Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:28 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since Satan is actually our unconscious reptilian brain which is the source of all our drives and desires, this post is accurate.
Satan is actually our unconscious reptilian brain? What the heck are you talking about?

Quote:
I have no quarrel with honesty as a first principle and never have had any. The problem I see has to do with motive, purpose, and intent, a-la the "would you have lied to the Nazis to protect Jews" meme. There are clearly situations and circumstances surrounding our communication with others that belie (pardon the pun) the absolutist position you espouse, Cruithne. Would you acknowledge that?

Yes I would have lied to the Nazi's to protect the Jews.
You will notice I stated "I rarely, if ever, lie about anything." I didn't say I would never lie.
There are situations that demand it and that is my moral judgement to make.

In the 'lying about praying' situation you are putting your beliefs on a higher pedestal than mine. I don't judge your belief in god to be on a higher moral plane than mine, I judge them to be equal. A Christian should respect my atheism as I respect their theism and I should not be asked me to do something which goes against the grain for me. I do not consider it in any way necessary to hide the fact that I am atheist. If you want to pray, go ahead, but equally respect my right not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 02:37 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I guess if America keeps Satan busy, the rest of the world can relax.

Yay Canada!
Blame it on Canada?...

Old 09-25-2017, 03:17 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Satan is actually our unconscious reptilian brain? What the heck are you talking about?
I was sure that most people here knew about my view of the source of our baser urges (actually virtually all of them) as in the unconscious reptilian brain or Limbic system and lower brain including the spinal cord. Regrettably, Photobucket has sought to make money off hosting photos and will no longer allow me to post my favorite picture here. Perhaps you remember seeing it.
Quote:
You will notice I stated "I rarely, if ever, lie about anything." I didn't say I would never lie.

In the 'lying about praying' situation you are putting your beliefs on a higher pedestal than mine. I don't judge your belief in god to be on a higher moral plane than mine, I judge them to be equal. A Christian should respect my atheism as I respect their theism and I should not be asked me to do something which goes against the grain for me. I do not consider it in any way necessary to hide the fact that I am atheist. If you want to pray, go ahead, but equally respect my right not to.
I was not actually engaging on the prayer aspect, per se, Cruithne. We do not disagree about respect and rights. I am somewhat less invested than most in personal beliefs as something connected to me or my ego or sense of self so I simply do not accord such things much power in relationships. It is not necessary for others to know I am a believer any more than it was necessary for anyone to know I was not a believer at one time. On a discussion board, of course, all bets are off.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:28 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
No, it meant die to "sin". The undisturbed holy connection between God and us dying, due to sin, and losing that pure communion. Adam and Even both "died" to sin, and lost that connection. They also died in the literal sense (stopped living, breathing). That's nonsense to say they "didn't die".
If it says "you will surely die" then it means just that and only that. The did not die. Instead they saw that they were naked and got expelled from the G of E and went on to have kids and lived for 90 years.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:58 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
If it says "you will surely die" then it means just that and only that. The did not die. Instead they saw that they were naked and got expelled from the G of E and went on to have kids and lived for 90 years.
If they did Not die then A&E are on Earth walking around today, and we know they are Not.
Remember: Genesis 2:4 because all of the creative days are summed up by the word ' day '.

Remember too in 'Bible speak', so to speak, that particular ' day ' was a thousand-year day.
In other words, No one would live past one-thousand years after Adam broke God's Law.
In Genesis chapter 5 notice that 'Adam lived 930 years' or within that thousand-year day or time frame.

Jesus' coming 1,000-year reign over Earth is also a millennium-long day of being one-thousand years long.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Rules View Post
Jesus was without sin so why don't you just hold onto your emotional responses?

The other part you are correct about, usury of money is used to mislead masses.
well, if welfare is a sin,Jesus providing welfare has to be sinning....

Old 09-25-2017, 05:26 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I guess if America keeps Satan busy, the rest of the world can relax.

Yay Canada!
You guys have beelzeboot to deal with.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:27 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I was sure that most people here knew about my view of the source of our baser urges (actually virtually all of them) as in the unconscious reptilian brain or Limbic system and lower brain including the spinal cord. Regrettably, Photobucket has sought to make money off hosting photos and will no longer allow me to post my favorite picture here. Perhaps you remember seeing it. I was not actually engaging on the prayer aspect, per se, Cruithne. We do not disagree about respect and rights. I am somewhat less invested than most in personal beliefs as something connected to me or my ego or sense of self so I simply do not accord such things much power in relationships. It is not necessary for others to know I am a believer any more than it was necessary for anyone to know I was not a believer at one time. On a discussion board, of course, all bets are off.
Yes. I'd agree that the instincts (which are unconscious thoughts, so to speak) are the primitive brain and maybe the 'reptilian' bit. I'll have a look. Mind the non -conscious brain can do a lot of stuff that the reasoning brain in incapable of. Split second reaction. processing information and reacting to it that we are not even aware of. And of course the reasoning brain can be misused terribly. I suppose I'd go with startrek in saying that you need both to be an effective human, but the non -conscious needs to control of the conscious, and the conscious needs to control of reason.

Ps. This is quite good. I don't know whether it quite agrees with your famous diagrams and it definitely takes the Evilushunry view, but I saaw enough to hit the Like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx9a_N_pOgw

Old 09-25-2017, 06:07 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Blame it on Canada?...
He's Canadian.
He's saying Canada is safe.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:19 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
A situation that 'demanded', so to speak, is found at 1st Samuel 21:10-15 which was in harmony with God's moral judgement.
King David 'feigned insanity' (just a seeming lie) so as Not to divulge information that did Not belong to another.
David's action was Not a lie, but an intelligent disguising way to protect against wrongdoing.
What David did was Not synonymous with wrongdoing as a lie would be.
Lying to the Nazi's to protect the Jews would Not be wrongdoing and would be in harmony with God's moral judgement.
That would be a moral tactic to protect against wrongdoing, and is Not considered as a lie in the sense we think of a lie.

P.S. Satan, according to Revelation 12:9,12, is a real angelic creation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality