Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 08:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay0 View Post
Actions stems from a calm and equanimous intellect leads to progress in life, while reactions stems from our emotions or agitated mind results in deteriorating relationships leading to regression in our professional and personal lives.

Self-awareness helps one to be emotionally composed in the midst of chaos or adversity and enable one to make right decisions, as opposed to an emotionally agitated mind which can result in wrong decisions and unwanted consequences.
I disagree.

One's reaction can, and in my case often is, a measured one based on probable outcome(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 AM

47 posts, read 30,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I disagree.

One's reaction can, and in my case often is, a measured one based on probable outcome(s).

If it is measured, it obviously comes from the intellect, and not from one's emotions blindly.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
If it is measured, it obviously comes from the intellect, and not from one's emotions blindly.
Obviously.

Which is why a blanket statement like: "...reactions stems from our emotions or agitated mind..."
is wrong.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Obviously.

Which is why a blanket statement like: "...reactions stems from our emotions or agitated mind..."
is wrong.
I'd have to say that the statement is in the nature of defining reaction as emotional as opposed to rational response and I'd have to agree.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'd have to say that the statement is in the nature of defining reaction as emotional as opposed to rational response and I'd have to agree.
Perhaps so, for immediate, un-thought-of reactions. Like jumping to a sudden sound.

But some reactions are based on forethought - albeit formed quite quickly - based on an identifiable source.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:24 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I am Ajay.

My humble pranams and well-wishes to all of you here.

Quoted above are a list of teachings of various masters which I compiled myself for a better understanding and contemplation of the message of proactivity and reactivity.

Through study and analysis of the master's teachings, I had come to the understanding that it is proactive action which is what is known as virtue or proper action while reactive action is what is known as sin or bad karma.

While proactivity is what stems from a state of awareness or mindfulness , reactivity on the other hand stems from the ego .

Living in the present moment reveals the state of awareness, while living in the past or future due to desires, craving or incessant thinking is what generates the ego, which obscures the natural state of awareness.

The state of awareness generates peace and happiness , while the ego generates suffering and sorrow.

This is why the Buddha had said thus ," Mindfulness ( constant awareness ) is the true virtue."

And why Eckhart Tolle had stated thus. " Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness."

Writing this in my notebook and constant study and contemplation of these teachings from time to time helped me to become a more self-aware, proactive and less reactive person. This understanding brought a deep sense of calmness, peace, contentment and well-being in my life.

Hope the reading of the above mentioned teachings will do the same for you or help in bringing perspective on the nature of the mind.
Somehow when I think of "masters" STEPHEN COVEY is not on that list..

Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Teachings of the Masters on Awareness-Proactivty and Unconsciousness-Ego-Reactivity....

Act. Do not react.

--Sri Ravi Shankar

Sin is never in action. It is always in reaction.

-- Swami Chinmayananda

Virtuous ( proactive) action increases intelligence, while sinful ( reactive ) acts decreases intelligence.

--Vidura Neeti ( Mahabharatha )

If you want to progress in your life and grow, act not to react.

--Harbhajan Yogi Bhajan

Respond. Do not react.

--Osho

Just stay focused. Don't react. Just be a witness and you will see the magic of it.

--Swami Chidanand Saraswati

Be proactive. Do not be reactive.

--Stephen Covey ( Author of 7 habits of highly effective people )

Habitually we react to external stimuli, that is we are generally overwhelmed by retaliatory emotional forces within us demanding appropriate action. But surely this cannot be called 'action' , it is in fact ' re-action' . Discipline of the reasoning mind controls the reactive forces and results in appropriate 'action' rather than 're-action', one should endeavour to establish control and avoid retaliatory behaviour.

--Acharya Mahaprajna

Quality of life depends on what happens in the space between stimulus and response.

-- Stephen Covey

Because of the space between stimulus and response, people have the power of choice; therefore,leaders are neither born nor made — meaning environmentally trained and nurtured. They are self-made through chosen responses, and if they choose based on principles and develop increasingly greater discipline, their freedom to choose increases.

-- Stephen Covey

Reaction is unconscious. You do not know exactly that you are being manipulated. You are not aware that you are behaving like a slave, not like a master. Action out of consciousness is response.

-- Osho

You can act in two ways -- one is reaction, another is response.

Reaction comes out of your past conditionings; it is mechanical.

Response comes out of your presence, awareness, consciousness; it is non-mechanical.

The ability to respond is one of the greatest principles of growth. You are not following any order, any commandment; you are simply following your awareness. You are functioning like a mirror, reflecting the situation and responding to it -- not out of your memory from past experiences of similar situations, not repeating your reactions, but acting fresh, new, in this very moment. Neither the situation is old, nor your response -- both are new.

-- Osho

One who is obsessed with worldly pursuits, one who is body-oriented, cannot really go into this. We need to develop a distance from our mind and not give in to impulsiveness. Those who react are the ones who are living mindlessly. So in a way, we can say that living mindfully is being in meditation.

-- Anandmurti Gurumaa

So action which is born of reaction breeds sorrow. Most of our thoughts are the result of the past, of time. A mind that is not built on the past, that has totally understood this whole process of reaction, can act every minute totally, completely, wholly.

- J. Krishnamurti

Action which is born of reaction breeds sorrow.

- J. Krishnamurti
Is that why Bhuvaneshwar Kumar hardly shows any emotions after taking a wicket?

Old 01-24-2019, 06:56 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Obviously.
is wrong.
You seem to respond intelligently with some thought...reactions are known not to be 'that'.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:46 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Perhaps so, for immediate, un-thought-of reactions. Like jumping to a sudden sound.

But some reactions are based on forethought - albeit formed quite quickly - based on an identifiable source.
Then you are not talking about REaction, but reasoned (very quickly) response.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Then you are not talking about REaction, but reasoned (very quickly) response.
I suppose. Though in many cases, I believe the difference is minute enough to be virtually indiscernible. And semantics plays a part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality