Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Here are my three favorite

Quote:
whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give you. John 16:23
"Father, I pray in Jeezus' name that my missing arm grows back."

Who believes I'll have a new arm tomorrow?

https://whywontgodhealamputees.com/god5.htm

Quote:
Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man returns. Matthew 10:23
Rapture watchers hate this verse because it proves Jesus promised he would return in his apostles' lifetimes and he never did. He made four such promises and broke all four. Of course apologists try to paper over these broken promises by insisting this promise wasn't made to the disciples but to the future generation that would see him return even though he makes direct references to the disciples in particular to flee to every town when they are presecuted,

Quote:
"I am sending you [guys] out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. Matthew 10:16
NEWS FLASH, folks: He ain't coming back!

And my favorite:

Quote:
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide an escape, so that you can stand up under it.
"Sadly, suicide occurs among Christians at essentially the same rate as non-Christians."

When Suicide Strikes in the Body of Christ | Christianity Today

And that's from Christianity Today! So where was God to deliver these people from whatever caused them to take their lives???????

These verses probably more than any other convinced me to drop Christianity and become deist. Now I don't have to agonize why God doesn't help His people. I now know God simply doesn't get involved in people's earthly lives.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

The text says nothing about us having a blank check to simply command whatever we want. This isn't magic.

Look at the context. He's talking about simply naming and claiming our blessings. He's talking about how after he rose from the dead and was gone, we are to ask in his name -- and if we are asking in his name, with his purpose, God will grant it.
Quote:

Rapture watchers hate this verse because it proves Jesus promised he would return in his apostles' lifetimes and he never did. He made four such promises and broke all four. Of course apologists try to paper over these broken promises by insisting this promise wasn't made to the disciples but to the future generation that would see him return even though he makes direct references to the disciples in particular to flee to every town when they are presecuted,

And my favorite:
So the disciples blanketed every town in Israel?
Quote:

"Sadly, suicide occurs among Christians at essentially the same rate as non-Christians."

And that's from Christianity Today! So where was God to deliver these people from whatever caused them to take their lives???????

These verses probably more than any other convinced me to drop Christianity and become deist. Now I don't have to agonize why God doesn't help His people. It's because He doesn't get involved.
The fact that mental illness and depression results in Christians and non-Christians alike committing suicide does not indicate that those that turn to God failed to help them in their time of need.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The text says nothing about us having a blank check to simply command whatever we want. This isn't magic.

Look at the context. He's talking about simply naming and claiming our blessings. He's talking about how after he rose from the dead and was gone, we are to ask in his name -- and if we are asking in his name, with his purpose, God will grant it.
Which is exactly a blank check to simply command whatever a Bible or Gospel believer wants, with "purpose" caveats as much as you wish to add. That is exactly the same as any other theistic magic.
Quote:
So the disciples blanketed every town in Israel?
Are you waiting for the third "Last Messiah" visit, or the second?
Quote:
The fact that mental illness and depression results in Christians and non-Christians alike committing suicide does not indicate that those that turn to God failed to help them in their time of need.
"mental illness" = "not helped, not cured"
It partially does indicate that, unless we are to assume that none of them (Christian and non-Christian alike) "turn to God" or that many are "triumphantly helped by God" but still commit suicide.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:18 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

And my favorite:

These verses probably more than any other convinced me to drop Christianity and become deist. Now I don't have to agonize why God doesn't help His people. I now know God simply doesn't get involved in people's earthly lives.

Show's how much you know. He DID return in Acts 2, as SPIRIT, to the ones He said He would. Peace

Old 08-08-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Show's how much you know. He DID return in Acts 2, as SPIRIT, to the ones He said He would. Peace
So what happened to the "every eye will see him" part?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Which is exactly a blank check to simply command whatever a Bible or Gospel believer wants, with "purpose" caveats as much as you wish to add. That is exactly the same as any other theistic magic.
Read the text. If the point was that we could simply name and claim whatever we want, then the disciples sure got the short end of the stick. After all, the vast majority of them were martyred for their faith. They CLEARLY did not understand that passage that way.
Quote:

"mental illness" = "not helped, not cured"
It partially does indicate that, unless we are to assume that none of them (Christian and non-Christian alike) "turn to God" or that many are "triumphantly helped by God" but still commit suicide.
Again....see my first point. God never promised a trouble free life. He said he'd be with us in the midst of it, though.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
its a book.

A book lying? You'll have to do some explaining on a book lying.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
its a book.

A book lying? You'll have to do some explaining on a book lying.

Actually, it's a collection of books. 66 to be exact.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Read the text. If the point was that we could simply name and claim whatever we want, then the disciples sure got the short end of the stick. After all, the vast majority of them were martyred for their faith. They CLEARLY did not understand that passage that way.

Again....see my first point. God never promised a trouble free life. He said he'd be with us in the midst of it, though.
And how do you know all of them were martyred, Fundie? Where specifically in the Bible or in any history book does it say "Bartholomew was martyred in....." or "Philip traveled to...where he was martyred in...." or "Thomas went to...where he was martyred in..." Can you name a single source that tells us this????

You can't, can you, Fundie!!!

Old 08-08-2017, 10:34 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
I stand corrected. thank you.

its a collection of books.

A collection of books lying? You'll have to do some explaining on a collection of books lying.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality