Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:37 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,042 times

Advertisements

Threads of this conversation have popped up elsewhere and it's something I've pondered on more than one occassion...so forgive me if I indulge by starting a new thread on the topic

One of the age old ways a believer tries to convince a non-believer of a higher power is to have him/her look at the beauty of nature and ask him/her, "Now can this really all be due to chance alone? Can't you see there is an artist at work here?"

So let's take a mountain vista. Thanks to science, I can look at it and know (at least on a basic level), HOW the mountains formed, why there's snow on top of them and that yes, this is indeed the right type of soil for a pinon pine forest. That's pretty cool (and my logical brain is forever grateful that I am able to HAVE this knowledge), but the other, less logical (spiritual?) side of me has a more emotional reaction and just says "WOW! That's so beautiful!"

That's the side of me (us?) that can't help but wonder if there's something "bigger" than us out there. I certainly can't prove it, but somehow I guess I WANT to believe that I'm really looking at a work of art and not a bunch of "randomness" that happens to make a pretty picture.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but we as humans seem to have at least some universal standards, regardless of time or culture. I think almost anyone would much rather gaze at the above mountain vista than say, a pile of dirt. Still, are we merely "conditioned" to find mountains (or beaches, or whatever) asthetically pleasing? If, instead of Earth, we inhabited the dirt pile filled planet Zygor...would we look at THAT world with the same sense of wonder?

(Perhaps that's why the aliens are more scientifcally advanced than we are, ha ha.)

Thanks for letting me ramble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 05:02 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times
It's called an argument from incredulity.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:06 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,168,548 times
What's beautiful changes from person to person. Some people don't think mountains are beautiful. Some like the look of the desert while others don't.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:23 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
The believer can see the beauty of Gods design in nature and everything else that is beautiful..The atyhiest also sees the beauty of nature and marvels at the way things happened to scientifically create such beauty..We believers see God in the miracle of a new born, etc, etc..We cannot explain to the unbeliever and others why God allowed babies to be born only to die of starvation, disease, and abuse in the arms of mothers suffering the same...I know that I can't explain it to myself...and I wonder

Old 03-13-2008, 05:33 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,433,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
We cannot explain to the unbeliever and others why God allowed babies to be born only to die of starvation, disease, and abuse in the arms of mothers suffering the same...I know that I can't explain it to myself...and I wonder
If you believe in Karma and afterlife, this would explain why some people are burn in such conditions, this is one of the reasons I believe in those things, what could otherwise be the explanation? at least in my humble point of view

Old 03-13-2008, 05:55 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
It could have happened that we were all created without the need to eat.
Or maybe with very simple taste buds that required that we only ate tree bark or something else as bland.
But we were given complex taste buds, and a HUGE variety of edible goodies.
Take for example the cocoa tree, wheat, sugar cane, and a vanilla pod. Combine them with mankinds creativity and PRESTO!
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES.

I really don't understand atheism

Old 03-13-2008, 06:01 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Oakback! You mean athiests don't have taste buds

Old 03-13-2008, 06:04 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,168,548 times
Quote:
Well, I don't really taste anything when I eat meat besides the seasoning, so I don't eat it. It has been shown that some people when eating meat taste nothing or find the taste unappealing. I'm a health freak anyway, so my taste buds work in my favor.

I'm a vegan.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
It could have happened that we were all created without the need to eat.
Or maybe with very simple taste buds that required that we only ate tree bark or something else as bland.
But we were given complex taste buds, and a HUGE variety of edible goodies.
Take for example the cocoa tree, wheat, sugar cane, and a vanilla pod. Combine them with mankinds creativity and PRESTO!
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES.

I really don't understand atheism
Ummmm.... it's not very hard to understand how that could be a very valuable survival mechanism. Taste and smell are closely linked senses. Have you ever bitten into something rotten that may have caused you to otherwise get sick had you continued eating it? Ever heard that berries taste a certain way if they're poisonous? Similarly, many animals have a keen sense of taste. Sadly... I don't think my dog is one of them as I caught him eating cat poop the other day....

Anyway, my point is that there are probably animals with a keener sense of taste than humans just as there are animals with a keener sense of smell, touch, vision, and hearing.

As for the rest (cookies, cake, etc...) although they are delectable they are human creations that we have particularly made to suit our taste buds the best. To further on that, if we all had the same taste buds than all foods would taste equally good or bad to us. This tells us that even our taste buds are the result of genetic variation. However, it is usually the most repulsive things that are seen as equally uneatable by most humans and those are generally the things that could harm us the most.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:08 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
Quote:
Sure they do.
They just don't see the reflection of the divine in the smiles of us pulling a tray of hot chocolate chip cookies out of the oven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality