Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 09:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I agree with many of your posts. But here, you are denigrating the effect of placebos. They work for a significant portion of the population in a significant number of situations.

It's not religion that empowers "helpless, or worthless" people to feel like they are not.

It's belief.

Belief may be the most powerful force in the universe.
Whether it is a good placebo or not, believing irrationally is delusional. The fact that most of the world does it does not make it any less delusional. The fact that there is no one defining placebo, attest to its delusion.

I don't have a problem with God believers practicing irrational faith for the placebo affect. What bothers me is when they ignorantly claim I'm the delusional one while thinking rationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 10:11 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Whether it is a good placebo or not, believing irrationally is delusional. The fact that most of the world does it does not make it any less delusional. The fact that there is no one defining placebo, attest to its delusion.

I don't have a problem with God believers practicing irrational faith for the placebo affect. What bothers me is when they ignorantly claim I'm the delusional one while thinking rationally.
Playing the victim card. I'd love to see you find one single post on this forum where someone said you or any atheist delusional. Yes, I am calling you out. Show us. You have your homework. I think you are incorrect.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Playing the victim card. I'd love to see you find one single post on this forum where someone said you or any atheist delusional. Yes, I am calling you out. Show us. You have your homework. I think you are incorrect.
Try posts 6 and 18. Btw, atheist being referred to as delusional is not just a one thread occurrence, but I've better things to do than your homework.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:24 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Well now we know what the spiritual armor is for. Something needs to protect that thin skin.

https://www.gotquestions.org/full-armor-of-God.html

The phrase “full armor of God” comes from Ephesians 6:13-17: “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”

Old 06-10-2017, 11:49 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Just because most people believe in deities, therefore are statistically classified as normal, does not mean they are not delusional. Delusional-"characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder." One can have a delusional belief and still be normal. There is no evidence that a god(s) exist, and there has never been any evidence that god(s) exist. Believing in God doesn't mean he exists. It means believers are engaging in a common popular delusional thought.

There is every reason to consider belief in deities to be a delusion. You can't see God. You can't hear God. God doesn't talk to you or anyone else and has never been known or seen by anyone at any time (at least not which can be proven). How is that any different from believing aliens have invaded the planet and are masquerading as blonde high school cheerleaders or that Russian spies have implanted electrodes in a person's brain and are sucking the lifeforce from the individual, little by little? The only difference is popularity.
Hospitals have chaplains on staff.
Hospitals have chapels on site.
Hospitals use evidence based reaearch.

The reality is that hospitals, medical directors, and funding sources make the rational reasonable decision to recognize and include chaplains and chapels as a standard element in a person's health and well being.

You and a few others seem to have a problem with that reality and with that rationale. Your idiosyncratic beliefs and impressions are contradicted by reality and rational argument. Your post above suggests this as symtomatic of a mental disorder. Have you sought professional help for your preoccupation with aliens Russian spies and electrodes implanted in your brain?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-11-2017 at 12:48 AM..

Old 06-11-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Try posts 6 and 18. Btw, atheist being referred to as delusional is not just a one thread occurrence, but I've better things to do than your homework.
Nice try. Post 6 says nothing of the sort. Post 18 is by a fellow atheist claiming the victim card. Why did you make things up? What is nice is anyone can read posts 6 and 18 and see you are making things up. Why? I asked for proof, yet you can up empty.

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-11-2017 at 04:17 AM..

Old 06-11-2017, 04:24 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
This is why a scholar like William Lane Craig eats his New Atheist opponents alive in their debates,.....
LMAO! Now here we see the delusions of the believer at first hand. WLC bases his whole argument on the Gospels being true. He has NO OTHER argument and certainly NOTHING that can be classed as verifiable.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Nor am I. I actually wonder where that phrase came from. Hmm maybe Hebrews 11 where it says "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see". Well maybe not.
That scripture suggests that what we believe is not based on baseless hope, but on a certainty.
Just adding...of interest...
And don't forget Jesus supposedly said to Thomas...Blessed are they that have not seen, yet believe.
That started a whole 'thing' ....

In other words, "We're ok if we haven't seen a thing and just believe, because it sure sounds pretty.
And gives me hope...and I am blessed." (Which is not a bad thing, per se.)But, it seems to have stopped any search to actually witness or experience God themselves,
up-close and personal, intimately, within inside one's self...where the Kingdom of Heaven is...
where God dwells or 'Who art in'...Without this personal experience we then get a lot of spouting of scripture with little depth of
understanding...full of high hopes and promise, tho! (and letter of the law...that kills...)

Old 06-11-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Nice try. Post 6 says nothing of the sort. Post 18 is by a fellow atheist claiming the victim card. Why did you make things up? What is nice is anyone can read posts 6 and 18 and see you are making things up. Why? I asked for proof, yet you can up empty.
It appears your comprehension capability is lacking.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
It appears your comprehension capability is lacking.
I think not. One problem is that you think you can just say I have poor reading comprehension (thanks for the insult) and everyone will simply believe you. However, I not only have average or better reading comprehension, but the ability to copy and paste posts six and 18 for your perusal.

Post six:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
Yes, the irony is palpable in a post such as the one you quoted. Nonbelievers are not angry or driven by emotion. Oh, noooooo ... they operate strictly off of logic and rational analysis of the evidence. Actually, most of them are driven almost entirely by emotion and run from any evidence that might challenge their beliefs. There is no fundamentalist like an atheist fundamentalist. This is why a scholar like William Lane Craig eats his New Atheist opponents alive in their debates, while the atheist community waves its pom-poms like cheerleaders on the Titanic when the New Atheist opponent makes some snide retort that utterly fails to address the substance of what Craig has said.

It is the atheist fantasy that one day religion will go poof and all will be well. Ain't gonna happen. Religion is not going to go poof, and the world would be a far more dangerous place if it did. Atheists will always be a tiny segment squawking from the fringe because atheism is the ism that is badly out of touch with the reality in which the vast majority of humans live and always have lived.

In my experience, sincere believers do not engage in "magical thinking" (whatever that hackneyed phrase is supposed to mean). They arrive at their beliefs on the basis of experience, observation, study, reflection and intuition. They remain open to the clues from which the atheists hide. Atheists have assigned themselves to some "intellectual higher ground" from which they pretend they are in a position to decree who is thinking clearly and who is not - but, as you point out, this self-congratulatory stance simply will not withstand scrutiny.
Post 18:
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'v been called a liar, hateful, accused of not having morality, twisting people's words when I quote them and been told that I need to agree with someone's worldview because I just don't understand. That's on this board alone. Whatever. since your cut off seems to be at delusional I think saying I'm blinded by satan comes in close but if not this should do it.

You would know what the doctor means, and you would strictly heed his warning. Well, apostates are “mentally diseased,” and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings. (1 Tim. 6:3, 4) Jehovah, the Great Physician, tells us to avoid contact with them. We know what he means, but are we determined to heed his warning in all respects?

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011524
So maat, please tell me and our gentle readers where a poster said atheists are delusional? In case you don't understand why part of post 18 is italicized, it is an atheist quoting a Jehovah Witness writing.

Sorry. You need to do your homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality