U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 06:14 PM

4,976 posts, read 1,585,356 times

Advertisements

So they always were going to die. It's just that eating from the tree of knowledge revealed that to them and made them realize they also needed to eat from the tree of life. Before they could get to the tree of life they were expelled. ???

Edit: this kind of leads me to believe that if we were did become immortal it would be against God's wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You mean cherry - picking the Quran? I just hope the Muslim Brotherhood isn't watching that video.
When I say it I mean cherry picking everything that comes my way because I can. Limiting to just one book doesn't work for me.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:13 PM

8,330 posts, read 11,748,683 times
Quote:
Sorry- I got bored (1) with his life story about how he became an atheist, let alone how he became a Muslim (if there was a Good reason it'll be the first one I ever heard) , so why don't you just save us a lot of time and tell us what he said?

(1) I found that either accoustic or his mumbling made it hard to listen to, as well.
A good reason is to believe in a God of some sort, but to bring Jesus down to a prophet rather than a divine being. If anyone would think that is a good reason to become a Muslim I would think that it would be someone like yourself.

It may not sound like much to evolve out of the Trinitarian view, but I think it's actually huge.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:39 PM

1,514 posts, read 761,058 times
Snakes represent the cyclic nature of life as they shed their skin,like the ouroboros they are in constant renewal.Creation out of destruction, life out of death.Things dying,being destroyed and being reborn,flowers,humans etc.The knowledge he invites is of the mysteries.But God offered eternity instead,to move away from the cyclic nature of life,with a promise of neither death or destruction.

Reminds me of the well known legend across Africa that God had promised everyone eternity but a slow moving chameleon didn't deliver the message in time causing us all to die instead.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:20 PM

8,330 posts, read 11,748,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Snakes represent the cyclic nature of life as they shed their skin,like the ouroboros they are in constant renewal.Creation out of destruction, life out of death.Things dying,being destroyed and being reborn,flowers,humans etc.The knowledge he invites is of the mysteries.But God offered eternity instead,to move away from the cyclic nature of life,with a promise of neither death or destruction.

Reminds me of the well known legend across Africa that God had promised everyone eternity but a slow moving chameleon didn't deliver the message in time causing us all to die instead.
There are also many links between Jesus and the serpent. Not only in the NT but in the story of Moses lifting up the snake in the desert. The serpent is the "son of man" who is basically the lower working classes of humanity. Those in humble positions have more spiritual insight and wisdom.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:24 PM

3,381 posts, read 1,220,484 times
Quote:
Sorry- I got bored (1) with his life story about how he became an atheist, let alone how he became a Muslim (if there was a Good reason it'll be the first one I ever heard) , so why don't you just save us a lot of time and tell us what he said?

(1) I found that either accoustic or his mumbling made it hard to listen to, as well.
The second part I agree with. The audio quality is bad. Headphones help if you care to listen again to the referred portion of the video. I really wish if you could.

For the first part, I REALLY didn't want you do all that. The idea is, in the Islamic faith, the story of Adam does not start with the forbidden fruit chapter. There is a fundamental part before that. Which infact directly answers the OP. And hence I think this is THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE between Islam and Christian faith.

In the Christian faith - man was expelled from heaven as a punishment for eating the forbidden fruit. And now we are all suffering, and hence there is a need of a savior - which brings the concept of "Jesus the son of God, and Jesus the lamb of God", into the picture.

In the Islamic faith, God created man to be sent to earth, to begin with.
Whether man ate the forbidden fruit or not, he was destined to earth.

God sent messangers and prophets from time to time among all nations - And these messengers and prophets reminded their followers with one common message - Monotheism.

And in the end, every nation will be judged in the light of the message brought to them by their prophet. Which negates the necessity of Jesus being "The only way". In the Islamic belief, Jesus was also a prophet of God who was a continuation of the reminder of monotheism.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:03 PM

This link is interesting

https://www.quora.com/How-do-Jews-interpret-Genesis-3

Old 01-20-2018, 03:59 AM

2,827 posts, read 1,732,603 times
It wasn't fruit.

Humans made a decision to change their reality from one of moral relativism, to one of moral polarism.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:04 AM

2,827 posts, read 1,732,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
So they always were going to die. It's just that eating from the tree of knowledge revealed that to them and made them realize they also needed to eat from the tree of life. Before they could get to the tree of life they were expelled. ???

Edit: this kind of leads me to believe that if we were did become immortal it would be against God's wishes.
No. They were mortal because the conditions of knowledge of good/evil (guilt/shame) were such that having eternal life would create a conditoion of endless torment.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:29 AM

33,621 posts, read 8,521,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The second part I agree with. The audio quality is bad. Headphones help if you care to listen again to the referred portion of the video. I really wish if you could.

For the first part, I REALLY didn't want you do all that. The idea is, in the Islamic faith, the story of Adam does not start with the forbidden fruit chapter. There is a fundamental part before that. Which infact directly answers the OP. And hence I think this is THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE between Islam and Christian faith.

In the Christian faith - man was expelled from heaven as a punishment for eating the forbidden fruit. And now we are all suffering, and hence there is a need of a savior - which brings the concept of "Jesus the son of God, and Jesus the lamb of God", into the picture.

In the Islamic faith, God created man to be sent to earth, to begin with.
Whether man ate the forbidden fruit or not, he was destined to earth.

God sent messangers and prophets from time to time among all nations - And these messengers and prophets reminded their followers with one common message - Monotheism.

And in the end, every nation will be judged in the light of the message brought to them by their prophet. Which negates the necessity of Jesus being "The only way". In the Islamic belief, Jesus was also a prophet of God who was a continuation of the reminder of monotheism.
Ok, I get the difference. I can see how it might persuade a Christian to convert to Islam, but I fail to understand how it would persuade an atheist, unless it was one of those who knew sod all about the questions and answers and was an irreligious Christianity droput (does he even know what an atheist is?) looking for another religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
It wasn't fruit.

Humans made a decision to change their reality from one of moral relativism, to one of moral polarism.
Was that a good or bad decision? Because if moral relativism is a good thing, then Humanism is better than the very polarized, not to say biased, religious moral code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality