U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:43 PM

655 posts, read 239,237 times

Advertisements

When a close very religious relative visited she was talking about how she believes in the power of prayer. I do believe in it somewhat, not God reaching down, but from a psychological perspective. However, what I noticed is that she prays to alleviate anxiety which for her seems to have a negative affect of increasing anxiety.

I've been exploring numerous sources and digging deep into my psyche and formative years and have felt more comfortable in my situation and own skin and more love than ever. During this exploration, religion hasn't resonated with me so it's been purely non-religious psychology standpoint that has made me a much better person who is now completely comfortable with my situation, in my own skin and lacks concerns about the future.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear some thoughts on the topic especially from those with any sort of psychology background or knowledge.

I realize it's a very touchy subject so please don't get personal or take things personally. We can all learn from each other and I can hope things stay somewhat civil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 08:11 PM

21,278 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
When a close very religious relative visited she was talking about how she believes in the power of prayer. I do believe in it somewhat, not God reaching down, but from a psychological perspective. However, what I noticed is that she prays to alleviate anxiety which for her seems to have a negative affect of increasing anxiety.

I've been exploring numerous sources and digging deep into my psyche and formative years and have felt more comfortable in my situation and own skin and more love than ever. During this exploration, religion hasn't resonated with me so it's been purely non-religious psychology standpoint that has made me a much better person who is now completely comfortable with my situation, in my own skin and lacks concerns about the future.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear some thoughts on the topic especially from those with any sort of psychology background or knowledge.

I realize it's a very touchy subject so please don't get personal or take things personally. We can all learn from each other and I can hope things stay somewhat civil
I would love very much to hear what our resident shrink (who is an atheist) has to say on this topic. I hope she weighs in, as her insights (though seldom shared) are always worthwhile.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:29 PM

9,169 posts, read 2,782,281 times
It would be interesting to hear what our Christian shrink on the other board thinks, too. Peace

Old 07-16-2017, 08:41 PM

15,551 posts, read 7,004,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post

From where I stand and from what you said about where you are in relation to your place in community I'd have to say that psychology uses a different language to reach the same conclusion that the best faith traditions do.

How do you get along with Jungian psychology (if there is such a thing)?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:47 PM

1,553 posts, read 657,225 times
Smile Different Strokes for different folks

Peoples religious beliefs are personal. Religious beliefs usually vary somewhat over time during the life of most individuals. Some in psychology have determined various religious beliefs are indicative of mental illness. Generally if you hear voices, or a voice of god, or some signal from god which is verbal or interpreted into words, it is considered as mental illness. Thus many who feel touched by the holy spirit (ghost, god) may be viewed as mentally ill depending on how they depict their experience.

Those who believe in an active, personal god, have a belief which much of humanity has had during it's existence. Those who have other belief's in god, or are atheists, also share a belief system which is as old has humanity. When it comes to religion psychology used to stand back a bit, but of late seems to be more active in defining some forms of religious belief as a mental illness.

Regardless, a person with sincere religious beliefs, who does not seek to impose them on, or to harm others because of those beliefs, is likely no threat to society. If anything they can be helpful. A philosopher who has changed his opinion about religion over time is Stephan Molyneux. His evolution is interesting, and well documented via his large decade plus long series of youtube videos.

My opinion is judging sincere religious beliefs which do not require harm to others as a mental illness may be a bit much. However, psychology and religion aren't my fields of expertise. My own belief is a connection with god may exist with some people, but it doesn't manifest physically, but psychologically. Changes in people for the net positive who have come to believe in god are well documented, but negative changes depending on the belief system chose for god are also well documented.

So is your god a net positive, negative, or non-existent?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
From where I stand and from what you said about where you are in relation to your place in community I'd have to say that psychology uses a different language to reach the same conclusion that the best faith traditions do.

How do you get along with Jungian psychology (if there is such a thing)?
I hadn't heard of it, but seems interesting. For me, I've found that if I can reduce my ego it's easier to get to a place of serenity and feel an intense love that touches every fiber in my body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Peoples religious beliefs are personal. Religious beliefs usually vary somewhat over time during the life of most individuals. Some in psychology have determined various religious beliefs are indicative of mental illness. Generally if you hear voices, or a voice of god, or some signal from god which is verbal or interpreted into words, it is considered as mental illness. Thus many who feel touched by the holy spirit (ghost, god) may be viewed as mentally ill depending on how they depict their experience.

Those who believe in an active, personal god, have a belief which much of humanity has had during it's existence. Those who have other belief's in god, or are atheists, also share a belief system which is as old has humanity. When it comes to religion psychology used to stand back a bit, but of late seems to be more active in defining some forms of religious belief as a mental illness.

Regardless, a person with sincere religious beliefs, who does not seek to impose them on, or to harm others because of those beliefs, is likely no threat to society. If anything they can be helpful. A philosopher who has changed his opinion about religion over time is Stephan Molyneux. His evolution is interesting, and well documented via his large decade plus long series of youtube videos.

My opinion is judging sincere religious beliefs which do not require harm to others as a mental illness may be a bit much. However, psychology and religion aren't my fields of expertise. My own belief is a connection with god may exist with some people, but it doesn't manifest physically, but psychologically. Changes in people for the net positive who have come to believe in god are well documented, but negative changes depending on the belief system chose for god are also well documented.

So is your god a net positive, negative, or non-existent?
Personally my God is non-existent. But I have great friends who's God is all about love and compassion which seems to lead to a large net benefit. But if one's God is an egoic God with with superiority, exclusion and authority, I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I'm not really the one to answer these questions since I know nothing about psychology, just interested in learning more.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:29 PM

10,506 posts, read 4,141,914 times
I call them strings, before string theory strings, thoughts or ideas needed for the brain to latch on until it can process the information in a rational way.

I think to many people look at actions from a chronological year stand point. IE, they are 30 so they should do "this/that". When dealing with people think in terms of brain years. a child brain, teenage brain, young adult, adult, and old.

what would a teenage brain in a 35 year old body look like?
what would an adult brain in a teenager body look like?

what gut wrenching event could stop a brain's growth such that a 50 year old body is acting like a 20 year old person?

psychology basis some of its treatments on tricking the person things are different until the person can help themselves. Some people never get past the trick. Like a child is always a child. Adults are rarely childlike, but many of them, for many reasons, remain in early adolescent stage brains.

Some people use the phrase "religion is a boat used until one reaches yonder shore." its the same idea.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:46 PM

I just listened to an interesting podcast with psychologist Tara Brach - Radical Self-Honesty: The Joy of Getting Real. At about 23 minutes she goes through the story of Adam and Eve jokes that it lead to about an millennium of neurosis. I'm guessing it may not resonate with many or most, but I thought the whole thing was pretty interesting.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:48 PM

12,920 posts, read 4,931,025 times
I'm no psychologist, but as far as I can tell, religion is based on:

1) All of the common logical fallacies, with the "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" fallacy being the most important (I prayed for X, then X happened, therefore my prayers were answered).

2) Powerful experiences generated by the brain due to extreme stress, mental health problems, seizures, meditation, drugs, etc which are interpreted as direct encounters with the divine/supernatural/god.

I would say that religion is simply human irrationality, formalized.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:10 PM

10,506 posts, read 4,141,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I'm no psychologist, but as far as I can tell, religion is based on:

1) All of the common logical fallacies, with the "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" fallacy being the most important (I prayed for X, then X happened, therefore my prayers were answered).

2) Powerful experiences generated by the brain due to extreme stress, mental health problems, seizures, meditation, drugs, etc which are interpreted as direct encounters with the divine/supernatural/god.

I would say that religion is simply human irrationality, formalized.
yeah, kinda like government ones like liberals and conservatives.
formalized insanity.

But I just can't bite on a blanket statement that all groups of like minded people are irrational .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality