Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:56 AM

9,588 posts, read 4,991,399 times

Advertisements

Since this is obviously not true, why the sensationalist thread name? It reminds me of the National Enquirer. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 05:09 PM

18,804 posts, read 27,254,775 times
It's not a sensationalist thread name. It was simple c/p of the YT video title.
Thing is, if you go to that video, on the R hand pane to it, there is another video now titled about same. Jesus was a Muslim, something like that.
I watched it out of curiosity and now you have a Christian (scholar?) saying exactly the same. Every major Abrahamic religion figure was a Muslim in the light of semantics of this word and word Islam.

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZn75fGpuOA&t=852s

See, my opinion on this is a bit different from religious. I think, it's a new wiff. Especially coming from a Jew. Educated Jew, no matter what. In Israel. And they are rather particular about what they say.
I think it's a new paradigm. Oh, but see, we were ALL Muslims (read - brothers and sisters) believing into same god, etc, then a simply misunderstanding happened and we sort became a little bit alienated...
I think, there is a shift in paradigm. A pointer towards a new direction. Maybe a way out of potential annihilation. No one wants another Holocaust. So it may be an introduction of a path out of it. It will be interesting to watch how this develops. Seeds are seeded.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:16 PM

Has it occurred to you yet that Mohammed, the founder of Islam lived only 800 years ago, WAY after Abraham? Peace

Old 08-17-2017, 11:15 PM

It did. But they are saying something else. All you need to do is to listen. They are not questioning Muhammad was the profit of Islam. They simply say that according to etymology of words Islam and Muslim, ANY person servant to one god is Muslim.
It is is a fine game of words.
btw, you know exactly when Abraham lived? That on what calendar? From what I know, 17th century was year 7 542 from the time of creation. So how is count done exactly? Based on whatever is convenient at the moment for argument?

Old 08-17-2017, 11:17 PM

This is what i was referring to. Overtone Windows.

This is how "new ideas" are introduced. From unthinkable to policy. It's seeded, tell you I.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:19 PM

And here's why "we are all Muslims".

The growth of Islam worldwide...Should we be worried?

Old 08-18-2017, 12:17 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,498,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no that is not correct
Judaism recognizes there are many paths to God.
Judaism is only the path for a Jew. It does not seek converts, nor does it proselytize. Rather it discourages converts.

So as a Jew he recognizes there are many paths to God.
Ok. I get that. But I wonder if that is the Monotheistic god of Abraham, or does it include the many headed God of Hinduism, I wonder? Or are there limits to how many lanes the motorway can have?

Old 08-18-2017, 12:20 PM

18,840 posts, read 6,850,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Actually, my OP consisted from video link AND second post asking to discuss this by representatives of the involved religions, but I'm easy. It's interesting topic, worth reposting.
So here I am with discussion part of it.
According to this professor, claim is that Jesus, Solomon and other prominent Abrahamic religions characters were Muslim.
This is not aligned with the official "date" of Islam revelation, circa mid 7th century CE.
Is there any merit to this claim? Or, it is simply misunderstood and means something else.
Will be most educational to have civil and intelligent discussion of this topic by Muslims, Christians and Judaism followers ( can't say Judaists, right?)
Thank you.
Civil and intelligent, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1pptNvufNY

It is my understanding, that this based on simple play of words. Islam is surrender, Muslim is one who surrenders to god. In that etymology, ANYONE who surrenders to god is a Muslim. Moses included, as example.

Unfortunately, having a degree, or the title "Professor" really does not mean one has a clue.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It did. But they are saying something else. All you need to do is to listen. They are not questioning Muhammad was the profit of Islam. They simply say that according to etymology of words Islam and Muslim, ANY person servant to one god is Muslim.
It is is a fine game of words.
btw, you know exactly when Abraham lived? That on what calendar? From what I know, 17th century was year 7 542 from the time of creation. So how is count done exactly? Based on whatever is convenient at the moment for argument?

What calendar you going by? It's 5777. Peace

Judaism 101: Jewish Calendar

Old 08-18-2017, 01:11 PM

2,711 posts, read 2,620,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Has it occurred to you yet that Mohammed, the founder of Islam lived only 800 years ago,
now is year 2017 and the final messenger from Allah Mahammad was born in 570 and became a prophet in 610 and died in 632
and that is not 800 years ago.
Quote:
WAY after Abraham? Peace
The Jews and Christians were WAY after Abraham
O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)!
Why do you dispute about Ibrahim (Abraham),
while the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel) were not revealed till after him?
Have you then no sense? The holy Quran
all the messengers are from Allah
the source of Islam and Jews and Christianity is Allah
and the main message for all of them it believe in Allah the only god and to worship him alone and obey him ,
in other word to submit to him and that is Islam and in another word all the religion of Allah is Islam.
Say (O Muslims),
"We believe in Allah
and that which has been sent down to us
and that which has been sent down to Ibrahim (Abraham), Isma'il (Ishmael), Ishaq (Isaac), Ya'qub (Jacob), and to Al-Asbat [the offspring of the twelve sons of Ya'qub (Jacob)],
and that which has been given to Musa (Moses) and 'ÃŽsa (Jesus),
and that which has been given to the Prophets from their Lord.
We make no distinction between any of them,
and to Him we have submitted (in Islam)."The holy Quran
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality