Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 03:11 PM

18,976 posts, read 6,992,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Sounds like a great father to me A father who punishes the vast majority of his children for eternity because they didn't choose the same thing you decided to choose. Your God seems evil and I think that may be why there's a shift (even Pope Francis) to more liberal interpretations and religions.

How do you personally feel? That the world isn't just enough so you want others to suffer greater? That you're superior because you accept Jesus?
Do you realize that one is not a child of God if he does not believe in Jesus? The Bible refers to him as a child of the devil. So no--God does not punish his children. He rewards them with eternal life.

And no--God saved me not because I was good. Not even close. Nothing I could do makes me deserving of salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 03:15 PM

19,941 posts, read 13,433,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's because I'm not infinitely holy, I didn't create anyone, I didn't create the world. I don't own the world, and no one is obligated to listen to me.
Special pleading. It isn't suddenly just, ethical, or right for a deity to do this just because they're a deity or a creator, or have an ownership claim.

Zounds. I own a dog. Do I get to kick it when I feel like it, even if it's not obeying me, just because I own it? I don't think so. Even a cur deserves better than that.

All I'm suggesting is that god at least meet puny human standards of ethical conduct and kindness and love ... let alone the sort of higher standard that a deity arguably ought to demonstrate adherence to.

Every time you excuse such behavior based on specious "might makes right" arguments, you reveal the moral bankruptcy of your belief-system and the deity you allege that originated it.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Special pleading. It isn't suddenly just, ethical, or right for a deity to do this just because they're a deity or a creator, or have an ownership claim.

Zounds. I own a dog. Do I get to kick it when I feel like it, even if it's not obeying me, just because I own it? I don't think so. Even a cur deserves better than that.
Did you speak and create the dog from nothing?
Quote:
All I'm suggesting is that god at least meet puny human standards of ethical conduct and kindness and love ... let alone the sort of higher standard that a deity arguably ought to demonstrate adherence to.

Every time you excuse such behavior based on specious "might makes right" arguments, you reveal the moral bankruptcy of your belief-system and the deity you allege that originated it.
I don't believe you're qualified to tell the God of the universe what is and is not moral.

And no--ONCE AGAIN, it has nothing with that dumb "might makes right" argument. So please stop insulting us.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:55 PM

63,727 posts, read 40,000,791 times
Quote:
God is also just, and wrathful. He will punish sin according to his nature--infinite holiness.
Sorry. But that is a perverse and evil doctrine, IMO. I am NOT judging you or God, though. I am judging the BELIEFS ABOUT God. I cannot in my wildest imaginings harbor such evil as Eternal Torment and believe it has anything to do with the holiness of God.
Quote:
But because he's love he does save those that trust in Jesus. So he doesn't send anyone to hell--they go there of their own volition.
This is an even more perverse application of the Godfather logic - an offer you can NOT refuse without suffering severe consequences. My God is our loving Father, NOT an evil Godfather.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:09 PM

678 posts, read 428,719 times
Quote:

And no--God saved me not because I was good. Not even close. Nothing I could do makes me deserving of salvation.
Care to describe the experience of being saved? I know you mentioned it happened at college. I'm guessing there was someone on your college campus that influenced you. My local college has a fundamentalist "preacher" that sets up shop and has an interesting very confrontational style.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:14 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,315,895 times
Quote:
Did you speak and create the dog from nothing?

I don't believe you're qualified to tell the God of the universe what is and is not moral.

And no--ONCE AGAIN, it has nothing with that dumb "might makes right" argument. So please stop insulting us.
So Jews are not children of God? How can you be qualified to question a person's ability to question your God's morality? Every thinking person has that right and ability. To not be able to means you will follow without questioning or even knowing morality or anything else.

Isn't it an insult to tell people of other religions that they are not children of God or that their God's are false? Are you qualified to tell others tgat their God or their flavour of your God is false?

If God is the Creator then Coyote is a very important part of Creation. And has the power to trick man.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So Jews are not children of God?
Not all Jews. Paul goes into that in Romans.
Quote:

How can you be qualified to question a person's ability to question your God's morality? Every thinking person has that right and ability. To not be able to means you will follow without questioning or even knowing morality or anything else.
You think you have the ability to judge God? Really?
Quote:
Isn't it an insult to tell people of other religions that they are not children of God or that their God's are false? Are you qualified to tell others tgat their God or their flavour of your God is false?
If I were simply making it up, or speaking on my own authority, sure. But God has stated that he is the only God. That means he's not compatible with those other religions. So the person that says their god is real is telling me that mine is not. Do they have that right? Or are you only going to criticize my God?
Quote:
If God is the Creator then Coyote is a very important part of Creation. And has the power to trick man.
I have no clue what that means.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Care to describe the experience of being saved? I know you mentioned it happened at college.
Did I? I don't recall saying exactly that.

I was saved as a young man, of college age. I started to attend a church and met some other Christians, and came to believe in Jesus. It's not overly dramatic.
Quote:

I'm guessing there was someone on your college campus that influenced you. My local college has a fundamentalist "preacher" that sets up shop and has an interesting very confrontational style.
I'm actually listening to a radio program today where they are listening in to "Brother Jed" as he preaches at a university. Apparently this guy travels around and preaches at a lot of universities. I'm sorry if that's the type of guy you're referring to. I really am. He's showing very little love and he isn't coherently explaining the Gospel.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:31 PM

11,011 posts, read 5,966,449 times
We have every right to judge the beast that murdered all the Egyptian first borns, drowned all the innocent babies along with everything else, allows or perhaps engineered the starving children in Africa(?). He is the alleged creator of all things and is thus responsible.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:49 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,315,895 times
Quote:
Not all Jews. Paul goes into that in Romans.

You think you have the ability to judge God? Really?

If I were simply making it up, or speaking on my own authority, sure. But God has stated that he is the only God. That means he's not compatible with those other religions. So the person that says their god is real is telling me that mine is not. Do they have that right? Or are you only going to criticize my God?

I have no clue what that means.
Sure I can judge your God's morality. And so can you. You have no more proof of your God than anyone else and just because he said so doesn't make the other Gods who said the same thing about themselves any more right or wrong. 9f courselves tgey hAve the right to sa yours is wrong and to pointroduce our aNY imorality they see in yours. There are non laws that protects your God from being judged or dismissed.

Sure I will citizens other Gods when they are brought up. Or when it's followers try to hijack our societies. And I can oppose non religious ideas that are threats or pose harms as well.

Of you don't know Coyote you have not checked out all the other religions. You just assume that yours can be the only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality