Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The monkeys were obviously an example of social interaction, chosen specifically because they aren't human.

You are a clever person, yet you write as if you missed that very obvious point. I have a hard time believing you didn't understand. Are you so desperate to hate atheists that you willfully misconstrue simple things like this? Does your purposeful ignorance do any credit to your religion?
Many have tried holding a mirror to her behaviour.

She won't open her eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 10:57 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've never believed that the Bible says we have libertarian free will. That's a heresy called Pelagianism to suggest that we can freely choose God or sin. Fact is, we are all slaves to a sinful nature until God regenerates us and we are born again.

You seem to think that makes God bad? So what? If you believe you're the product of natural events, and your brain is just a peace of meat with random chemicals flowing through it, how is anything moral, immoral, good or bad?
According to the Bible God created evil. Is that bad? According to Christians, God is incapable of doing evil. What do Christians who believe that a creator God who specifically created evil, brought it into the world on purpose, but who, according to them, is incapable of doing evil know of moral, immoral, good or bad if they are really that confused?

I live in a world with other people. My concept of morality tells me that I if want others to treat me with concern and respect, I must treat other people with concern and respect. My morality builds off of that. I AM NOT CONFUSED.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:40 AM

392 posts, read 248,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
At one time uninformed guesswork assumed (on a commonsense guess) that the earth was flat. the "Great minds of science" came up with sound evidence that it was round.
It is the conditions and instrumentation that produce such a perspective.
Quote:
It went in the books and flat earthists came up with a lot of dissent and "reasons to doubt", but they never proved their case and are of course, wrong.
They would be wrong in the sense of misrepresenting what those conditions and instrumentation produce, if they were attempting to present such.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:04 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Indeed. The the whole 'How do we know what we know?' package with everything from 'Atheists have faith, too' to 'believe -or not' and from 'science is always getting it wrong' to the limitations of human perceptions is aimed at one idea - debunking human knowledge so as to make Faith look more valid.

It isn't. Not by a long way. The scientific method is based on questioning, changing the mind (if necessary)and moving on with better information. It is not Dogma or faith. But it has an impressive track record and what it considers reliable is pretty reliable.

Faith in fact changes its' dogma all the time, but pretends that it doesn't. It has a woefully poor track record. Despite the dismally poor attempts to find Science in the Bible (and - as we saw recently, the Quran) the assertions of religion are shown to be false time and again. Everything from the Seige of Jerusalem to the Nativity and from the Exodus to the trial of Jesus.

And as we saw, in the Muslim Dogma the barrier between fresh and salt water, the fly's wing cure, the rebounding lightning and the nonsensical description of human reproduction, all show there is no knowledge in the Quran that had to come from a god.

The subsequent denial was as remarkable to note as the remarkable desire of faith -based dogma to try to grab a little of the credibility that Science has earned for itself.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:19 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Does your purposeful ignorance do any credit to your religion?
Never has and never will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality