U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:08 PM

19,888 posts, read 9,395,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
(Let's see atheists squirm their way out of that one.)
What a very petty comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 12:54 PM

7,404 posts, read 4,459,181 times
Quote:
He has a good point about how atheists claim to not believe in God, but they act as if God exists.
(Let's see atheists squirm their way out of that one.)
In what way do they act as if God exists? And do you mean the Christian Tri-God, the Muslim Mono-God, the Hindu God(s), or something less specific?

And what is that God which Atheists accept in Jordan Peterson's estimation? Last time I heard from him, that God was whatever values and principles they choose even though most atheists don't think those are disembodied, separate from humans in any way, or otherwise deities in any sense.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:14 PM

9,306 posts, read 12,186,693 times
It's not "insane" to say that humans understood about DNA before it was defined by science. What I know about DNA (next to nothing scientifically) regarding it's applied use, is what I would assume most people would have known by intuition. I believe there are terrestrial animals who know things about the universe than humans might never know.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:03 PM

7,404 posts, read 4,459,181 times
Quote:
It's not "insane" to say that humans understood about DNA before it was defined by science. What I know about DNA (next to nothing scientifically) regarding it's applied use, is what I would assume most people would have known by intuition. I believe there are terrestrial animals who know things about the universe than humans might never know.
It is basically "insane" to say so from a picture of snake people intertwined in sexually suggestive form, or from the Greco-Roman caudices as the staff of life and medicine, or from hundreds of different images like this of snakes that would simply be observable in nature when observing snakes mating. Where do you get from such pictures that our ancestors didn't need advanced microscope methods to understand that the information of people's beings is mostly held in lines of nucleic acids and sugars which zip up and intertwine and come apart (when it doesn't involve the sexual union of male and female, which only mixes chromosomes and doesn't thus involve intertwining of the male and female DNA), but they only ever vaguely drew it instead of explaining it in words from their "gut feelings" that inspired their vague drawings which coincidently are exactly how snakes often mate.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What a very petty comment.
What atheists don't seem to want to acknowledge is that religion is a positive psychological phenomenon. We will never be able to prove or understand God with scientific methods. But we can use scientific methods to prove that religion is a very positive thing.

To me, this truth makes atheists insane.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:07 AM

3,226 posts, read 579,473 times
Quote:
What atheists don't seem to want to acknowledge is that religion is a positive psychological phenomenon. We will never be able to prove or understand God with scientific methods. But we can use scientific methods to prove that religion is a very positive thing.

We are insane because you get everything wrong about atheists?

We KNOW religion is a psychological phenomenon that can provide positive benefits. We also KNOW it is not very positive, as many of the benefits can be found in other groups as well.

What IS insane is ignoring the many negatives of religion as if they do not exist. Something you do over and over, blaming it on bad people using religion while ignoring that good people do bad things because of religious beliefs.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
In what way do they act as if God exists?
I was thinking about this last night, so this morning I created 7 universes (one for each day of the week) using my daughters Crayola that she does not now use and a book of A4 paper. The brown ring on Thursday's universe is from my cup of coffee, it is not a design feature.

I then went out looking for a Canaanite to smite, but they are hard to find. Fortunately an Egyptian was walking by, so because of the Exodus, I smote him instead.

Now this is where I had the problem with Ozzy's and Peterson's idea, as I do not know how a god should behave when being arrested by the police, so I decided to lay a curse on their family for all eternity.

I will let you know how it all ends when my court case happens.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:50 AM

I thank God that atheists don't have more control in society. We have already seen the horrors of secular atheist governments at work in the 20th century. Atheists frighten me. When they talk about the "evil" deities in religion, they actually sound as if they are describing themselves. And when I read the religious stories from THEIR perspective, I feel as if I am reading about those particular atheist individuals. People project themselves onto God. And if someone is projecting evil onto God then that is not saying something good about the person.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I thank God that atheists don't have more control in society. We have already seen the horrors of secular atheist governments at work in the 20th century. Atheists frighten me. When they talk about the "evil" deities in religion, they actually sound as if they are describing themselves.
Not Stalin AGAIN. Damn those men with noses who wear trousers!

Quote:
And when I read the religious stories from THEIR perspective, I feel as if I am reading about those particular atheist individuals. People project themselves onto God. And if someone is projecting evil onto God then that is not saying something good about the person.
And atheists wrote the OT as well! Those evil monsters.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:17 PM

19,888 posts, read 9,395,316 times
Quote:

1. You start off in this post wrong to begin with. For some people in certain situations, yes, christianity can be a positive psychological phenomenon. I know good people who are christians, and I see the good things that they do. So pack up lie number one that we don't realize that there are positive aspects to christianity.

2. However, I do not respect living a lie. It DOES matter, from a moral sense, whether you live your life based on reality or fiction. I remember almost perfectly the Christmas morning I confided to my aunt that, "I don't really believe in Santa Claus anymore". And she sat me down and said, "Let me tell you what Santa Claus really is. You're right, Santa Claus is not a real man. But I'll tell what Santa Claus really is. Santa Claus is that feeling you had when you gave Mrs. Smith [my teacher] that Christmas gift. Santa Claus is how you will feel inside this morning when you give grandma those bedroom slippers. Santa Claus is how I will feel when you open the very special gift I am giving you this year, and I see how happy it's going to make you. So Santa Claus is real...he's just not a real man". That kind of thinking is fine to describe moral good-doing to a little boy, but it's time to grow up and realize that there are intrinsic (and extrinsic) reasons for doing good things, and they don't require that a person be a christian.

3. No, if science proved tomorrow that god exists, then you'd be jumping on the science bandwagon. The problem is that christians who have no moral ground will take some scientific discovery in archaeology that might support their christian beliefs and they wave that flag around fervently. But when the scientific discovery refutes some christian belief, then they don't like science. You can't have it both ways. Don't pick and choose. Either the scientific method is valid, or it's not. You're sort of like my grandfather who declared that there was nothing unhealthy about smoking cigarettes...right up to the day that he died of lung cancer and emphysema.

4. And that last statement...that makes you morally unworthy of participating in this forum. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality