U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:27 AM

12,451 posts, read 4,686,921 times

Advertisements

My take on the forbidden fruit story?

It’s simple: sex is extremely desirable and pleasurable, but it’s also the root cause of all human suffering. Before reliable birth control methods, sex meant lots of babies. Lots of babies meant lots of hungry mouths to feed, which meant endless toil in the farm fields. It also meant endless wars for farmland.

Sexual desire is “nature’s ultimate trick.” The serpent and the forbidden fruit = sexual desire, which makes an eden-like paradise for humanity impossible (mainly due to the mismatch between the need for food and the supply of food).

The story is an allegory for the horror of the human condition.

Last edited by Freak80; 02-01-2018 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 11:34 AM

327 posts, read 121,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

It’s simple: sex is extremely desirable and pleasurable, but it’s also the root cause of all human suffering. Before reliable birth control methods, sex meant lots of babies. Lots of babies meant lots of hungry mouths to feed, which meant endless toil in the farm fields. It also meant endless wars for farmland.

Sexual desire is “nature’s ultimate trick.” The serpent and the forbidden fruit = sexual desire, which makes an eden-like paradise for humanity impossible (mainly due to the mismatch between the need for food and the supply of food).

You have fun, and the offspring pays the price, why daddy, why 130 million babies a year daddy? Why?

-
But really now, how could that be? God said, "Go forth and multiply."

The serpent and the forbidden fruit = sexual desire, is an old wives tale. Which would indeed make any Eden like paradise impossible. God said go forth and multiply. Why get married? Promise and Lie? And commit adultery? Then began the knife, what's God got to do with anything? You are my man, Adam. Two company, three's a crowd.

So God gave a warning, "Eat everything you desire, except the fruit from the tree of knowledge in which is the fruit of good and evil, in which is a seed, which could bring eternal life or eternal death...depending upon how knowledge is used. And God said, "I'll take care of all the hungry mouths, you just go forth and multiply."

But Eve was a contentious cunning woman before God and her man. God didn't make any sense, the fruit looked pleasant, she desired it, she thought it over, she took and did eat. And she gave to Adam and he did eat also. And they went and hid. Some serpent beguiled me!

"Now the serpent [That Lying Tongue], was more subtle than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made." -Gen. 3:1 ...more subtle than any beast which the Lord God had made? And I believe that same serpent that deceived Eve is the same that gave Adam to think, what could a few little lies and tricky tricks ever hurt? It's all in fun.

And that was about the end of paradise, and sex meant babies and mouths to feed and a women to please and hard work and eating dust all the days of life. And the lies grew bigger. And the tricks grew bigger. Contentiousness got worse. And once the lies kicked in they began to believe in them and unto this very day we go around deceiving ourselves and we hide ourselves from God and each other.

Woulda been more fun the other way.

"The prudence of the wise is that they will watch their ways, and turn aside from wickedness; but the folly of fools is deception."

Old 02-01-2018, 03:21 PM

2,494 posts, read 1,124,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Since this is not Christian, per se...it is here in Religion.

What is your take on the garden, fruit, Eden story?
The word 'blame' was brought up in another thread...do you think God 'blamed'
Adam and Eve?
I don't.

I thought it was clear, (but I see, now, like mud).
Again, my take shouldn't influence the direction of this thread...I can give my take later on.

Do you think it is all metaphor? Do think it happened?
Anything goes...are you mad at God for the whole thing?

Oh, and when I say 'your take'...I didn't mean long copy/pasts of Bible verses...but I suppose that will be inevitable.
Its a poorly written story. They could have thought better.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:18 PM

10,059 posts, read 7,161,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
snip
The serpent and the forbidden fruit = sexual desire, is an old wives tale.
snip
What's cool is the actual physical act of sex (and we have to assume it's as the Bible intended, virgin until marriage, man and woman, till death do they part) is symbolic of the reuniting of the bride and groom, Christ and the church, the awesomeness of orgasm as it was intended can I say that here? So heaven really is beyond our wildest imagination.

The garden will be restored. It's probably still here anyway in another time space continuum. That dimension stuff is hard to grasp. Faith, trusting that which cannot be seen.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:18 PM

12,334 posts, read 3,927,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
What's cool is the actual physical act of sex (and we have to assume it's as the Bible intended, virgin until marriage, man and woman, till death do they part) is symbolic of the reuniting of the bride and groom, Christ and the church, the awesomeness of orgasm as it was intended can I say that here? So heaven really is beyond our wildest imagination.

The garden will be restored. It's probably still here anyway in another time space continuum. That dimension stuff is hard to grasp. Faith, trusting that which cannot be seen.
No, You can't say that.

A third of heaven fell to the earth, and each one that fell must be born on this earth to bear a son of God, he has that chance if he studies. When all those who fell have matured, then it will be over. Over a 7000 year period, these fallen have been born in each generation until all of them are born.

The world could not sustain them all at once, and so a time period was set down for the fallen to be born in every generation until they have all matured.

Heaven it seems, is just that,'' Beyond our imagination.''

The reason being is that we are the fallen looking up.

It's a hell of a thing when a person is in hell and he don't know it. Each elect has an appointed time to live as a second chance, or who knows how many chances, but we are the fallen.

Is it now or never?

My question is,'' Since we are the fallen and since we have fallen to this place, will we yet be given a third chance?''

Are you born again?

Being born again means you have studied the law and the prophets feeding your new born child the milk of the word until he can eat the meat, and you are the one who has to raise and mature this new born son. A firstfruit son of God is not a baby, he is a son who has matured in his studies and he will be born again, but wie unto those with children and weaning children.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:33 PM

2,331 posts, read 648,511 times
Fruit of knowledge of good and evil:

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was of course a spiritual thing.

I think we were meant to eat from the forbidden tree even though God commanded Adam not to eat from it because it would bring death (in all its many forms) to all people. But we were ordained to experience that knowledge and ever since the first sin, all have been born into the "death realm" and suffered under the curse of knowing about good and evil.

If we didn't 'KNOW' - how would we be sentient and even angelic or beings made in God's image? God wants us to be REAL from the heart - not robots on auto-pilot and I believe the thing he wants most is those who love goodness and seek after righteousness which is what it means to seek holiness. This is certainly not some simple list of do/s and don't/s cooked up by various factions of believers, rather it is the seeking after God with a hunger to be transformed into beings who have no desire to harm others, no desire to do anything we would not want done unto us. God's GLORY IS his righteousness, his ways, his innermost intentions of love toward us who were born into and bound by chains of disobedience and spiritual blindness. To desire God with every bit of our strength mind/will/body and soul - that is to eat from the tree of Life. Of course doing so takes spiritual maturing - growing up into Christ. So many are held back by all manner of frivolous and false teachings, fear mongering, our own flesh, being the more easy and comfortable way. I can only cry when I think of how much time I may have wasted and done my own desires or my mistaken ideas about what I ought to do.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:57 AM

20,693 posts, read 20,428,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Fruit of knowledge of good and evil:

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was of course a spiritual thing.

I think we were meant to eat from the forbidden tree even though God commanded Adam not to eat from it because it would bring death (in all its many forms) to all people. But we were ordained to experience that knowledge and ever since the first sin, all have been born into the "death realm" and suffered under the curse of knowing about good and evil.

If we didn't 'KNOW' - how would we be sentient and even angelic or beings made in God's image? God wants us to be REAL from the heart - not robots on auto-pilot and I believe the thing he wants most is those who love goodness and seek after righteousness which is what it means to seek holiness. This is certainly not some simple list of do/s and don't/s cooked up by various factions of believers, rather it is the seeking after God with a hunger to be transformed into beings who have no desire to harm others, no desire to do anything we would not want done unto us. God's GLORY IS his righteousness, his ways, his innermost intentions of love toward us who were born into and bound by chains of disobedience and spiritual blindness. To desire God with every bit of our strength mind/will/body and soul - that is to eat from the tree of Life. Of course doing so takes spiritual maturing - growing up into Christ. So many are held back by all manner of frivolous and false teachings, fear mongering, our own flesh, being the more easy and comfortable way. I can only cry when I think of how much time I may have wasted and done my own desires or my mistaken ideas about what I ought to do.
Beautifully stated.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:46 AM

650 posts, read 225,894 times
Quote:
Metaphorical myth is fine with me...how about why do u think man came up with it...you could
take that as a talking point...
I have no clue but maybe for power and control by messing with people's heads. Really emphasizes God being an all powerful authoritarian figure and makes people feel guilt, shame, sin for desiring things that all humans need.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:04 AM

3,694 posts, read 1,173,680 times
Quote:
Since this is not Christian, per se...it is here in Religion.

What is your take on the garden, fruit, Eden story?
The word 'blame' was brought up in another thread...do you think God 'blamed'
Adam and Eve?
I don't.

I thought it was clear, (but I see, now, like mud).
Again, my take shouldn't influence the direction of this thread...I can give my take later on.

Do you think it is all metaphor? Do think it happened?
Anything goes...are you mad at God for the whole thing?

Oh, and when I say 'your take'...I didn't mean long copy/pasts of Bible verses...but I suppose that will be inevitable.
Did it happen?
It still happens every day to everyone.
You cannot hold good and evil knowledge within.

It's as simple as the language it is written in, plain in meaning such that a child can grasp it, but apparently not adults.

Keep it simple.
Because it is.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:08 AM

3,694 posts, read 1,173,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

Jesus Christ.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality