U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2017, 07:35 PM
 
10,418 posts, read 10,741,922 times
Reputation: 3151

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

what would a teenage brain in a 35 year old body look like?
what would an adult brain in a teenager body look like?
Best of all, what would a 75 year old brain in a teen body look like?
Answer: GREAT!!!

Think of all that wisdom in a teen body with raging hormones. Think of the possibilities!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 PM
 
9,264 posts, read 12,149,687 times
Reputation: 3337
I look at the Bible as an ancient book of Psychology. I also think that the ancient people were more in touch with understanding a higher power, one than many people today often will not acknowledge. So I think there was something a little more than psychology that they were trying to convey.
But I can't blame atheists at all. There is a lot of negativity in religious doctrine.

But I think there is also a moderate view of psychology and religion (perhaps found in moderate or liberal theology). There is a lot of truth in the ancient religious texts. But not because it was specially inspired. Though the popularity of the texts have endured because of the truth in them.

For example, when Joseph told his brothers that what they had intended for harm, God had intended for good. I think the story is fictional, but the reason the story has endured is because of the true way that the higher power works in our lives.

There are also true literal statements, in my opinion. Such as when Paul stated in his letter to the Romans that all things, whether good or bad, work out for the good by God, and nothing can separate us from God's love. I interpret Paul from a more liberal universalist view.

The book of Hebrews in the New Testament also sounds like a self-help book at times, referring to stories and characters to illustrate principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2017, 08:50 PM
 
9,264 posts, read 12,149,687 times
Reputation: 3337
Also, the book of James is almost pure psychology. If you understand that "death" was just a term for depression, the lowest point that a person can go to, and from which the only direction out of it is joy, it will not sound weird or religious at all.

The root definition of depression is "low spirits", so I don't think I am taking liberties in interpreting the entire Bible this way. "Spiritual death" was their ancient term for depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2017, 10:18 PM
 
Location: minnesota
5,570 posts, read 1,805,723 times
Reputation: 1948
You might like a series by Valerie Tarico, PHD called Christianity Through the Lens of Cognitive Science.


https://valerietarico.com/youtube-channel/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 05:31 AM
 
9,264 posts, read 12,149,687 times
Reputation: 3337
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You might like a series by Valerie Tarico, PHD called Christianity Through the Lens of Cognitive Science.


https://valerietarico.com/youtube-channel/
Her videos are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 06:59 AM
 
11,222 posts, read 4,366,999 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I look at the Bible as an ancient book of Psychology. I also think that the ancient people were more in touch with understanding a higher power, one than many people today often will not acknowledge. So I think there was something a little more than psychology that they were trying to convey.
But I can't blame atheists at all. There is a lot of negativity in religious doctrine.

But I think there is also a moderate view of psychology and religion (perhaps found in moderate or liberal theology). There is a lot of truth in the ancient religious texts. But not because it was specially inspired. Though the popularity of the texts have endured because of the truth in them.

For example, when Joseph told his brothers that what they had intended for harm, God had intended for good. I think the story is fictional, but the reason the story has endured is because of the true way that the higher power works in our lives.

There are also true literal statements, in my opinion. Such as when Paul stated in his letter to the Romans that all things, whether good or bad, work out for the good by God, and nothing can separate us from God's love. I interpret Paul from a more liberal universalist view.

The book of Hebrews in the New Testament also sounds like a self-help book at times, referring to stories and characters to illustrate principles.
yeah, this makes sense. religion was all things to them. It is their daily lives. Also the smartest people they had were defining what they saw around with almost no information but the interactions they saw.

They saw the most complex things they had were made. The most complex things they saw musta been made. "purpose", why wouldn't they think they were put here for a purpose? Its funny when i read early church fathers the convoluted logic they used. But formal logic isn't based on a "value for x", its based on making up anything you want then following a set (agreed upon) line of rules. They had nothing to put in for "x".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 07:02 AM
 
11,222 posts, read 4,366,999 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You might like a series by Valerie Tarico, PHD called Christianity Through the Lens of Cognitive Science.


https://valerietarico.com/youtube-channel/
very good videos. I love how she stepped away from religion but not commonsense. She actually took the baby out of the bathwater before she pulled the drain plug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 07:06 AM
 
11,222 posts, read 4,366,999 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Best of all, what would a 75 year old brain in a teen body look like?
Answer: GREAT!!!

Think of all that wisdom in a teen body with raging hormones. Think of the possibilities!!
lmao ... omng the trouble I could get into!!!!!! Without the broken body parts that is

just in case you were wondering ... oh my no god
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 07:28 AM
 
657 posts, read 251,685 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You might like a series by Valerie Tarico, PHD called Christianity Through the Lens of Cognitive Science.


https://valerietarico.com/youtube-channel/
Great, thanks for the recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
13,445 posts, read 11,140,476 times
Reputation: 15267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I've been exploring numerous sources and digging deep into my psyche and
formative years and have felt more comfortable in my situation and own skin and more love than ever.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear some thoughts on the topic especially from those with any sort of psychology background or knowledge.
How come everyone seems to know what you are talking about but me!?
You feel great...ok.
Seems 'religion' doesn't play a part....ok.
So what are we discussing? What's the topic exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top