Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:27 PM

2,309 posts, read 900,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I'm wondering if the root comes down to fear. Fear that one's religious ideology may be wrong. Fear that one may become uncomfortable if they take off their lenses and look at things from other perspectives.

Anyway, curious to hear what others think.
Atheists aren't immune to intolerance either. Stalin was an atheist and look what he did.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
But G-d was smarter yet-
He drew a cross to square both our debt.

But Buddhanatta was witter yet!
She raked away what was circled and crossed.
No need for dirty fingers and picked up dust.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
That is what they do with the Bible God, they want to love the Power and Immortality imagined carrots. The Bible God says "DON'T LOVE ANYONE MORE THAN YOU LOVE ME" And they try to "understand and accept" the Monogod as described in the Bible versions.

The Biblical character Jesus says "Many will cast out demons in my name, and venerate my name, and I will say to them (because of their inadequacy) 'Depart from me, I never knew you!'"

This means that because you call yourself a Biblical Christian, it doesn't mean you are one. Even if you have enough "faith-power" mojo to cast out demons (as Christ is very technically Lord of All Demons), you might not be "faithful enough" in that you might "believe" a lot, but not deed correctly.

The "Bible G-d" IS G-d.

And the reason He doesn't know them (as a man knew his wife, ie. one with her) is because they refused to know Him in His sufferings, ie. the law that condemns the flesh = the cross. Which all the world, and a large segment of the Christians, hate the thought of as it pertains to them, yourself included. Peace

Old 08-24-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
But Buddhanatta was witter yet!
She raked away what was circled and crossed.
No need for dirty fingers and picked up dust.

And he's dead, too. Only Christ arose. Peace

Old 08-24-2017, 10:42 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Atheists aren't immune to intolerance either. Stalin was an atheist and look what he did.
Stalin was raised by atheists? I thought his Dad was an abusive lay-Christian cobbler, and his mom put Stalin in school to become an Orthodox priest (he had already been baptized into Orthodoxy). He was initially really good at the school, but the more he read the more "rebellious" he got by saying he had become an atheist, talking in class, and not taking his hat off to passing Orthodox monks.

Indeed, Stalin was very intolerant. Then again, I guess he learned that form the Tzars (and maybe from Orthodox fundies); what with their "we can't tolerate what is bad and wrong" attitude that seeped into him from childhood and teen-age years.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Spirit, right. What you are talking about is pure imagination. Anyone can do it, which is why all these different denominations feel that they are guided by the same Abrahamic Spirit into different answers for the same questions. The Muslims even feel that Allah and Allah's angels are the guiding spirits on Earth. Spirit? Might as well be a Fairy, for all that it is evident and true. Have faith in the Fairy, and you will believe there is a Fairy (hidden, yet there if you believe with faith).

Yours is, that's a fact. Mine is not. He teaches, He heals, He speaks, He is not made of wood or stone. Peace

Old 08-24-2017, 11:25 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I'm wondering if the root comes down to fear. Fear that one's religious ideology may be wrong. Fear that one may become uncomfortable if they take off their lenses and look at things from other perspectives.

Anyway, curious to hear what others think.
Intolerance comes from the inability to understand that your point of view is not the end of all.

Ignorance comes from not knowing. It can also come from being brainwashed/conditioned into being ignorant. It also comes from thinking you know something with absolute certainty and are not open to learning anything more about it. There are many other reasons for ignorance. I tossed out a few.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:32 PM

2,309 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Stalin was raised by atheists? I thought his Dad was an abusive lay-Christian cobbler, and his mom put Stalin in school to become an Orthodox priest (he had already been baptized into Orthodoxy). He was initially really good at the school, but the more he read the more "rebellious" he got by saying he had become an atheist, talking in class, and not taking his hat off to passing Orthodox monks.

Indeed, Stalin was very intolerant. Then again, I guess he learned that form the Tzars (and maybe from Orthodox fundies); what with their "we can't tolerate what is bad and wrong" attitude that seeped into him from childhood and teen-age years.
Oh so now instead of looking at the person for who he was, you blame his environment.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:43 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Default What leads to all the intolerance and ignorance?

Actually, it is ignorance that leads to intolerance, IMO.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:53 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually, it is ignorance that leads to intolerance, IMO.
no.
it is looking down on others and considering yourself better than others that produces intolerance.
it is arrogance, it is ego, it is being a snob, it is being condescending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality