Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:03 PM

678 posts, read 429,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
why are labels a bad thing? I'm a man. I'm white. I drive a pickup truck. I work in an office. Those are all labels and none of them are bad. So why resist a label that describes the belief I have?

I'm a Christian. A Bible believing Christian. A Baptist. Some would call me "Fundamentalist". Nothing wrong with embracing that.
Well most people won't be thinking: "This guy must be cool, he's a white male, works in an office, and drives a pickup!"

But if I want to be prejudice and ignorant, I'm thinking:

---------------
Oh you're a Baptist? So like Westboro Baptist Church, the church that promotes nothing but fear and hate at soldier funerals.

Oh you're also a fundamentalist? Oh and you found Christ in college (as I somehow assumed in the other thread)? This guy must have drank the kool-aid by someone similar to the fundamentalist extremist who "preaches" nothing but fear and hate the college campus that I work at.

------------

I never would have thought that "preacher" was successful - students mostly just argue and laugh at him. But he does draw a crowd and has been doing it for years. Considering college is a major transition time where kids can be most vulnerable and suffering, I'm now more concerned that his message of hate and fear actually resonates with some.

If there is a God, God will be for love and tolerance, not hate and fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 06:55 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
I probably should have broken up my post. Only the first part was a question directed towards you.
And, and but since you responded to more than that, help me out... For some reason, there are times when I think I am being clear in my communication, but then someone replies and I think, 'what just happened?'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
OK? Do you lecture others for going to church? There are people that come to this board for sport every day to trash religious people in general, specifically conservative Christians.
Did what I say somehow imply that I lecture others? Or even a hint that I came to trash others? I have no issues whatsoever with what anyone chooses to follow, that is all for them. What I do have (slight) issue with is when people scold me for doing what I do when it has no impact on their lifestyle. As for trashing others for sport... I do not bite... but if bitten, all is fair in love and war. But even then I usually just smile and wave.

Quote:
I realize that. And I'm happy to get along best I can. But simply disagreeing with someone is not the same as hate.
Hate in my book is a very strong word. I hate no one, I love everyone... but with loving, does not mean I have to like them. If I do not like someone its for a very good and valid reason, but I still do not hate.
I'm not sure how this thought got slipped in here, did something I say suggest it?
Quote:
Honestly? Pretending that we're all identical won't help. We have differences. Embrace them. Maybe even discuss and learn from them.
I'm so confused by your replies...again, it's probably me. I am not seeing how I suggest we pretend anything. I was basically saying the same thing as you, "We have differences. Embrace them. Maybe even discuss and learn from them."

Old 07-13-2017, 07:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Reduce the prejudices within the various and sundry denominations/religions/belief systems and PRESTO! the prejudice surrounding the various and sundry religious labels will follow suit.

You're welcome.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:45 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Reduce the prejudices within the various and sundry denominations/religions/belief systems and PRESTO! the prejudice surrounding the various and sundry religious labels will follow suit.

You're welcome.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:00 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I know, right? Leave it to da Dude!

lessee now.....how do we do THAT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality