U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 04:52 PM

11,343 posts, read 4,419,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes. I think a person's view of God is affected by their state of mind, rather than the other way around. A healthy person has a healthy view of religion, in my opinion.
have a person describe the god in the bible.

presto ... insta look ... into that brain state and how it sees the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 08:10 PM

19,924 posts, read 9,412,316 times
Quote:
It wouldn't be enough for your biased perspective. So I'm not going to try to convince people who don't want to hear about it. These debates on this forum are meaningless anyway. No one listens to anyone they disagree with.
Another evasion.

But considering the above, why are you here it it's meaningless?

Old 01-21-2019, 09:09 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,195,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Another evasion.

But considering the above, why are you here it it's meaningless?
Because this is not just a debate forum. The debates are just the scum found at the bottom. Many people try to discuss important religious topics. But the same people like to turn each new topic into the same senseless debate.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Because this is not just a debate forum. The debates are just the scum found at the bottom. Many people try to discuss important religious topics. But the same people like to turn each new topic into the same senseless debate.
And that includes you.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 PM

3,509 posts, read 2,386,124 times
Quote:
There's another interesting psychological aspect in play. As one poster put it, even if you're not interested in religion or spirituality you can at least deny theist a springboard.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:57 AM

11,343 posts, read 4,419,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
There's another interesting psychological aspect in play. As one poster put it, even if you're not interested in religion or spirituality you can at least deny theist a springboard.
exactly ... more often than not, its a deceitful practice. As deceitful as pushing blind faith as reasonable.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:19 AM

13,509 posts, read 11,211,617 times
Quote:
So I'm not going to try to convince people who don't want to hear about it.
These debates on this forum are meaningless anyway.
No one listens to anyone they disagree with.
If we were 20 and searching, maybe we would...but I bet the average age is
decades older....and thus wiser, informed, seasoned and experienced.
We are now comfortable in what we think...a little patch in our boat once in awhile but,
basically our boats are floating well for us all.
In fact, SO well, we like to turn others onto what is working for us....cuz there was a time
when things did not work, is my guess.

No one has to see the other person's point, if it doesn't ring true for us...we move on often.
(Well, some want to butt heads and need the others to see things their way...and love to say
the other is not 'getting' it.)

Old 01-22-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If we were 20 and searching, maybe we would...but I bet the average age is
decades older....and thus wiser, informed, seasoned and experienced.
We are now comfortable in what we think...a little patch in our boat once in awhile but,
basically our boats are floating well for us all.
In fact, SO well, we like to turn others onto what is working for us....cuz there was a time
when things did not work, is my guess.

No one has to see the other person's point, if it doesn't ring true for us...we move on often.
(Well, some want to butt heads and need the others to see things their way...and love to say
the other is not 'getting' it.)
I think that varies a lot from person to person.

I was a basic middle-of-the-road "believer" until I was 67 years old, and then suddenly (due to an event in my life) completely reversed myself. And it's the posts of many of the christians on this forum that have turned me more and more against christianity (as opposed to morality).

Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,195,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think that varies a lot from person to person.

I was a basic middle-of-the-road "believer" until I was 67 years old, and then suddenly (due to an event in my life) completely reversed myself. And it's the posts of many of the christians on this forum that have turned me more and more against christianity (as opposed to morality).
It sounds like you are in a mode of rebellion right now. To what, I don't know.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you are in a mode of rebellion right now. To what, I don't know.
The whole god story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality