Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:21 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Turn or burn that's putting it simply but that's the idea.
Heavens no, the "Reformed Theology" is much worse than that, and Christ's message is not about punishment but about consequences, both good and poor, but the message is based in love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is the problem I've always had with Christians, even when I was one. Emphasizing the "good" side of things all too often, while ignoring the bad side.

"Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so". Okay. But what about the death and destruction in the Bible. I don't see many songs for children that describe burning in hell, or God washing away almost all people on earth, or Sodom and Gomorrah. Why don't you be honest...you gotta hook 'em while they're young.

Also an excellent point....IF you believe the bizarre notion that the whole Bible is a message from God rather than the clear fact that the Old Testament is a compendium of perceptions about God detailing the growing awareness of one ethnic group concerning the nature of God.

May I suggest that you reconsider what you have been taught about the Bible?

Old 09-26-2017, 12:26 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The Bible doesn't suggest that. We teach what Scripture says.
So you do teach the violence of the Bible, some of it done by God.

Thanks for that info.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing you are an advocate for teaching kids about sex ed, and possible diseases one can catch, right?

But you think it's abuse to teach that Jesus saves us from hell?

Amazing the double standard.
VD exists.
Hell may exist, or not, and probably not.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
You misrepresented the argument. We don't teach they're worthless slaves, or have no ability to think for themselves.

People are loved by God. Jesus died for sinners. Those that trust in him are saved.
If God loved the people he created, he'd at least give them sufficient food and water.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
No, I don't have a problem with the Jesus narrative. Even without hell Jesus could save/protect us from things that get us down in this life. I think telling kids that they are worthless slaves, fundamentally flawed, being judged for mistakes, don't have any ability to think for themselves, obey, obey, obey...is where the abuse is. Also calling that unconditional love is perverse.
Nicely capsuled Reform Theology

Old 09-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Also an excellent point....IF you believe the bizarre notion that the whole Bible is a message from God rather than the clear fact that the Old Testament is a compendium of perceptions about God detailing the growing awareness of one ethnic group concerning the nature of God.

May I suggest that you reconsider what you have been taught about the Bible?
Oh, I've reconsidered it, and thrown out the entire Old Testament. The New Testament...I'll keep the basic philosophy of Jesus without the magic.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh, I've reconsidered it, and thrown out the entire Old Testament. The New Testament...I'll keep the basic philosophy of Jesus without the magic.
Sounds fair to me. You can't go far wrong with that

Old 09-28-2017, 09:27 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
We all know someone who takes their kids to church and while and/or drops their kids off at Sunday school. I'm just wondering why Sunday school teachers are not honest with the kids.

The idea of Christianity is that God loves you and that one is born into sin. And while God loves you he will send you to hell "a place of burning for all time if you don't love or believe in him."

So why don't they just start out with this? It's honest. I think all 5 years olds should know this.
I don't think the main idea of Christian denominations is truly honesty, the main idea is believing by believing in order to better spread and thus continue to believe by believing (faith).

Old 09-29-2017, 08:08 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Yes. People that don't know Jesus go to hell. But we don't need to lead with that.
Wow. Pretty sure of yourself, aren't you? And I know that's not your opinion, but what God says, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality