Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 07:09 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I guess, if I knew without question there was no God I wouldn't feel so bad about raising animals for food.

Confused about what that has to do with anything?

I'm an atheist and I have been a vegetarian for 32 years.
I don't personally see any connection between animal farming and either atheism or theism for that matter.
Unless you belong to a specific religion that thinks animals are sacred? I'd be interested to hear more about what you mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 03:16 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,171,851 times
In response to the topic.
I would still try and do right and not wrong.

Why would you do less?

Old 06-20-2017, 08:52 AM

105 posts, read 53,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What would or would not change for you and how you live your life if you somehow found out that, without question, no god exists?
Cool, as I would not change a thing the way I lived my life.

What would really change the world positively is if there was significantly less believe in a god, especially when there are so many the think their particular god tell them to dominate, rule over, or even kill those who don't believe the particular version of their god.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:00 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,405 times
Quote:
What would or would not change for you and how you live your life if you somehow found out that, without question, no god exists?
If she doesn't exist or if they don't exist, I would be fine, and maybe a little relieved too. I'd live my life the same: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, unless they throw the first punch, all bets are off.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:59 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
zero-I know there isn't one, since like the third grade.

well, maybe a little bit. i wouldn't have to explain how science/scientist does/do work.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:22 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Nice quip!
Yes, it was quite clever.

Quote:
I let that one run on a bit. Because there was the possible point of God said animals were for us to use. The Animal sacrifice point comes close to that.
Biblically speaking, meat eating did not occur until after the flood.

Quote:
So that raises the question of why you'd feel better about breeding animals for food if you didn't believe in a god
I prefaced the post with I guess I'd feel better about it...perhaps then I could view animals as soulless clumps of meats or simply as beast of burden.
Quote:
and why belief in a god that supposedly made animals for us to use would make us feel sensitive about it.
Most people are not sensitive about it...people reverence life in different ways.

Quote:
I suggest that it is the old story - That religion in fact goes along with animal exploitation and it is disbelief, becoming aware of the ethical as questions rather than cut and dried answers that makes us more caring about humans and then, after seeing that animals have feelings, too (the question of animal souls is utterly unhelpful here) we extend human empathy feelings to them.
Religion has little to do with this matter; it's innate.

Quote:
And then the other aspect of the old story - those humanist empathy feelings are credited to religion. Just part of the Big Lie where whatever happens or does not, good or bad is held up as evidence for God, even when it clearly isn't.
Always good to throw in a rant against religion.
I don't think some people can accept the fact that there are humanist who revere a higher power.

Last edited by gabfest; 06-22-2017 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: msp.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:34 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,726,828 times
Quote:
I would worship Life and water sun because you can't have one with out the others . then I would wonder why they are in such perfect balance in the earth.. which would lead me back to worshipping whoever made the sun the water and life or who ever or whatever keeps these in balance.

now you have to answer what if you u found out for sure that there is a maker and he keeps all things in balance to date anyway . how in that split second will you change your life knowing he is there and you have not seen him nor thanked him ?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:39 PM

105 posts, read 53,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
I would worship Life and water sun because you can't have one with out the others . then I would wonder why they are in such perfect balance in the earth.. which would lead me back to worshipping whoever made the sun the water and life or who ever or whatever keeps these in balance.

now you have to answer what if you u found out for sure that there is a maker and he keeps all things in balance to date anyway . how in that split second will you change your life knowing he is there and you have not seen him nor thanked him ?
What makes you think there is a "he" there? Why does there have to be a maker? What if the universe, or the multiverses, always existed?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:41 PM

301 posts, read 295,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post

For the record I am an atheist. I eat meat because it is tasty. I am the only carnivore in my family as my wife and kids are vegetarians. I love my dog and even my chickens to some extent since we raised them from birth (or out of the egg if you will). I do value live but I also accept the nature of the food chain and so it doesn't bother me as much to eat meat. If I could get the same amount of protein in something I found I could eat as often I would. Anyway....

As to if I found out there was a maker is a valid question if we are asking theists the opposite.

Personally, I couldn't find any deity worthy of my worship unless it was showed how he was keeping things in balance because as it is, things aren't in balance. Exponential population is out of control, as is disease, famine, homelessness, etc. in a time when we should be celebrating our achievement over much of what has plagued us since we split off from our the common ancestor of other primates. The earth is being destroyed, in many ways that will take thousands if not millions of years to fix. We could be sitting on the cusp of dooming the human race to extinction or near extinction. I would be angry and asking if he / she is capable of holding things in balance then why do they not do it.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:00 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Yes, it was quite clever.

Biblically speaking, meat eating did not occur until after the flood.

I prefaced the post with I guess I'd feel better about it...perhaps then I could view animals as soulless clumps of meats or simply as beast of burden. Most people are not sensitive about it...people reverence life in different ways.

Religion has little to do with this matter; it's innate.

Always good to throw in a rant against religion.
I don't think some people can accept the fact that there are humanist who revere a higher power.
Well yes, my post was putting the old point of ascribing human ethics and empathy to the credit of religion. That's something for an atheist to rant about.

And it is a useful one if it causes the the Humanist - who -believes -in-a Higher -Power to ask where morals and empathy and feeling for animals comes from. And if, after all the debunking of the Morals prove God -claim, they still think it is down to a sorta- god ("Higher Power" is a fine piece of poison in the bacon theistic rhetoric) they should ask why they do.

And, if they don't, they should ask what this Higher Power is and whether it actually does anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality