Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 01:20 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
And paying cash to do so. What a racket!

Really crazy
Indeed. I've got to get in on that somehow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 02:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
At a Christian youth group one night, and a streetlight outside exploded.The church had a bit of an end times trip, and one girl started crying, and saying the persecution of Christians had started.

Last edited by Joe90; 06-20-2017 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-20-2017, 03:23 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Saw a video of a coffin being dropped during a funeral service inside the churh. I giggled just a little.
I presided over a funeral where the casket was dropped. Mind you the deceased was morbidly obese, the pallbearers had an average age of 70 and it was at the graveside, but they still dropped it. Never saw a funeral director jump so fast in my life.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I presided over a funeral where the casket was dropped. Mind you the deceased was morbidly obese, the pallbearers had an average age of 70 and it was at the graveside, but they still dropped it. Never saw a funeral director jump so fast in my life.
I've been a pallbearer some 20+ times and have witnessed/been a part of, a few near-disasters at the grave site -- especially in mid-winter during a snow storm, when footing can be very treacherous.

The longer the service, the more likely the pallbearer's hands will get numb. <--- just a heads-up, Rev.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:35 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Went to a tent meeting in the 70s, sawdust floor, charismatic preacher, the works. Saw people shaking, running around and falling out everywhere. Good times, lol.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:56 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
A pastor suffering a stroke at the start of his sermon would be number one.

In another case watching some men, many Nigerian who had more experience with sectarian violence, moving to surround a disruptive audience member ready to pounce should he do more than verbally insult the church and congregation during their meeting time.

Then there where a couple of the elaborate dances down the aisles of bridesmaids and groomsmen in the lets be traditional but add our own twist ceremonies.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:46 PM

105 posts, read 53,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I haven't attended church since I was about 12 years old. I still go to funerals though. About 20 years ago I was attending a Catholic funeral. One of the priests noticed that I didn't take communion and decided I might make a good convert. He went into his spiel and I eventually managed to tell him that I was an atheist. He began to question me about my atheism and I answered honestly. As I went on he began to get red in the face and tried to slap me. He was a small thin man I would guess to have been in his 70's. I simply raised my hand and blocked his slap. Then he began to rage at me, asking me if I had no fear for my mortal soul. And I told him, no, none at all. At which point he stalked away. I thought that was pretty funny.

It was a pretty stark example of the differences in the way individuals see the world. He could not imagine that I would not have at least some fear from my mortal soul, and I have trouble remembering just how pervasive some people's commitment to their ancient superstitious make believe actually is.
Having to go to Catholic school, in grade 12 I had a discussion with a priest about the virgin birth. My perspective was that either Jesus was a bastard, or Mary committed adultery. In the end, he just told me I had to have faith, and gave up on this heathen.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeBV View Post
Having to go to Catholic school, in grade 12 I had a discussion with a priest about the virgin birth. My perspective was that either Jesus was a bastard, or Mary committed adultery. In the end, he just told me I had to have faith, and gave up on this heathen.
It doesn't say anywhere that she gave her consent .....

Old 06-24-2017, 04:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I was at a Spanish-speaking church once, and I thought it was a Christian church but they kept invoking Zeus.

Every few minutes it was "Hey, Zeus!" "Hey, Zeus!"
'Zeus' is actually just Greek for 'deus' which is Latin for 'god' so not something out of the ordinary to hear in a Latin Mass.

I mean I got your joke, but just thought I would point that out.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:35 AM

1,058 posts, read 676,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
This is common in the black churches I was forced to attend as a child in the South. I enjoyed it, though, it was just a huge circus to me. The preacher had a perm and sang half the sermon (picture Arsenio Hall's character in 'Coming To America', that's based on the stereotypical Southern preacher).

I've always wanted to get up and sing a totally inappropriate song (folks also randomly stand and sing after a certain amount of time has passed, and many others will join in).
It's still just as common now, in black churches as well as any Pentecostal church. It's just like anything your raised up with I guess, it becomes normal. Speaking in toungues is called speaking the love language of God. I have been to many "whole in the wall" churches that were definitely Legitimate. I believe in the gift, not all have it and I certainly would understand someone being freaked out by going for the first time if they are a traditional lukewarm baptist.

The trouble I have now being in my 30s, I am now having more and more questions about the validity of all religions. Every culture is brought up with their own set of beliefs and religion. Whose to say any of it is wrong or right. I can see how religion has set some people free and how it has enslaved others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality