Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:35 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
It's great when you know the schedule for future omens and schedule vacations around them.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/future/

Two red birds flying north followed by a sparrow is an omen to me, what do I know, I have a beetle in a box, but yeah, I see omens that often depend on clouds and where you live with what you believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 05:15 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
It's great when you know the schedule for future omens and schedule vacations around them.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/future/
There used to be a cruise company that advertised in Smithsonian Magazine about two-week cruises with viewing the solar eclipses as the highlight of the trip. The cruise would go to wherever on the ocean the eclipse was visible. Wasn't cheap.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:04 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I posed this question a dozen times in the Christian forum and no Christian has ever been able to answer.

Please give us logical explanation why God simply has to have us burning in fire in hell eternally or He's really pissed. The Bible gives no origin or explanation for fire in hell. Why couldn't God have created a twilight zone where sinners just exist in darkness or gray mist. Why explicitly does a soul have to burn in fire in order to satisfy God? What's the purpose? Just to make a sinner suffer the most extreme pain God can inflict on them? Isn't God able to devise pain that's 10x's worse than the most painful punishment fire can inflict? Please explain.

The only alternative is that this "fire in hell" thing was an invention of the early Church to scare pagans into joining Christianity.

What cracks me up is when I hear people say "the hottest part of hell" just to up the ante even more.
What - there are cooler parts of hell that are more desirable than hotter parts?

It's ridiculous honestly that grown adults still in this day and age believe in all this nonsense.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:28 PM

12,266 posts, read 2,966,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I posed this question a dozen times in the Christian forum and no Christian has ever been able to answer.

Please give us logical explanation why God simply has to have us burning in fire in hell eternally or He's really pissed. The Bible gives no origin or explanation for fire in hell. Why couldn't God have created a twilight zone where sinners just exist in darkness or gray mist. Why explicitly does a soul have to burn in fire in order to satisfy God? What's the purpose? Just to make a sinner suffer the most extreme pain God can inflict on them? Isn't God able to devise pain that's 10x's worse than the most painful punishment fire can inflict? Please explain.

The only alternative is that this "fire in hell" thing was an invention of the early Church to scare pagans into joining Christianity.
Because it's based on the belief that hell was actually underground and where the most common religious texts of today came from, the Mediterranean, there was and is volcanic activity. The idea that heaven and hell are in another dimension is a newer one. In ancient times people thought the dead literally lived in the sky joining the stars, and that was one reason for cremation because smoke rises and a reason for ascension myths. If the deceased weren't going up, they were believed to be joining Pluto or Hades and Persephone underground. The devil was later substituted for Pluto or Hades or other gods of the underworld.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:49 PM

10,022 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Wrong place to pose that question; no Christian thinks that s/he is going to hell. Jesus has taken their sins away. Only the sinners who do not believe in Jesus are going to hell. Ask any Christian.

Hell fire or Paradise are not literal places. Nobody knows exactly how it would be either in paradise or hell. In scriptures, these are indications, parables, examples, allegories and not literal places. The abode of sinners is abyss. It is called hell fire just to make you know what it is like to be in abyss.

You could be nothing after your death just as you were nothing before your existence. Some people dislike that thought rather than being in paradise or hell. I said that to my younger brother once and he got worried. He said, "you are joking, aren't you?" I smiled when I saw that he didn't want to be nothing after his death.
I wonder how many Christians you have asked.
I imagine you are talking about the Bible's hell.
Can you think of anyone righteous who went to hell ?
According to Acts 2:27 the day righteous Jesus died Jesus went to hell, Not some religious-myth hell but biblical hell.
There is a BIG difference.
Christians know the Bible's hell is the temporary grave otherwise Jesus would still be in hell.
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures which teach sleep in death - Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4 besides Ecclesiastes 9:5 that the dead know nothing. Nothing but sleep according to Jesus' words at John 11:11-14.
So, the abode of the dead is the temporary grave.
The un-dead Satan is who is cast into the abyss according to chapter 20 of Revelation.
After Satan is released from the abyss, then Jesus will destroy Satan according to Hebrews 2:14 B.
Satan ends up in the symbolic ' second death ' of Rev. 21:8.
Since Jesus destroys Satan, then ' second death ' is a fitting term for: destruction.
Unrepentant sinners do Not end up in biblical hell, but are destroyed forever as per Psalm 92:7.

When the KJV Bible translated the word Gehenna in English as hellfire especially then people were taught fire in death.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed. Not kept burning forever.
Please note as Psalm 92:7 says the wicked will be destroyed forever (Not burning) but annihilated.
Also, please note, according to Revelation 1:18, Jesus has keys to unlock temporary biblical hell.
The Bible's hell comes to a final end according to Rev. 20:13-14. After everyone in biblical hell is ' delivered up ' ( meaning resurrected out of hell ) then, emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell.

The beautiful paradisical Garden of Eden was a real paradise on Earth.
Revelation 22:2 promises a return to such beautiful paradisical Earth when mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the healing of earth's nations. Jesus will fulfill God's promise to father Abraham that ALL families of Earth will be blessed, and ALL nations of Earth will be blessed. Blessed with all the benefits that originally existed in Eden before Adam's downfall -> Genesis 12:3; Genesis 22:18; Revelation 22:2.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:03 PM

10,022 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
What cracks me up is when I hear people say "the hottest part of hell" just to up the ante even more.
What - there are cooler parts of hell that are more desirable than hotter parts?
It's ridiculous honestly that grown adults still in this day and age believe in all this nonsense.
Especially ridiculous because the Bible's hell is simply mankind's temporary stone-cold grave.
False clergy's teachings have ' fire ' so deeply embedded in people's minds that it is very hard to erase.
When the KJV Bible translated into English the word Gehenna as hell fire, false clergy used fire as a scare tactic to try to control the flock.
Gehenna was simply a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed Not kept burning.
So, Gehenna is a fitting word to stand for destruction. As Psalm 92:7 says the wicked are destroyed forever.
Whereas, those in the grave ( biblical hell ) can have a resurrection out of biblical hell as per Revelation 1:18.

At Acts 2:27 Jesus went to biblical hell the day he died until his God resurrected Jesus out of hell.
Since Jesus, and the old Hebrew Scriptures, teach unconscious sleep in death, then Jesus believed while dead he was in a sleep-like state as he taught at John 11:11-14 which is in harmony with Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Ecclesiastes 9:5.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:48 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

Yeah I've seen that mentioned as well, esp from NDE's and visions.
It seems this is reserved for "Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit", and religious preachers and pastors who fell away or were corrupt.
Murderers have their own part of Hell as well, along with adulterers, idolaters, drunkards, liars etc.
Maybe we'd need to go in there with a calibrated thermometer , and work out which area is the hottest part.
Hopefully just the humble sinner may get less punishment.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:51 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
God said Hell is fire because it causes purification

Old 08-24-2017, 03:59 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God said Hell is fire because it causes purification
So you don't believe unbelievers are consciously tormented forever in hell, hljc?

Old 08-24-2017, 05:21 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Yes, He is pissed with you if you do not obey Him after He created you and created everything else for you to enjoy.
Really? So he created things like bacteria, viruses, and cancer for me to enjoy? He created natural disasters, death, and all kinds of miseries for us to enjoy?

I don't know. Maybe your life is filled to the brim with nothing but good times and enjoyment, but for MOST people, life only contains very few and very fleeting moments worth remembering. MOST people simply spend their days struggling just to survive.

I really don't give a rat's ass if God is pissed because I don't obey. I'm a sentient being not a slave; if all God wanted was blind obedience, he should have created a species that did exactly that. Yeah, I guess God doesn't want robots. He wants you to voluntarily choose to be a robot and then receives the added extra bonus of eternally torturing those who actually USE their free will.

I also don't give a rat's ass how powerful or divine God is, either, because morality is independent of the actor and not even God is above that -- especially a God who is supposed to be the wellspring of love and compassion. There is absolutely nothing moral about creating a sentient, thinking, feeling species like humans just so you can boss them around, demand their worship, and brutally punish anyone who dares to defy the creator.

It's just too bad that many deity worshipers of all kinds, including Christians, never seem to realize that the gods they worship behave in precisely the manner you would expect a typical mortal human to behave if said human had unlimited power. For a goodly number of humans, they would demand obedience, worship, adoration, praise, and love from a "lesser" species and punish those who refused -- just like damn near every god ever worshiped by humanity.

In other words, the early authors -- the inventors of religion -- simply didn't have the imagination or understanding of what a truly divine being would be like or how it would act so they did the easy thing and asked, "How would we behave if we were divine? Oh right, we would demand obedience, worship, praise, etc. etc." Viola! Some 3,000 gods of various kinds -- including Yahweh -- were born.

Quote:
Because that would be easy to endure and, therefore, not be enough to deter you from sinning. The deterrent has to be real deterrent.
Except it's not a real deterrant. Hell is as made-up as Mordor and Oz. The reason why Hell is all about fire is because fire is universally known to be extremely painful. The fear of fire cuts across all cultures especially in those primitive eras when fire was a poorly understood phenomenon. Hell had to consist of a universally feared element and fire was the best choice. Otherwise some people might not be overly afraid of Hell.

Notice how religions are usually quite specific about what Hell is like because it's easy to find aspects of our world that are universally feared no matter who you are -- and fire is considered to be THE number one worst kind of pain the mortal body experiences. Thus creating a Hell made of fire is a no-brainer.

However, notice too how the nature of Heaven is very non-specific, extremely vague, and often encompasses the kinds of luxuries that someone with a Bronze Age lifestyle would find appealing. For instance, having streets paved with gold is the kind of thing that a Bronze Age peasant would be awed by, but someone in the 21st Century probably wouldn't be all that impressed -- and wouldn't care what the streets looked like.

In any event, the problem with Heaven is that it would be different for each individual. There can be no universally loved Heaven. So the authors of religion were smart enough to keep Heaven vague and only include things that everyone wouldn't mind having there -- no sickness, no pain, no sorrow, no death, that kind of thing. Those attributes fall under the "no duh!" category.

But you can't really start describing what Heaven actually looks like or what we do there for all eternity because the more specific you get with Heaven, the greater the chance of turning someone off. If a holy book decides that Heaven is a wintery mountain wonderland filled with crackling fires, knee-deep snow, and a cozy cabin in the woods, lots of people would say, "That's not at ALL heavenly -- where are the tropical beaches with balmy breezes, turquoise water, and someone bringing me a drink every 15 minutes?"

This is why you can tell that it's all made-up from end to end. If Heaven and Hell were real places, they would be more than just a place of physical torture or a place where there isn't any negativity.

Quote:
God doesn't get any satisfaction from it, the sinner gets the reward from it for sinning.
Balderdash. Poppycock. If God actually existed, you can bet your eternal soul on the fact that God gets off punishing people. That's all God did all throughout the Old Testament. And his punishments were quite often out of all proportion to the actual sin being committed -- like sentencing a jaywalker to the electric chair. And his whole family, too. And everyone he's ever had contact with from the doctor who delivered him as a baby to the cashier at Wal-Mart who rang up his purchase 10 minutes ago.

However, the most obvious proof of God's punishment fetish is the fact that, well ... he's God. He didn't HAVE to set up the world in this fashion so that enormous amounts of punishments have to be dished out. Remember very clearly that humans didn't bring sin into the world -- God did as the punishment for disobedience.

Bringing sin into the world as a punishment even though God hates sin is about as smart as being on a cross-country car trip and saying you're going to punish your rap-hating child with 3,000 miles of rap music -- even though you hate rap as much as your kid. Duh! Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Not a very quick-witted god.

Quote:
To reward you for sinning.
Meh?

Quote:
Just as you love pleasure in sinning why should you not love pain as a reward for it?
And this logic makes sense to you, does it?

Quote:
He is able to do that but He knows what you would understand. You do understand the pain fire can inflict (you have experienced its heat) but you have not experienced pain of something 10 times worse. He, who created you, knows what you will understand what you would not understand. The reward for sinning has to be experienced. Fire is perfect for you to experience pain.
It's amazing to me that people still buy into this primitive garbage -- as if the best punishment God could come up with in his infinite imagination was something as shallow and one-dimensional as physical torture. If anything, our life here on earth is more equatable to a punishment than something as prosaic as hellfire. The torture we all experience here on earth is infinitely more diabolical and painful than merely having your physical body burned. Everything from losing our loved ones to death and disease to the law of diminishing returns -- and many, many more things -- makes THIS life the true punishment.

Quote:
Hell fire or Paradise are not literal places. Nobody knows exactly how it would be either in paradise or hell. In scriptures, these are indications, parables, examples, allegories and not literal places. The abode of sinners is abyss. It is called hell fire just to make you know what it is like to be in abyss.
Uh huh ... and there are as many guesses as to what Heaven and Hell are like as there are stars in the galaxy. Why? Because NO one knows what lies beyond the veil.

Quote:
You could be nothing after your death just as you were nothing before your existence. Some people dislike that thought rather than being in paradise or hell. I said that to my younger brother once and he got worried. He said, "you are joking, aren't you?" I smiled when I saw that he didn't want to be nothing after his death.
Just ask him how horrible he thought his "existence" was before he was born. Yeah. That usually ends that line of questioning immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality