Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 05:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
When you play a song backwards, all you get is backwards sounds.

Sdnuos sdrawkcab si teg ouy lla, sdrawkcab gnos a yalp uoy nehw.
Yes. There's a very psychedelic track on Revolver (at the end, "tomorrow never knows' (1) where some of it is surely recorded backwards. I'd love to know what it sounds like the right way around.

(1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UjvdZm-Tu8

Actually after years of aleatoric and Ives, I think it is a quite ordinary guitar Electronified, like John's voice, plus some Indian fiddle music put through the electromincer and not Backwards at all. Just sounded like it to my untrained ears.

I may say that this was a Problem for me with Pop music. Unless you took a band and sound engineers around with you, you could not perform this on stage. This we saw with 'Strawberry fields'. With and without additional instruments. Without them, it sounded a bit ho hum.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-10-2017 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 07:50 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times
That said, there are professionally recorded songs, Sanctuary from Kingdom Hearts comes immediately to mind, where lyrics are backmasked during recording.

Sanctuary | Kingdom Hearts Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

But this technology typically requires sound software, much of which likely was not... nvm, it very much was available during the time of the Beatles. In fact, the wiki article mentions Revolver by name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backmasking

There is apparently a whole parody to this phenomenon, in Weird Al's "Nature Trail to Hell" the backmasked lyric is "Satan eats Cheez Whiz."

Old 09-10-2017, 02:24 PM

Ah so it WAS backwards instrumentals. I note that there is some debate about the backward messages, and the prominence of the more loopy type of Christians in making these claims.

Maybe someone wants to do the check. I have some paint I need to keep an eye on while it dries.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:20 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
"Say the word and you'll be free
Say the word and be like me
Say the word I'm thinking of
Have you heard the word is love?
It's so fine, it's sunshine
It's the word, love
In the beginning I misunderstood
But now I've got it, the word is good
Spread the word and you'll be free
Spread the word and be like me
Spread the word I'm thinking of
It's the word, love
Every where I go I hear it said
In the good and bad books that I have read
Say the word and you'll be free
Say the word and be like me
Say the word I'm thinking of
It's the word, love
Now that I know what I feel must be right
I'm here to show everybody the light
Give the word a chance to say
That the word is just the way
It's the word I'm thinking of
And the only word is love
It's the word, love
Say the word love
Say the word love
Say the word love
Say the word love."

The Word (Lennon-McCartney)

In my opinion they are one of the few musical artists of the past 50 years who so fully emphasized the direct teachings of Jesus Christ. But to a Christian in America, they represent Satan because of the fact that they deny the Trinity.

I was raised Southern Baptist and attended various evangelical churches. Sometimes if you even mentioned a band like the Beatles, during a non-church event, some people would just get up and walk out. You would be considered "satanic" for even mentioning a non-religious musical artist.

So, it depends. To a Roman Catholic or mainline Christian, they were okay. To a Billy Graham style Christian, they were the embodiment of Satan.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:54 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I was raised Southern Baptist and attended various evangelical churches. Sometimes if you even mentioned a band like the Beatles, during a non-church event, some people would just get up and walk out. You would be considered "satanic" for even mentioning a non-religious musical artist.

So, it depends. To a Roman Catholic or mainline Christian, they were okay. To a Billy Graham style Christian, they were the embodiment of Satan.
Not all of the latter would have felt that strongly about the Beatles specifically.

I was taught by my tribe of evangelicals that "rock music" generically was some sort of primitive incitement to one's baser impulses (code words for one's sexual desires, mainly). In other words, avoid it (Beatles included) or you would tend to devolve into some sort of libertine. I think they were rather cagey to approach it that way, as they correctly identified it as a cultural trend, which would be embraced to the detriment of our subculture. To call out a particular group would be to educate us about the genre, and maybe make us curious about it. As it was, I went through my entire adolescence ignorant of pop culture. Sure, I overheard the names of popular groups and snippets of popular songs, but they meant almost nothing to me.

Sometime in my early adulthood though I became aware of Christian Rock which attempted to sanctify the genre with lyrics consisting of god-talk. I found some of it appealing, but then Christian rock luminaries like Sandi Patti and Amy Grant started having the same "unauthorized" personal problems as unbelievers and secular rock performers -- they *gasp* had divorces and then they even *double gasp* crossed over to secular performance. That ruined them as role models. From our perspective, it confirmed the notion that rock music was deeply subversive and you could not escape its undertow.

Yeah, I know ... it was a spectacularly sheltered upbringing and I'll never entirely live it down :-\

At any rate, I point this out as people who aren't from an evangelical background might not be aware of the degree of fundamentalist animus toward much of pop culture, especially before some of them made an uneasy peace with Christian rock.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the Insight. What a way ti live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality