Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,220,535 times

Advertisements

Since this is not Christian, per se...it is here in Religion.

What is your take on the garden, fruit, Eden story?
The word 'blame' was brought up in another thread...do you think God 'blamed'
Adam and Eve?
I don't.

I thought it was clear, (but I see, now, like mud).
Again, my take shouldn't influence the direction of this thread...I can give my take later on.

Do you think it is all metaphor? Do think it happened?
Anything goes...are you mad at God for the whole thing?

Oh, and when I say 'your take'...I didn't mean long copy/pasts of Bible verses...but I suppose that will be inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 10:15 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,502,115 times
So would be my "take" on what is surely a clearly metaphorical myth. So I'm 'Out' of this thread, too, and will leave it to the religious -symbolism enthusiasts.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-24-2017 at 11:25 AM..

Old 05-24-2017, 12:20 PM

22,848 posts, read 10,246,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Adam and Eve?
I don't.

Again, my take shouldn't influence the direction of this thread...I can give my take later on.

Oh, and when I say 'your take'...I didn't mean long copy/pasts of Bible verses...but I suppose that will be inevitable.
Adultery.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
So would be my "take" on what is surely a clearly metaphorical myth. So I'm 'Out' of this thread, too, and will leave it to the religious -symbolism enthusiasts.
Metaphorical myth is fine with me...how about why do u think man came up with it...you could
take that as a talking point...

Old 05-24-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Adultery.
Adultery is usually seen as a breech in a sexual bond and vow between a married couple, no?
A betrayal....but more than just a lie told behind a friend's back.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:44 PM

10,904 posts, read 5,877,981 times
It's a myth and in this myth Adam and Eve were the first and only two people so adutery would be impossible.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:48 PM

22,848 posts, read 10,246,546 times
Quote:
Adultery is usually seen as a breech in a sexual bond and vow between a married couple, no?
A betrayal....but more than just a lie told behind a friend's back.
Men are seen as trees just as Nebachadnezra or Jesus, or any priest as an olive tree, an oak of Bashan, a cedar of Lebanon, a cypress tree.

When they were standing amongst the trees, they were standing amongst men with grand ideas that were not all the same.

They partook of a fruit that God had forbid them to take.

They chose the fruit and teaching of the wrong thing from the wrong person because God told them not to eat of that fruit.

They chose the wrong harvest, and then they tried to cover themselves in the wrong harvest and then God showed them what was correct in order to Be covered, and then Cain came with the wrong harvest and this continued.

They were committing adultery against God just as they did at Sinai, they went against the word of God and what harvest God told them not to partake. The Holy days are harvests.

Just my opinion of course.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:07 PM

27,898 posts, read 29,718,726 times
Quote:

Adam and Eve?
I don't.

I see the story of "The Fall" as metaphorical, but also as representative of something that actually did transpire. I'm still actually kind of undecided as to how much of the story is factual and how much isn't. I do believe that at some point, mankind fell from grace, and that this Fall can be attributed to the disobedience of two individuals who succumbed to temptation from an actual being who can be described as the embodiment of evil. As to whether I think God "blamed" Adam and Eve, I'm not sure that's the word I'd use. I think He gave them instructions which they clearly disobeyed, and that He therefore held them accountable for their disobedience. At the same time, until they supposedly ate the "forbidden fruit," they did not have the "knowledge of good and evil" that the fruit of the tree was supposed to give them. Since I understand "sin" to be the intentional disregard of a religious law or moral principle, I don't think God actually considered their transgression to be "sin." In other words, you can't choose good over evil until you have the capability of understanding the difference between the two.

Am I mad at God for the whole thing? Not at all. Nor am I mad at Adam and Eve. I think they did exactly what God knew they would do under the circumstances, and exactly what they needed to do in order to get God's Plan of Salvation underway. I don't believe God ever intended mankind to live in blissful ignorance. I believe He intended that we be expected to learn to choose good over evil, and experience the full spectrum of human feelings as we progress to become what He wants us to become as His own offspring.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:14 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,039,997 times
Quote:

Adam and Eve?
I don't.

Here is my take

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
And the head El-o-hym layeth a charge on the man, saying, `Of every Rhod of the garden eating thou dost eat;
and of the Rhod seeing and knowing Good&Evil, thou dost eat of it, NOT, thou shalt die-die in the day that thou eatest thereof'

(or "and of the Rhod Good-Reu-Seeing-El, thou dost eat of it, for thou shalt kill death in the day that thou eatest thereof")

Now the serpent was more crafty (aruwm) than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

And the woman said unto the serpent, `Of the fruit of the Rhods of the garden we do eat,
But of the fruit of the Rhod which is in the interior of the garden, El-o-hym has said,
"Ye shall eat of it not; ye shall die"

And the serpent (named Good&Evil) said unto the woman,
"Ye shall eat of it; not ye shall die for knowing Kym-u-el".
For in the day you eat thereof your eyes shall be opened.
And you shall be like (in the image of) El-o-hym

Knowing Good&Evil, the woman saw that the Rhod was good for food,
and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and desired the Rhod.
To the bereaved she took the fruit thereof, and did eat.
And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked (eyrom)

(Who was right God or the serpent? Maybe both were right. Maybe their bodies did die when they ate from the tree but their consciousness was uploaded to a computer.)

And the head El-o-hym said to the woman, `What [is] this you have done?'
and the woman said, `The (sneaky) snake snaked me -- and I did eat

Old 05-24-2017, 01:17 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,021,333 times
An allegory for maturing - losing the innocence and freedom of childhood and accepting the responsibilities and consequences of adulthood.

I don't believe the teensiest whit of it to have actually happened. But it's an interesting story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality