U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 05:19 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,868,682 times

Advertisements

"Beware the fanatic! Too often his cure is deadlier by far than the evil he denounces!"

Stan Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 10:05 PM

6,183 posts, read 3,865,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
one does not need religion to have morals, if you can't determine right from wrong, you lack empathy and common sense, not religion.
The quote starts @ time stamp --> 23:54

Old 08-18-2017, 08:40 AM

300 posts, read 94,695 times
Quote:
Yet what we really want is not a haste to act, [to practicality], but a certain piety toward the source of action and knowledge. In fact we have to say that there is a certain beatitude, — I can call it nothing less, — to which all men are entitled, tasted by them in different degrees, which is a perfection of their nature, and to which their entrance must be in every way forwarded. Practical men, though they could lift the globe, cannot arrive at this. Something very different has to be done,—the availing ourselves of every impulse of genius, an emanation of the heaven it tells of, and the resisting this conspiracy of men and material things against the sanitary and legitimate inspirations of the intellectual nature.
Emerson

Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Our eating, trading, marrying, and learning are mistaken by us for ends and realities, whilst they are properly symbols only; when we have come, by a divine leading, into the inner firmament, we are apprised of the unreality or representative character of what we esteemed final.
Emerson

Old 08-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
My belief in the use of a course on philosophy is that the student shall learn to appreciate the miracle of the mind; shall learn its subtle but immense power, or shall begin to learn it; shall come to know that in seeing and in no tradition, he must find what truth is; that he shall see in it the source of all traditions, and shall see each one of them as better or worse statement of its revelations; shall come to trust it entirely, as the only true; to cleave to God against the name of God. When he has once known the oracle he will need no priest.

From his Natural History Of Intellect

Old 08-25-2017, 09:15 AM

13,576 posts, read 6,019,827 times
"traditions, and shall see each one of them as better or worse statement of its revelations;"

What I talk about most.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"traditions, and shall see each one of them as better or worse statement of its revelations;"

What I talk about most.
So you also give a thumbs up to "he shall see in it [mind] the source of all traditions"?

Quote:
In all sciences the student is discovering that
nature, as he calls it, is always working, in wholes
and in every detail, after the laws of the human
mind. Every creation, in parts or in particles, is
on the method and by the means which our mind
approves as soon as it is thoroughly acquainted
with the facts; hence the delight. No matter how
far or how high science explores, it adopts the
method of the universe as fast as it appears; and
this discloses that the mind as it opens, the mind
as it shall be, comprehends and works thus; that
is to say, the Intellect builds the universe and is
the key to all it contains.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:45 AM

I'm not sure I would say "the mind builds the universe," but it certainly builds our picture or understanding of it.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'm not sure I would say "the mind builds the universe," but it certainly builds our picture or understanding of it.
No expert am I on Emerson's religio-philosophic views, except they appear inspired at times, yet not always perfectly tidy and free of contradictions.

I do think that greater Intellect is behind and within the universe and not just a human mind's understanding of it.

Whether that greater Mind is one or or many gods or simply innate in the universe (or a combination of all three) is one of those Big Questions.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
No expert am I on Emerson's religio-philosophic views, except they appear inspired at times, yet not always perfectly tidy and free of contradictions.

I do think that greater Intellect is behind and within the universe and not just a human mind's understanding of it.

Whether that greater Mind is one or or many gods or simply innate in the universe (or a combination of all three) is one of those Big Questions.
Yes, it is. I'm not even sure that "intellect" is a proper term, though "consciousness" seems inescapable if there is some kind of "behind or within the universe." Can they be separate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality