Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 06:55 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,091,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think that the sources that have promoted this study as demonstrating that athiests are less tolerant than the religious have twisted the conclusions of the study to suit their politics, here's an explanation

No, a New Study Doesn
A thoughtful rebuttal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Exactly. At least the brand of atheist that tends to frequent message boards. And respond to surveys, apparently.
That you agree with jeff puts you in a select company of at least two (2).

Old 07-05-2017, 10:22 PM

10,077 posts, read 5,708,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The funny irony is your post here only proves my point. After all, what purpose does a snide remark like that serve the discussion? NOTHING. It is just a typical jab of arrogance and demonstration that our viewpoint will never be given a fair shake of consideration by the opposition.

And besides, the only reason it is an audience of two is because the rude atheist majority ran off good Bible believing Christians like Visio.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The funny irony is your post here only proves my point. After all, what purpose does a snide remark like that serve the discussion? NOTHING. It is just a typical jab of arrogance and demonstration that our viewpoint will never be given a fair shake of consideration by the opposition.

And besides, the only reason it is an audience of two is because the rude atheist majority ran off good Bible believing Christians like Visio.
If you're such a pal, you'd think you could spell his name correctly.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:31 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,349,101 times
Quote:

I think it's more likely that what ran Vizio off is that he couldn't respond to most of the questions put to him, and had no real answers for the inconsistencies in his belief system.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:04 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,595,620 times
Quote:
Need to make sure to frame and carve these words into stone the next time your side loves to throw up a Pew study or something similar when it is negative against Christians. Oh suddenly studies are quite valid and accepted without question then!
Is Pew an atheistic organization with a reason to try and discredit Christians?? From the Pew website.

"Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. We conduct public opinion polling, demographic research, content analysis and other data-driven social science research. We do not take policy positions.

We generate a foundation of facts that enriches the public dialogue and supports sound decision-making. We are nonprofit, nonpartisan and nonadvocacy. We value independence, objectivity, accuracy, rigor, humility, transparency and innovation."

See. It isn't the same thing.

Either way though, I don't accept anything without question. I am not a Christian, Jeff. Now, give me a study done by atheists or a place with views that go against religion that claims something about religion, and I will question it just like I did the one above. That was the point of my posts, in case you missed it.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:58 PM

18,918 posts, read 6,923,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
So does consensus prove something is correct or not? Or is it possible for a large group to be wrong?

Old 07-06-2017, 02:18 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,909,336 times
Most atheists were raised as Christians. They've already considered religion and didn't find it to their liking. That to me is open-mindedness.

What isn't open-minded is starting a thread that's deliberately designed to provoke atheists, and your tendency to be aggressive towards anyone who scrutinises the quality of the study.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:23 PM

18,918 posts, read 6,923,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Most atheists were raised as Christians. They've already considered religion and didn't find it to their liking. That to me is open-mindedness.
How do you know that? I'd love to see some survey or study results to confirm that. I believe it's certainly possible that many atheists were raised in a religious environment--but there is no way of knowing that it got past attending a religious service once a year, or their parents simply claiming to be of a certain religion. In my experience, most atheists I've spoken to are in rebellion against religion in general, and are anything but open-minded. They have a bone to pick, and they hate religion. At least that's the "internet variety" of atheists.
Quote:
What isn't open-minded is starting a thread that's deliberately designed to provoke atheists.
First of all, you are judging my motive. That's not nice, or open-minded.

Second of all, we see the reverse on this board daily. There are atheist and non-religious people that intentionally stir up religious people just to get reactions out of us. So please, cut the self-righteous act. I'm not buying it.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So does consensus prove something is correct or not? Or is it possible for a large group to be wrong?
Absolutely. For instance, large groups like fundamentalist Christians are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality