Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 09:16 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The bible states otherwise.
I didn't know this because I grew up in a Bible literal cult, but most Christians don't take that stuff as historical. Most Christians do not believe God destroyed every human and animal in a flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 09:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I didn't know this because I grew up in a Bible literal cult, but most Christians don't take that stuff as historical. Most Christians do not believe God destroyed every human and animal in a flood.
Thankfully.

It's good to be reminded that the majority of Christians understand metaphors, allegory and myth.

ETA: And that their bible contains measures of each.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:32 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Growing up Southern Baptist many years ago they believed that God did flood the world. A bit of an assumption thinking most Christians don't. I guess in the end it depends on who you ask.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:16 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
I had low expectations, but the video in the OP was quite well-done. Too bad the discussion so quickly deteriorated into the "same old, same old." Did too, did not, are too, are not, neener neener.

The uncanny thing about all New Age theologies is that they wear an appealing mask of peace and love but eviscerate the key Christian doctrines. Human nature is flawed as the result of sin and humans are incapable of reaching the divine through their own efforts and are subject to judgment by their creator: that's Christianity. No, in New Age theologies sin is non-existent and humans are inherently divine, capable of achieving divinity through their own efforts, and not subject to judgment at all. New Age theologies are the 180-degree antithesis of Christianity.

I've often said that if Satan were bent on leading the maximum number of people astray, he would not do so through some cartoonish Church of Satan, goofy gibberish like Theosophy (try reading Isis Unveiled, I dare you) or even through atheism since it will always have limited appeal. No, he would do so through clever counterfeits of Christianity, such as New Age theologies that trumpet peace, love and freedom from judgment but completely gut Christianity of its central doctrines.

Even better than that, if Satan could get people to trumpet peace, love and freedom from judgment and completely gut Christianity of its central doctrines while still claiming the result was Christianity - well, bingo, he would've hit the jackpot. Oh, you say he has?

Yes, they do and that's exactly why they are so popular and have slid into a lot of Christian denominations, and the Christians, thinking that ALL judging is a bad thing and makes them "unloving", soak it up like a sponge. All anyone has to do is go into any large bookstore and go the New Age section, and compare notes there on the titles with what's being heralded in the Christian section. The sheep may not know who the wolves are, but the wolves don't have that problem; I've seen well known "Christian" authors in the New Age section. Peace

Old 06-02-2017, 07:09 AM

331 posts, read 315,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I say Satan is a construct of primitive, black and white thinking.

Doing the right thing and being a good person are simply the right things to do and be.

No god necessary.

Certainly no Satan required to blame if a mature person is willing to accept responsibility for his/her actions.
Fair enough, but the issue for me is not whether God is "necessary" or Satan is "required" but whether they ontologically exist. I would hope that if I had reached the conclusion they did not exist, I nevertheless would have adopted the philosophy stated in your second sentence. (How many people actually do adopt this philosophy, however? In my experience, comparatively few, whether believers or non-believers. This philosophy is just not human nature. I always say the only reason I have never taken a fall like we are seeing with Tiger Woods is simply because I have been blessed with a quiet life that never required me to deal with the temptations of being a good-looking, supremely talented, mega-famous billionaire. Human nature being what it is, I cannot be confident I would have handled those temptations any better.)

"The satan" in Jewish OT theology, as I understand it, was less the arch-fiend of Christianity and more an agitator with a place in the heavenly court as portrayed in the Book of Job. (Actually, the original use of "satan" was as a verb meaning roughly "oppose.") So that construct was not so primitive or black and white, but fairly subtle. While non-believers like to ridicule the OT as cartoonishly primitive, the reality is that it is far more sophisticated, nuanced and enlightened than other ancient accounts. See Is God a Moral Monster? Making Sense of the Old Testament God by Paul Copan, https://www.amazon.com/God-Moral-Mon.../dp/0801072751.

Christians, of course, take their cues from Jesus, who was more explicit about the identity and nature of Satan. Jesus obviously understood verses like Isaiah 14:12 (""How you have fallen from heaven, O star of the morning, son of the dawn! You have been cut down to the earth, you who have weakened the nations!") as referring to Satan, and the Christian perspective is "Jesus would know."

As with many Christian doctrines, I concern myself less with the precise identity of Satan or precisely how the interplay between good and evil works in God's plan and more with the real-world question, "Can the evil I see at work in human affairs be accounted for in purely human terms, or is there a supernatural dimension?" My conclusion, for a variety of reasons, including evidence from the paranormal sphere, is that there is a supernatural dimension - a cosmic force of evil that makes use of human nature and influences events.

The Jewish Holocaust and the abortion holocaust, to cite two examples, are difficult for me to explain in purely human terms. Others may disagree and obviously will if their paradigm excludes the possibility of supernatural evil. As to why God allows evil to exist, or does not at least nip events like the Holocaust in the bud, the only conclusion can be that allowing evil to run its course in human affairs serves God's larger purpose for humanity.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:46 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
.......(the usual diatribe about how bad and hopeless humans are and claims about "new age thought").... and not subject to judgment at all....
The usual bullwhoop stuck in among theological inanities about institutional Christianity ALWAYS comes to this lying accusation because "judgement" just HAS to be infinite punishment for finite crimes.

"Judgement" can only be viewed as consequences for anti-social behavior which can have an educational effect. Anything else is just ugly revenge.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:56 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Yes, they do and that's exactly why they are so popular and have slid into a lot of Christian denominations, and the Christians, thinking that ALL judging is a bad thing and makes them "unloving", soak it up like a sponge. All anyone has to do is go into any large bookstore and go the New Age section, and compare notes there on the titles with what's being heralded in the Christian section. The sheep may not know who the wolves are, but the wolves don't have that problem; I've seen well known "Christian" authors in the New Age section. Peace
No one said that. I'm specifically talking about the "judging" that says a new born child, toddler is sinful just because it is human. I'm talking about the mindset that says humans are incapable of good without punishment or reward. If I didn't believe in some type of discerning I wouldn't see a difference between the saying humans are fundamentally good or fundamentally flawed. In fact, there are people on this board that don't see the difference between someone lying to save face and harming a child because sin is sin and we are all sinners so how dare I call out that pedo.

I'm not New Age but it seems humanists appear to be New Age to non humanists. There is no woowoo needed to have respect for your fellow man or yourself for that matter.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:00 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
^ "respect" good word

Old 06-02-2017, 08:29 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
Satan is anyone that tells one of God's children that they are less than, incapable and flawed. Satan tells people that God means to harm them. Satan lies. God would never harm one of his children.
Not even the amalekites and caananites? Or all of mankind save 8? I guess Jesus doesn't love "all" the little children of the world.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:34 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Not even the amalekites and caananites? Or all of mankind save 8? I guess Jesus doesn't love "all" the little children of the world.
He watches every single death of child.

Another 20000 died of starvation yesterday and another 20k tomorrow and the next day and so on.

Worship the god that kills children. Simply crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality