Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 10:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
He was a Rabbi, probably from a young age, given his knowledge in the temple. The Pharisees, I believe were a special branch. It is believed that he was probably influenced by the Essenes, and some of the later prophets.

The Pharisees were righteous according to Judaism. They believed in protecting their nation from corruption. Given that Israel very often got subjected to foreign idols followed by foreign rule, pretty valid. Especially since Israel was currently occupied by Rome.

Jesus on the other hand, had seen the Pharisees and their attention to cleanliness without recognizing the sayings of Hosea where mercy was held above sacrifice. There were poor, lepers, Samaritans, etc who needed help, and the Jews kept their hands clean.
You are, of course, taking the Gospel line as the right one. I say it was (demonstrably) written by Pauline Greek Christians, reflects their views (which were more hostile to Judaism than even Paul was) and cannot be trusted to give a fair view of Pharisees. I refuse even to use the term when being critical of some kinds of over -legalistic Christians who are a bit lacking in charity.

I won't give a lecture on Pharisees here, though I'm tempted. I'll just say that two of the quotes given to Jesus are from Hillel, a noted Pharisee teacher.

“What you yourself hate, don't do to your neighbor. This is the whole law; the rest is commentary. Go and study.”
-- Hillel the Elder

Hillel stood in the gate of Jerusalem one day and saw the people on their way to work. "How much," he asked, "will you earn to-day?" One said: "A denarius"; the second: "Two denarii." "What will you do with the money?" he inquired. "We will provide for the necessities of life." Then said he to them: "Would you not rather come and make the Torah your possession, that you may possess both this and the future world?"

"Whoever has acquired the words of the Law has acquired the life of the world to come."

I might mention also that I do not regard Luke as very trustworthy. As a rule, an important event that the Other writers don't mention is likely to be made up. The adolescent Gaon in the temple episode is one of those. It is improbable in itself, is not hinted at anywhere else, and has a striking resemblance to a remark made by Josephus about himself - not the only item in Luke that suggests that he access to Josephus' works.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-27-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality