Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 10:51 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Humans have confused mental disorders with demonic/divine possession for centuries. Psych disorders used to always be blamed on demons. As we learn more about neuropsych, we see that it is not and never was demonic possession, but various forms if illness.
Remember though that Christianity is based on neuropsych illness, being that Apostle Paul had hallucinations brought on by seizures . or perhaps pointed out, various mental illness.
Oh and we have actual medical reasoning of that.
Psychological Profile
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7676119
You are fighting an uphill battle, KingCat. The lack of knowledge about mental illness and psychological dysfunction is legion. Regrettably, some of it is self-inflicted by those in the mental health industry exceeding their authority by overclaiming legitimate justification for their expansive and very subjective DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). There is considerable debate about what constitutes a real mental disorder or dysfunction ranging from those who see ONLY actual physical brain anomalies as a mental illness to those who extol the expansive use of subjective evaluations as found in the DSM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 05:45 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are fighting an uphill battle, KingCat. The lack of knowledge about mental illness and psychological dysfunction is legion. Regrettably, some of it is self-inflicted by those in the mental health industry exceeding their authority by overclaiming legitimate justification for their expansive and very subjective DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). There is considerable debate about what constitutes a real mental disorder or dysfunction ranging from those who see ONLY actual physical brain anomalies as a mental illness to those who extol the expansive use of subjective evaluations as found in the DSM.
We do know more now about mental health now than was known in Biblical times.
Science will forever experiment, reproduce and explain phenomena while magic will remain over in that category of myth and fantasy.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:23 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
What I find tough is trying to find out who caused me to 'sin'. Did Satan take time out of his busy day to tempt me personally? Or did he just send one of his legion of demons? Or, did I just do it because of my 'sinful nature' because Eve ate a piece of fruit? Or is it the old "flesh".

It's tough to figure out sometimes, so I just sin and then ask God to tell me which one was the culprit.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:38 AM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Yea, isn't it funny how people can believe that a demon possessed and kid, and somehow made him able to walk up the wall, across the ceiling, and do a flip over his grandma? How freaking ridiculous is this mess!?
Lionel Richie was able to do it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ovo6zwv6DX4

#ProofOfDemonicPossession

Old 06-23-2017, 06:38 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What I find tough is trying to find out who caused me to 'sin'. Did Satan take time out of his busy day to tempt me personally? Or did he just send one of his legion of demons? Or, did I just do it because of my 'sinful nature' because Eve ate a piece of fruit? Or is it the old "flesh".

It's tough to figure out sometimes, so I just sin and then ask God to tell me which one was the culprit.
The culprit is you.
Who caused you to sin is you.
You have free will to "do the right thing"
You choose to do it and take responsibility,
Or make excuses and blame others

Old 06-23-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Humans have confused mental disorders with demonic/divine possession for centuries. Psych disorders used to always be blamed on demons. As we learn more about neuropsych, we see that it is not and never was demonic possession, but various forms if illness.
Remember though that Christianity is based on neuropsych illness, being that Apostle Paul had hallucinations brought on by seizures . or perhaps pointed out, various mental illness.

Oh and we have actual medical reasoning of that.
Psychological Profile
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7676119
When I had my first panic attack, I actually wondered if it might be some kind of "demonic" phenomenon because it was so bizarre and terrifying. And I was living in a scientific age.

I'm not surprised that people in prescientific times often interpreted such experiences as supernatural encounters. There's a reason that some religions have psychoactive drugs as part of their ceremonies.

Some eastern religions speak of individuals achieving "enlightened" states; I can't help but wonder if said states might be caused by certain psychological disorders, medical conditions, etc.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Seriously ? A form of Münchhausen's syndrome by proxy? Some other mental disorder?
That is you "proof " of demons ? I have worked in medicine/psych for 30 years and have yet to see proof.

BTW. As for "government employee" an intake officer is more or less a clerk, not a clinician, and saying "medical staff witnessing something " is heresay
Nice fail.

No fail at all. You offer nothing to discount the story. Sure you can always just fall back on the claim that the person is lying. My point stands. It is a piece of evidence. It doesn't matter if you reject it or not. That's your problem, not mine.

That's why it is pointless to try to convince skeptics of the truth. Your mind is already made up and sadly you follow blindly down the path that leads to death.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:56 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
No fail at all. You offer nothing to discount the story. Sure you can always just fall back on the claim that the person is lying. My point stands. It is a piece of evidence. It doesn't matter if you reject it or not. That's your problem, not mine.

That's why it is pointless to try to convince skeptics of the truth. Your mind is already made up and sadly you follow blindly down the path that leads to death.
Jeff, there is good evidence and bad evidence.

A story told by a person with no physical facts to back it up us bad evidence. Something that can be independently corroborated and verified by physical facts is good evidence.

Your evidence is frequently the stories, and nothing else. The problem is that other religions have stories too. As an atheist, how do I decide which stories to believe?

Old 06-23-2017, 07:04 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
What does evil destroying humankind have to do with my post? Is this another one of your, "Argue what you want them to have said, not what they actually said" type things?
Your post blamed God for the Flood and claiming that it is immoral. I'm pointing out the consequences of God not destroying evil mankind. The creator has ever right to take back what He has given especially when they are hurting each other. If I gave someone a gun as a gift and they went out committing murder with my gift, it would certainly be moral to take back that gift and destroy it before it kills another person.

Quote:

I have never said man was perfect, or not cruel, or anything of the sort. You are arguing about something I never said. All I said was there is no proof your Satan (or your God) exists, other than your Bible, and your opinion. Maybe you and some others need the Satan boogeyman to act right (even though religion is BY FAR the cause of most issues in the world right now.), but some of us can do so on our own. I have no need to explain human actions.

And I never said you claimed that man was perfect. Now you are putting words in my mouth. I am only showing the flaws in your judgment against God. And more people have died in history under atheist leaders so don't play the blame religion game here. Besides, atheists worldwide only attacking Christianity.
With your logic, North Korea and China should be a champion of peace and happiness since religion is suppressed in those countries.

Quote:

No, I really don't. Most of your "evidence" is not verified by anyone or anything, meaning it is not any evidence at all. It is nothing more than someone saying, "I saw this" or "I experienced this". No more "proof" than Bigfoot or aliens.

And how do you propose such evidence gets verified? We are dealing with forces that don't follow physical science or predictability. Let me ask you this, in almost every city, you can find people who are members of a paranormal society like ghost hunting etc... If it is all fake, why would anyone stay in the group? I would get bored going out time after time and nothing ever happens. The evidence is out there, but with your parameters, the only way to verify is to experience it yourself. Nothing you read about or even see on a video is going to put a dent in an atheist's biased shield.

Quote:

Yea, sure, Jeff. Sure. Just keep ignoring all the errors and inaccuracies in it, it is what you do best.

Typical condescending hollow talk.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

A devout Mormon would say the same thing about you because you reject Mormonism's supernatural claims.

A devout Muslim would say the same thing about you because you reject Islam's supernatural claims.

A devout Catholic would say the same thing about you because you reject Catholic supernatural claims (like the many accounts of visions of the Virgin Mary.)

Here is some indisputable evidence for the divinity of the Virgin Mary: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Secrets_of_Fátima

Will you be converting to Roman Catholicism now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality