Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there any excuse or reason for not hearing "The Word"?
Yes, it could easily happen and is excusable 5 20.83%
Yes, but only in very rare and exceptional circumstances 1 4.17%
No, there is simply no excuse, "The Word" is how we will be judged 5 20.83%
The Word is not how we will be judged anyway/ or we cease to exist 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 07:35 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
OK, then tell us why those behaviors are a problem. For these specific behaviors, why are they red flags:

"there is only one way to God"
"this is best for you"
"this is best for everyone"
"no one else has the truth, they are wrong, corrupt, in error, off the rails"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Please let me: "one way" is a problem if the person promoting that way is talking about a specific set of beliefs that only his group teaches, when the "way" is something that is available to everyone in ANY faith tradition it is not a problem at all
"Best" again is a matter of whether a specific practice or set of practices is being promoted, especially if it is only taught in the group of the promoter. When it is talking about a relationship in love with God and man, what COULD be better?
If someone is claiming that no one else has the truth, that would setiously be a problem suspiciously like a cult. When one claims that the truth may be found in ANY faith tradition and that the various tradition really have no bearing on that truth it is not what you would want to call a cult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there it is again
"the Way"
What fascinates me, Tzaphkiel, is that you seem to have ignored my explanation about your concerns and keep repeating this one. Did you miss the explanation and would you like to address it now? Just to be clear that explanation was: "'one way] is a problem if the person promoting that way is talking about a specific set of beliefs that only his group teaches, when the 'way' is something that is available to everyone in ANY faith tradition it is not a problem at all"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 12:33 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Simply because individuals in a container have agency doesn't mean the container itself has agency. To extrapolate that to the container, one would need to presuppose the container as the creator of the individuals.
This epitomizes the "separate things" view of our reality. The problem is that our reality is NOT "separate things." It is all components of "one thing." That knowledge is what eradicated my atheism and is why your composition fallacy fails.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:13 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This epitomizes the "separate things" view of our reality. The problem is that our reality is NOT "separate things." It is all components of "one thing." That knowledge is what eradicated my atheism and is why your composition fallacy fails.
You have proof of this unified nature of all things of course. And you are able to show that proof?

Or would this be another one of your unsupported assertions?

Old 08-19-2017, 01:31 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Much like with a box of ants, the box is part of the ants' reality, but it is not part of the ants. Nor does it have any agency.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You have proof of this unified nature of all things of course. And you are able to show that proof?
Or would this be another one of your unsupported assertions?
You will never accept that my experiences are the source of my certainty so we cannot reconcile our views.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Much like with a box of ants, the box is part of the ants' reality, but it is not part of the ants. Nor does it have any agency.
It seems clear that you are not really trying to understand the perspective I present since you continue to use a "separate things" view. Apparently, you are not even aware of it. It seems so ingrained in your psyche that you are incapable of abstracting yourself from that view of "things."

Old 08-19-2017, 02:23 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
You will never accept that my experiences are the source of my certainty so we cannot reconcile our views.
That is correct. I find stories of personal experience to be unconvincing, because they cannot be proven.

If you were able to provide verifiable, testable evidence leading to a potentially falsifiable theory, that I would find convincing.

Until that time, your stories are not any more convincing than somebody's acid flashbacks.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
What is perplexing is that someone of your supposed intellect would accept such an experience as the source of certainty, when many others claim the same experience and have reached many different conclusions, when these types of experiences can be recreated using mind-altering drugs, when many delusional individuals have these same experiences. Why is your experience so unique that you have dismissed all other possibilities for its source.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
What is perplexing is that someone of your supposed intellect would accept such an experience as the source of certainty, when many others claim the same experience and have reached many different conclusions, when these types of experiences can be recreated using mind-altering drugs, when many delusional individuals have these same experiences. Why is your experience so unique that you have dismissed all other possibilities for its source.
I spent over 18 years developing my meditation technique aided by biofeedback. I perfected retaining conscious control while entering altered states. When I succeeded in achieving the deepest state, I retained my conscious control and awareness but was blindsided by what I encountered. Imagine your consciousness encountering a separate consciousness that is NOT separate but is also NOT remotely like yours. It is a multitude but it is just ONE with all that is. I simply cannot verbally convey the experience to anyone who has not had it. There is a "knowingness" and a loving acceptance and joy that is indescribable. I have tried to liken it to a crowd doing the wave at a sporting event, but that does not remotely capture the experience.

What was immediately clear to my conscious mind is that I could not control or alter the experience in the slightest. That meant that it was NOT part of my subconscious or any other aspect of ME. My inability to control my experiences in altered states was the test I used to assure me that I had encountered an actual aspect of reality and not something from my own subconscious as in a lucid dream state. The realization that our entire reality was CONSCIOUS instantly eliminated my atheism. I cannot call our conscious reality anything else BUT God.

You talk of altered states using drugs, but they happen outside of conscious control and cannot be relied upon. The God Helmet experiments revealed that our brain IS sensitive to fields and that it tends to interpret them as a presence. That suggests to me that our brain is wired to be sensitive to the unified field (God's consciousness) that establishes our reality under certain altered brain states. I encountered the consciousness field that establishes our reality by achieving a deep meditative state and was blown away by it. I had to find a way to explain it to my intellect and I have succeeded. I still use my conscious control in altered states to distinguish between experiences from my subconscious and those that are real. I frequently experience "transients" during meditation that I cannot alter or control in any way. They are usually the result of someone thinking and/or emoting very strongly about me and sometimes I can actually identify the source.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I spent over 18 years developing my meditation technique aided by biofeedback. I perfected retaining conscious control while entering altered states. When I succeeded in achieving the deepest state, I retained my conscious control and awareness but was blindsided by what I encountered. Imagine your consciousness encountering a separate consciousness that is NOT separate but is also NOT remotely like yours. It is a multitude but it is just ONE with all that is. I simply cannot verbally convey the experience to anyone who has not had it. There is a "knowingness" and a loving acceptance and joy that is indescribable. I have tried to liken it to a crowd doing the wave at a sporting event, but that does not remotely capture the experience.

What was immediately clear to my conscious mind is that I could not control or alter the experience in the slightest. That meant that it was NOT part of my subconscious or any other aspect of ME. My inability to control my experiences in altered states was the test I used to assure me that I had encountered an actual aspect of reality and not something from my own subconscious as in a lucid dream state. The realization that our entire reality was CONSCIOUS instantly eliminated my atheism. I cannot call our conscious reality anything else BUT God.

You talk of altered states using drugs, but they happen outside of conscious control and cannot be relied upon. The God Helmet experiments revealed that our brain IS sensitive to fields and that it tends to interpret them as a presence. That suggests to me that our brain is wired to be sensitive to the unified field (God's consciousness) that establishes our reality under certain altered brain states. I encountered the consciousness field that establishes our reality by achieving a deep meditative state and was blown away by it. I had to find a way to explain it to my intellect and I have succeeded. I still use my conscious control in altered states to distinguish between experiences from my subconscious and those that are real. I frequently experience "transients" during meditation that I cannot alter or control in any way. They are usually the result of someone thinking and/or emoting very strongly about me and sometimes I can actually identify the source.
Thanks for that. That's all I needed to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality