Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 02:29 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,343,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
There's a lot of New Age-type shops around where I've lived. They tend to stock Tarot cards, incense, candles, Tibetan singing bowls, bling, crystals, amulets and books about Wicca, Buddhism, Yoga, Meditation and other esoteric beliefs.

They always smell good. I burn quite a bit of incense, especially in winter and will browse the shops every couple-few months.
There's no such thing anywhere near where I live, more's the pity. I'm not a fan of incense ... it's so heavy. At least the ones I've ever experienced. Is there a particular scent you like, Trout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I would say that there are people who recognize that their particular faith or faith tradition is among those grouped under the banner of "New Age," and who do not deny the possibility of value in other "paths."
Well, that's the thing ... "New Age" doesn't seem to be a particular path. I came across an article by a Christian who says some people say he's too "New Age" for them. It was interesting, and maybe it'll give you some insights MissHepburn, into what people who refer to New Age on this forum are meaning by it:

Jesus: The Original "New Age" Thinker | HuffPost

Old 08-21-2017, 04:18 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,513,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What is it...or what do you think it is.
Seems to be often mocked and a threat..why?
Also, it seems people looking 'at' something through a window label it New Age, not
the person speaking or writing...why?
And then dismiss what is said.
Seems what is said, that is called New Age talk, is ancient talk...and often not something Jesus would
have any argument about....but would put the person at the head of the class! ha!
people attack apologetics and new age. You know, because they change the belief based on observation.

Deeply held belief statements about god types can't have that. Either literally for or literally against, they are afraid to be wrong.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:59 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,016,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
I'm guessing maybe something described here:

https://carm.org/new-age-more

https://carm.org/new-age

I just skimmed it admittedly, but I'd say he's got a pretty good grasp on it. Basically, any form of witchcraft, necromancy, fortune telling or idolatry, sums up the New Age category pretty well. It's all an abomination to Him. Peace

Old 08-21-2017, 05:34 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,782,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I just skimmed it admittedly, but I'd say he's got a pretty good grasp on it. Basically, any form of witchcraft, necromancy, fortune telling or idolatry, sums up the New Age category pretty well. It's all an abomination to Him. Peace
I agree.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:39 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,870,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Well, that's the thing ... "New Age" doesn't seem to be a particular path. I came across an article by a Christian who says some people say he's too "New Age" for them. It was interesting, and maybe it'll give you some insights MissHepburn, into what people who refer to New Age on this forum are meaning by it:

Jesus: The Original "New Age" Thinker | HuffPost
Well, that certainly covers many of the Christian New Age pigeonholes.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,280,658 times
Would it be fair to say New Agey is considered by Christians to be wrong,
bad, un-christian, then ? Oh and an abomination?

pleroo ...very good link...thank you

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 08-21-2017 at 06:02 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
It would be fair to say that about mainstream and especially fundamentalist Christians. They generally use it as a pejorative to avoid confronting the idea they can't use in their control games. The article posted by Pleroo should give you and idea of what thinking Christians consider.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I would venture to guess that many Christians would NOT consider "New Agey" to be any of those things. But those Christians would be considered "New Agey" by other Christians who DO think it's wrong, bad, un-Christian and an abomination.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:49 PM

Beatcha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality