Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

I don't think any Jewish had lighter complexions until the post AD 70 diaspora where many moved to W Europe and intermarried with the natives. I think Jesus would look much like modern Arabs. We might have been a fair complexioned Arab but I really doubt he was blonde. But I don't think the original renderings of Jesus like that had any sinister intent, it was isolated people living in a time when no one could travel faster than a horse could run depicting someone precious to them to look like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 07:08 PM

678 posts, read 429,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Amen! And it doesn't matter what his race was/is. In doesn't say in the Bible what it was, and Jesus never spoke out about needing to focus on skin color and race. Leave it to man to dwell on and bother with unnecessary matters. We add so much stuff to what is basically necessary. There's probably more of man in what we carry around than that of God and his teachings.
I think it matters because racism still exists and I do believe Christian churches could have an impact on racism if they depicted the image based more on science. I doubt it'll happen in my lifetime.

Quote:
I had to chuckle that Wiki has the answers as to what Jesus looked like. Wiki is indeed our new Sacred Online Information Source. All bow to the screen...
The depiction wasn't created by Wikipedia but you can watch Son of God for more information about it.
I went to a Catholic church growing up and front and center was the typical Jesus on the crucifix. So when I was watching Son of God years ago and they were talking about forensic anthropology to create a depiction of Jesus and it was completely different than what I looked at for all those years in church, it did have a surprising impact on me.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:25 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Phd
The race of Jesus is "Human," period.
Quote:
Amen! And it doesn't matter what his race was/is. In doesn't say in the Bible what it was, and Jesus never spoke out about needing to focus on skin color and race. Leave it to man to dwell on and bother with unnecessary matters. We add so much stuff to what is basically necessary. There's probably more of man in what we carry around than that of God and his teachings.

I had to chuckle that Wiki has the answers as to what Jesus looked like. Wiki is indeed our new Sacred Online Information Source. All bow to the screen...
See?

Again, no, Jesus was a Jew. He was born to a young Jewish woman named Miriam. He had a bris and became a bar mitzvah (what do you think they were at the temple for in the story when Jesus was lost and they went back to find him?). He read, or at least heard, the Torah and observed all the important Jewish feasts and holidays. And if he was a pink fleshed blonde, he would have burnt to a crisp under the Israeli sun.

Denying his Jewishness is ridiculous.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:19 AM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
See?
Again, no, Jesus was a Jew. He was born to a young Jewish woman named Miriam. He had a bris and became a bar mitzvah (what do you think they were at the temple for in the story when Jesus was lost and they went back to find him?). He read, or at least heard, the Torah and observed all the important Jewish feasts and holidays. And if he was a pink fleshed blonde, he would have burnt to a crisp under the Israeli sun.
Denying his Jewishness is ridiculous.
See what? Jewishness is NOT a race! This kind of carnal focus on irrelevancies is another of the major problems with religions and their desire for exclusivity in the eyes of God. It is a travesty. We are embryo Spirits in human bodies that will be born again as Spirit upon our death and the kind of human body (womb) we inhabit is completely irrelevant.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:35 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
People like to imagine a god that looks just like them, an hates the same people as well..

I will be very surprised if this was the hairstyle 2000 years ago.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:39 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The race of Jesus is "Human," period.
But the humans and mankind (by the 100 of millions) of pre-Jesus era are going to burn in hell because they never had a chance to know Jesus who happens to be THE ONLY WAY.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:59 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I will be very surprised if this was the hairstyle 2000 years ago.
Do you really think the afro was bigger?

Old 07-12-2017, 08:01 AM

106 posts, read 68,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

as a friend likes to say "he looked just like a terrorist"

...and would quite likely be arrested as a terrorist today by virtue of His bold assertions to worldly powers...
................ or possibly an attempt to kill Him by some so-called radical Christian extremist.

This genuinely causes my stomach to ache: Scottish professor claims that Jesus looks like a terrorist - The Landover Baptist Church Forum

"True Christians"? No more than anyone claiming humility, for in doing so then it's already been lost.

Thank you, Tzaphkiel.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:13 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
See what? Jewishness is NOT a race!

There are many, many, MANY people who would disagree with you.

Judaism is unique in that it can be both a race and a religion. There are Jews by choice, and there are ethnic Jews. Parentage is one of the ways someone's "Jewishness" is determined.

This kind of carnal focus on irrelevancies is another of the major problems with religions and their desire for exclusivity in the eyes of God.

If Jesus's lineage and ethnicity is irrelevant, why so much begats and begots in the Bible? Why is his lineage expounded upon?

Further, if his ethnicity is irrelevant, why did he come as a Jew? Why not a Roman Centurion? An Indian Buddhist monk? An Egyptian woman?

It is a travesty. We are embryo Spirits in human bodies that will be born again as Spirit upon our death and the kind of human body (womb) we inhabit is completely irrelevant.
Jews have died because of their "non-ethnicity." I'd be very careful here, you're treading into dangerous territory.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:27 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Jews have died because of their "non-ethnicity." I'd be very careful here, you're treading into dangerous territory.
In my view, it is because of the silly divisions of so-called race among humans that the atrocities of the past and those of today exist. Jesus did NOT divide people and He is NOT about dividing people. We are all human and we are all saved from separation from God by what Jesus did AS a HUMAN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality