Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:40 PM

678 posts, read 429,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Yes, atheists are dogmatic.
Yes, atheism has dogma. Dogma about people who are atheists, dogma about atheism, dogma about people who are believers.

You get offended because I bring up the word dogma, yet you're saying that all atheists are dogmatic? Seems not only hypocritical but also prejudice.

I'm not an atheist but find your anger towards them unfortunate. I definitely think you would be happier if you could reduce that anger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 12:48 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
While they may offend you or be snarky not a single one of those comments are an example of dogma. Not by my definition and certainly not by the definitions you posted. As an atheist there are only one or two statements that I would maybe even agree with.

If dogma meant snarky or offensive comments then I think every single individual would be guilty of it but under the current definitions of the word all your examples fail. Thanks for answering I do appreciate your doing it.

So not all atheists are the same. of course not.
and not all theists are the same either. do you get that also?

and yet many atheists consistently post dogmatic views authoritatively speaking of theists as if they are all the same. why is that do you think?

Old 08-28-2017, 12:51 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Only if you have rites and rituals and say it is the only way to not believe in him...
and that this way was given to you by a supernatural being of your choice...
like Joseph Smith's spirit on the third Full Moon of the year.
Well... I do decorate my house with lights and a Christmas tree every year at Christmas. And Santa is a part of the iconography, even though I don't suppose that he actually exists. Jesus is NOT a part of the iconography however, since there is no reason to suppose that Jesus was born on December 25th. December 25th is actually associated with the winter solstice, and I DO believe in the winter solstice. I just don't ascribe any religious significance to it.

Do rites and rituals count for anything if you only participate in them for the fun of it? Other than that, no, there are no "we don't believe in God" rituals that atheists are involved with.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:39 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:

and yet many atheists consistently post dogmatic views authoritatively speaking of theists as if they are all the same. why is that do you think?
Apparently you don't bother reading much of what others post. I already stated that dogma and belief or religion are not the same and that one can be a believer or religious without dogma.

And atheists are speaking their minds strongly which you take as authoritative however they are not using the words from an authority. There are no atheists that say this is so because my leader claims it so whereas belevers can say this is so because Jesus or Paul or God says it's so.

Stating something strongly is not dogma.

Women can not be priests because Paul says so is dogma.

Woman cannot be priests because they are not smart enough could be a strongly held opinion but is, I hope, not church doctrine hence not dogma.

Can you see the difference?

The opinion that women are not smart enough in no way represents the poster's past current or future thoughts or opinions and was used simply for illustrative purposes. It also does not represent the opinions of CC, atheists, or the local humane society.☺

Old 08-28-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
You get offended because I bring up the word dogma, yet you're saying that all atheists are dogmatic? Seems not only hypocritical but also prejudice.

I'm not an atheist but find your anger towards them unfortunate. I definitely think you would be happier if you could reduce that anger.

There is no anger whatsoever.
simply, as another poster put it, education and teaching, in this case about word usage and word choices.
and also including atheists in all topics and discussions and word choices and word usage on the religion and spirituality forum.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
What is the spirit on the third Full Moon?

What about being saved by Jesus and that's the only way to get to heaven?
I was joking around with Tired about his disbelief in Santa.

Btw, the word dogma was fine for me....I related it to things others want us to belief as "the bomb".

Old 08-28-2017, 07:46 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Yes, atheism has dogma. Dogma about people who are atheists, dogma about atheism, dogma about theists.

The post above gives us two more examples of dogma from atheists:

"our calls are generally justified and the accusations of theism are not only not justified but are wrongheaded"

"theist inability to think logically or rationally, or even honestly"

dog·mat·ic
adjective
inclined to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true

dog·ma
noun
a principle or set of principles laid down as incontrovertibly true
something held as an established opinion, a definite authoritative tenet
No. Those are conclusions, not Dogma. They are based on logical predicates which were not devised to prop up atheism. If you want to contest the validity of logic, you may do so (some theists do) but you must go to the logicians and tell them they are being dogmatic, not us.

Quote:

Because all theists, by definition, hold a god -belief. Logic does not support God -belief, so theists are, by definition illogical. When we say so, it is a conclusion based on logic. it is not dogma.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:55 PM

Here is another example of dogma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
.... everyone was born atheist by default because (instinct -to-trust apart) we have no God -concept until we are taught it. So in that respect all believers here were once atheist......
what's interesting though about this dogma is that it is identical in approach to that used by Islam as well, which states that everyone is born Muslim.

absolutely identical method and approach.
Trans, you have that in common with Muslims.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:09 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Yes, atheism has dogma. Dogma about people who are atheists, dogma about atheism, dogma about theists.
Ah, you don't seem to realize that dogma and dogmatic are different words. One can be dogmatic without adhering to dogma.

For a parallel example let's look at color (noun) and colorful (adjective). Black is a color, but is not colorful. A person can be colorful without being a color. Similarly, an atheist can be dogmatic without following dogma. I can dogmatically insist that all theists are stupid (for the record, I do not hold this opinion), yet this is not a tenet established by any authoritative atheist (of which none exist).

Quote:
The post above gives us two more examples of dogma from atheists:

"our calls are generally justified and the accusations of theism are not only not justified but are wrongheaded"

"theist inability to think logically or rationally, or even honestly"
These are the opinions of an individual, not authoritative atheist dogma, which I feel obligated to repeat does not exist.

Quote:
dog·mat·ic
adjective
inclined to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true

dog·ma
noun
a principle or set of principles laid down as incontrovertibly true
something held as an established opinion, a definite authoritative tenet

Old 08-28-2017, 08:14 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Here is another example of dogma.

what's interesting though about this dogma is that it is identical in approach to that used by Islam as well, which states that everyone is born Muslim.

absolutely identical method and approach.
Trans, you have that in common with Muslims.

Not dogma. It is an opinion held by Transponder, and I don't agree with it. Attributing any belief, or lack thereof, to an infant is meaningless. They don't have a sufficiently developed intellect to really assign any value to degrees of belief, so claiming atheism is mere sophistry.

You seem to be confusing opinion or assertion with dogma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality