Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:23 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,220,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
And yet you are not a Muslim, despite all of the amazing evidence for the Muslim faith.
Take the beam out of your own eye.
Re: jeffbase...
I see no 'beam'... we can have preferences...beliefs that fit us better than others...
some people have switched over to painting their faces and doing Moon Dances and sweats..
it suits them...
no beam in them either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 05:36 PM

42,743 posts, read 25,939,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I get it. Rather than address the issue, you attack the source. Very open-minded of you.
I think that the sources that have promoted this study as demonstrating that athiests are less tolerant than the religious have twisted the conclusions of the study to suit their politics, here's an explanation

No, a New Study Doesn

Old 07-05-2017, 06:03 PM

18,839 posts, read 6,856,466 times
Wow. I can tell I struck a nerve. Tolerant atheists, I see.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:05 PM

18,839 posts, read 6,856,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
This only confirms what I've said all along. It is pointless and a waste of time to respond to an atheist's request for evidence of our faith. They are so close minded and present an attitude that they can never be wrong about anything they say or post.
Exactly. At least the brand of atheist that tends to frequent message boards. And respond to surveys, apparently.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:20 PM

15,797 posts, read 6,220,429 times
So OP, it sounds like you think being "open minded" is a good thing.

From the comments section of the article:
That isn't actually what the study found. To determine "tolerance" they provided two statements and asked subjects to rate them from 1 to 9 on how true they were. Here are two actual statements from the study:

1. A health magazine survey found that people who live a long life eat some sorts of white meat, e.g., fish or chicken.

2. A study by a health organization suggests that it is much more healthy to be a strict vegetarian who does not eat meat at all.

How do you rate them?

Christians were found to "tolerate" the contradiction by rating them both as true more than atheists who would rate one as false and the other as true. So it's not "tolerance" as you might think the word means.

In any case, the differences between the two groups were small and sometimes even reversed.
ReplyShare0

I don't know how those questions would have anything to with how open minded someone was. More likely it seems that atheists may be somewhat better at spotting inconsistency if it means anything.

No matter because the FSM predicted atheist would be persecuted by those without bleep detectors. They would hate us for our bleep spotting righteousness. You are just proving the FSM right with your twisting of words.

Just kidding, I dish it out and I expect to take it.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-06-2017 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: language

Old 07-05-2017, 06:27 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,741,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"...in this study, the Christian samples may not have been fully representative of a highly religious population. These samples scored moderately on religiosity and were particularly "liberal" or "questers"..."

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...sts_undogmatic
I'm shocked! Shocked, I say, to learn that there are methodological issues with a study by the Catholic University of Louvain finding that believers - ie, Catholics and others - are more tolerant than non-believers. Truly, this is as stunning as that time Fidel Castro University released a study that found that communism was better than capitalism, and that one was found to have flaws.

Wake me the next time an atheist blows away people at a gay nightclub or plants a nail-bomb at one, or guns down doctors at a clinic, or flies a plane into a building.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:51 PM

15,797 posts, read 6,220,429 times
From the original article:

The findings also said that the strength of a person's belief in either atheism or religion is directly correlated to how intolerant they are.

How strong are your beliefs OP?

Old 07-05-2017, 07:39 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,021,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
From the original article:

The findings also said that the strength of a person's belief in either atheism or religion is directly correlated to how intolerant they are.

How strong are your beliefs OP?

Your awakening is heartening enough but you are growing by the day. You are the wise woman of your village, or will be soon enough. I see an owl on your shoulder.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm shocked! Shocked, I say, to learn that there are methodological issues with a study by the Catholic University of Louvain finding that believers - ie, Catholics and others - are more tolerant than non-believers. Truly, this is as stunning as that time Fidel Castro University released a study that found that communism was better than capitalism, and that one was found to have flaws.

Wake me the next time an atheist blows away people at a gay nightclub or plants a nail-bomb at one, or guns down doctors at a clinic, or flies a plane into a building.
You kaboom like Shirina.

Too soon, of course.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
So OP, it sounds like you think being "open minded" is a good thing.

From the comments section of the article:
That isn't actually what the study found. To determine "tolerance" they provided two statements and asked subjects to rate them from 1 to 9 on how true they were. Here are two actual statements from the study:

1. A health magazine survey found that people who live a long life eat some sorts of white meat, e.g., fish or chicken.

2. A study by a health organization suggests that it is much more healthy to be a strict vegetarian who does not eat meat at all.

How do you rate them?

Christians were found to "tolerate" the contradiction by rating them both as true more than atheists who would rate one as false and the other as true. So it's not "tolerance" as you might think the word means.

In any case, the differences between the two groups were small and sometimes even reversed.
ReplyShare0

I don't know how those questions would have anything to with how open minded someone was. More likely it seems that atheists may be somewhat better at spotting inconsistency if it means anything.

No matter because the FSM predicted atheist would be persecuted by those without bull**** detectors. They would hate us for our bull**** spotting righteousness. You are just proving the FSM right with your twisting of words.

Just kidding, I dish it out and I expect to take it.
Good researching.

Re the bolded: Some Christians like to hedge their bets. I can think of a couple/few regulars who fit that description. They hope to earn heaven by living lives that are a net benefit to the planet but are prepared to tithe their way outta hell.

ETA: Just in case....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality