Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 04:20 PM

678 posts, read 429,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Well, you didn't ask for opinions, but I'm giving mine free of charge:

Stop thinking about what other people say about God. As a matter of fact, stop thinking about God at all. Start thinking about, and doing, things that give you, and others, joy. Practice that, until it becomes second nature.
I'll add my 2 cents. Try to focus on the positive - no sensationalized, polarizing news. Look into many self-help gurus or spiritual teachers to see if any resonate. Focus on your circle of influence - don't worry about country's problems if you can't control them. Try to be grateful, especially to be a citizen in world's wealthiest country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 05:52 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I don't mind having most opinions at all.

I also heard things to the effect of how God is coming to punish America and the rest of the world for turning their backs on him. I do believe that a lot of Christian fundamentalists are delusional and crazy and I don't want them to have to aspire political power or influence. But that doesn't necessarily take from my other point saying, well, what if they are right? After all, the only reason why religion sounds so primitive and fundamentalist is because the laws and doctrine were set and fulfilled by man or God himself millennia ago, usually not because the "crazy religious extremists" somehow recently hijacked it.
That's a very common and necessary question to answer when a person is trying to grow beyond the idea of the God of their youth(I hang around a recover board for exJW and everyone has had to grapple with that question. The board has seen more scared people show up lately because they sense Apocalypse in the air). I'd guess not being able to answer that is part of the anxiety you are feeling. I was lucky that the group I was in made many errors that outed them. I'm an atheist now but I answered that question while still a believer just by using the Bible. Your going to have to do some work to figure it out. The answers are out there though.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:54 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
God has nothing to do with religion.

Look around you. Take in the breathtaking beauty of the Earth and sky. Listen to the laughter of children. God is there. Set aside the teachings of men.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:54 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I want to say that I find it hard to want to believe in religion or the world outside the physical universe anymore. Seeing the current society conditions in the world (especially in the last 10 years), and because of some personal struggles too, I have a lot of doubt that God is good.
I find we are seeing the fulfillment (especially in the last 10 years) about these temporary last days of badness on Earth as described at 2nd Timothy 3:1-5,13 where it describes the selfish distorted form of love the world now displays which is the opposite of the definition of Christ-like love as defined at 1st Corinthians 13:4-6.

Also, we have the account about Job and his integrity and patience.
Satan challenges ALL of us at Job 2:4-5. Touch our ' flesh ' ( bad personal health ) and we would Not serve God.
Both Job and Jesus under adverse conditions proved Satan a liar and so can we.

Because we can Not resurrect oneself or another, out of God's goodness He sent Jesus to Earth for us to undo all the damage Satan and Adam brought upon us. In a nut shell, God promised father Abraham that ALL families of Earth will be blessed, and ALL nations of Earth will be blessed. Blessed with the benefits of food and healing for earth's nations according to Revelation 22:2; Genesis 12:3; 22:18. Jesus will fulfill God's promise.
That time is coming under Christ's 1,000-year rule over Earth when No one will say, "I am sick....." according to Isaiah 33:24.
Enemy death will be No more on Earth according to 1st Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8.
Earth will be transformed into a beautiful paradisical place as described at Isaiah chapter 35.
So, I am saying, " Don't Give Up ! ". As the old adage says it is always darkest before the dawn.
We are nearing that bright millennial dawning of Christ governing over Earth when Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
God has nothing to do with religion.
Look around you. Take in the breathtaking beauty of the Earth and sky. Listen to the laughter of children. God is there. Set aside the teachings of men.
I find at James 1:27 that God does have something to do with religion with worship.
Any thoughts about 1st Timothy 1:8-10 because I find a connection to law and worship.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find at James 1:27 that God does have something to do with religion with worship.
Any thoughts about 1st Timothy 1:8-10 because I find a connection to law and worship.
The Bible was written by men who think they know God. Religion is the path of men who want to control others.

God would never inspire writings that excluded the voices of women.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:07 PM

Timothy was not speaking about religion. He was addressing the reason we have laws. They are for people who cannot behave themselves.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:20 PM

691 posts, read 419,993 times
I hope you feel better. The only thing i can say to you is that the way things are is because of us. God did not force us to do these things and he even gave us a way to not do them. God knew that no matter what he gave us we would do what we want and he still gave us life.

We can not see the light without seeing the dark. With seeing the dark we can stay in the light.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I'll add my 2 cents. Try to focus on the positive - no sensationalized, polarizing news. Look into many self-help gurus or spiritual teachers to see if any resonate. Focus on your circle of influence - don't worry about country's problems if you can't control them. Try to be grateful, especially to be a citizen in world's wealthiest country.
I have found the many self-help teachers and books always seem to be updated or changed in some way.
Whereas, Bible principles, Bible standards, remain the same and work the same.
For example: Who was ever fined or arrested for keeping the Golden Rule.

Jesus too instructed to stay out of political problems as he and his followers remained neutral to country's problems.
They did Not even get involved in the issues of the day between the Jews verses the Romans but remained neutral.

We can all be citizens or subjects of the greatest ( spiritually wealthy ) country - 1st Peter 2:9,5.
That 'spiritual country' has No boundaries, No borders, and is Not located on any map.
Since Pentecost the Israel of God is a 'spiritual nation' comprised of spiritual people - Romans 2:28-29.
Earthly fleshly Jerusalem was the ' seat of government ' but since Pentecost Jerusalem ' above ' is now mother according to Galatians 4:26. So, we can be grateful because we can become part of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth when Jesus will have citizens or earthly subjects from sea to sea according to Psalm 72:8,12-14.
The words from Jesus' mouth will rid the Earth of the wicked as per Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:14-16. - Psalm 92:7.
Although now unseen we can see with the mind's eye and focus on all the positive promises God has made to us.
Such as: Revelation 22:2 that ALL of earth's nations will be cured or healed. Mankind will see the return of the Genesis 'Tree of Life' on Earth for food and healing for everyone on Earth. So, it should be No wonder that we are all invited to pray the invitation for Jesus to come (Rev. 22:20), Come and also bring Peace on Earth. - Psalm 46:9; Micah 4:3-4.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
The Bible was written by men who think they know God. Religion is the path of men who want to control others.
God would never inspire writings that excluded the voices of women.
Yes, and the 'God of the Bible' does Not exclude the voices of women:
We have the example of Ruth's voice, and Esther's voice. ( Bible books named after those women )
We have God's instruction to Abraham to listen (obey) his wife's Sarah's voice according to Genesis 21:12.

True, God did ' regulate ' what would be best, but Not control, otherwise no one could have broken the Law.
Also, we want to note God never did blame Eve, rather man (Adam) is blamed at Romans 5:12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality