Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 01:41 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,975,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's why faith is a gift from God. The unbeliever is dead in his sins and cannot believe.

God doesn't ordain you as a sinner incapable of belief. That's what happens as a result of sin. So, no--it's not malicious.
Everything is according to God's plan.
It is not for us to question his ways.
He created us and can do what he likes with us.
Sounds pretty malicious to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 01:41 PM

1,333 posts, read 882,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If being a descendant of Adam and , therefore,all sinners, and sin is the reason by which people are incapable of believing, how can any humans come to believe?

I know you said:

"and in Christ we are made new." so there has to be some mechanism for the sinner incapable of believing to somehow become a sinner that IS capable of believing. What is it?
Well said; this is the question I would like answered.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:29 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Everything is according to God's plan.
It is not for us to question his ways.
He created us and can do what he likes with us.
Sounds pretty malicious to me.
Yes. It requires either cognitive dissonance or Brutality. As a phone in believer said to the 'protection racket' analogy. the criminal is human and God is god. Therefore god can so the same as the racketeer but still be good.

Or they can bite the bullet and saw through the leg of morality to escape the rock of paradox. God may do evil, but what're you gonna do about it?' The 'Great Dictator' apologetic is a bridge -burning escape, but I wonder how long that would last? I think the fingers in the ears song would last a bit longer.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:07 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Hello All,

This is a question directed towards monotheistic religions. More Christianity and Islam than anything else.
If we agree to attribute all creation to God; then I must accept that God either created me directly or indirectly.

I know myself pretty well. I've gone to church for a large part of my life and honestly tried to believe there was a God for quite some time.
I am incapable of believing in something that I can't observe or make logical sense out of. I simply can not do it.

If God created me incapable of believing in him and plans to punish me with an eternity of pain and suffering for it; why would I want to believe in this God if I could?
took me like to 3rd grade to figure this one out. I am slow.
they got it wrong.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:24 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,082,979 times
Quote:
Hello All,

This is a question directed towards monotheistic religions. More Christianity and Islam than anything else.
If we agree to attribute all creation to God; then I must accept that God either created me directly or indirectly.

I know myself pretty well. I've gone to church for a large part of my life and honestly tried to believe there was a God for quite some time.
I am incapable of believing in something that I can't observe or make logical sense out of. I simply can not do it.

If God created me incapable of believing in him and plans to punish me with an eternity of pain and suffering for it; why would I want to believe in this God if I could?
Classical scenario.
Out of church, and straight into Atheism.

Why do you think God can only be found in the church, or else there is no God?

Why don't you wake up in the middle of the night a few times, get on your knees, cry a few tears and tell God,
"Oh God, if you are out there, help me find you"

Read this post is if you are honest about finding God.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/48611287-post242.html

Old 06-29-2017, 12:28 AM

11,020 posts, read 5,975,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Classical scenario.

I've been to church a few times in my life. No god of any description to found in any of them. Idols yes ....

Old 06-29-2017, 04:06 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Classical scenario.
That happens. Fact. Not always. Sometimes it is a slow process from denying everything and relying on faith, to giving up the claims of organized religion and becoming an irreligious theist and then, after fiddling about with Deism, perhaps all the way. Where are you so far ?

Quote:
I doubt he does, but if he did, he's have to change his views to the one atheists generally hold: Religion is bunk and Churches and churches and mosques places of teaching lies and trumpery.

There may be a god of sorts that is nothing to do with scriptures and temples. So what?

Quote:
Why don't you wake up in the middle of the night a few times, get on your knees, cry a few tears and tell God,
Because there are too many con-artists out there trying to fool us into believing nonsense. We are not going to do it to ourselves.

Quote:
Read this post is if you are honest about finding God.

If you have a point to make that is better than the ones you made so far, make them. Begin with a reason to think there is a god that can be found with any method that you or the maker of any video can think of and get back to us.

P.s Oh I see. it is referring back o a post of yours (as though you were some kind of authoritative apologist to be referenced) which as I recall was soundly debunked. I am surprised hat, after having your argument from evidence demolished you would dare to field it again.

That bottle of water is still on my desk, and you haven't even commented on my offer.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-29-2017 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: It's hard to make a quote tag without the letter "t"

Old 06-29-2017, 06:06 AM

1,333 posts, read 882,565 times
Quote:
Classical scenario.

I worded my post very specifically to be questioning Gods like the Christian God. In no way is this supposed to be a knock down "God doesn't exist" argument. It's supposed to be an "If this type of God exists, why would one worship him?" type of argument.

Quote:
If only you knew how many times this has been suggested to me and how many times, during my years in church, I sat down and asked this of any potential God. After a certain point, this became a lot like my OP. I figured either:
A. This God simply doesn't exist
B. If this God does exist, he's not interested in saving me, so I don't know why I'm spending my time trying to find him

What it comes down to for me is the following:
If this God exists, he created me unable to believe in him thereby condemning me to an eternity of torture. This is either a God that doesn't exist or one I would not wish to follow if he did exist. As I have no reason to believe this God exists, I have a lack of belief in this God. If there's a God who's more passive than this (IE, not sending people to hell, simply a creator who created and stepped away), then whether he exists or not makes no consequence to my life and I don't spend a lot of time worrying about his existence.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:23 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Quote:
... and honestly tried to believe there was a God for quite some time.
I am incapable of believing in something that I can't observe or make logical sense out of.
I simply can not do it.
If God created me incapable of believing in him and plans to punish me with an eternity of pain
and suffering for it;
why would I want to believe in this God if I could?
Yes, why indeed. And why do others anyway?

Since you have not had an exp of God...so you can only blindly believe in some imaginary
thing others have written about...
why not imagine a benevolent Being...like a nice Entity from Star Trek !
If others are making up a mean God....make up One that is nice and wants only your good...
and adores you, giving you all that you need...a true loving Father/ Spirit that is everywhere.
Voila!

Old 06-29-2017, 06:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
...they got it wrong.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality