U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:45 AM

27,952 posts, read 15,035,923 times

Advertisements

Judaism teaches that Hashem wished to do good, so He created beings that could appreciate it. - Why Did G-d Create the World?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 06:07 AM

15,350 posts, read 12,109,955 times
Who's Heshem?

If I'm going to talk about dharma, amrita or satchitananda I define my words knowing that people don't know Eastern terms.
It's part of communicating...it would be diff if your audience was in the Judaism section.
You have good topics...but I'm not encouraged to read on as if
your posts are only for 'the special few'.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Who's Heshem?

If I'm going to talk about dharma, amrita or satchitananda I define my words knowing that people don't know Eastern terms.
It's part of communicating...it would be diff if your audience was in the Judaism section.
It's "HaShem"[of G-d (Instead of pronouncing or writing His real Name.)], it means "The Name"...I put it here so that everyone can participate...It already worked...You have interacted...

Old 09-27-2017, 08:41 AM

39,014 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Judaism teaches that Hashem wished to do good, so He created beings that could appreciate it. - Why Did G-d Create the World?
So he could drown it, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Who's Heshem?

So you're tending towards Buddhism now?

Quote:
It's "HaShem"[of G-d (Instead of pronouncing or writing His real Name.)], it means "The Name"...I put it here so that everyone can participate...It already worked...You have interacted...
It's a funny thing... I never let it show, but I always feel slightly offended by this slightly finger-wagging admonihment about the restrictions, taboos, and Rules about writing the name of God. It's the thin end of the Blasphemy wedge, or perhaps a bit of irrelevant point -scoring, such as when some people insist of writing Jesus as 'Yeheshua", as if it made any difference. And I have to say that nobody has tried to put pressure on me to write "G*d" instead of "God", or add Swit or Pubh after writing Allah. I should lose no time in telling them to get thoroughly stuffed if they did .

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-27-2017 at 08:50 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 09:13 AM

16,256 posts, read 7,644,495 times
Well, Transponder, irrelevant point-scoring is Richard's game. Miss H innocently fell for it and he loves it.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I put it here so that everyone can participate...It already worked...You have interacted...
VERY CUTE!
Now, you and I could later interact on HaShem, YWHW, Yahweh, Jehovah...in a separate thread on
"What is the unspeakable, unpronounceable Name of God?" and how is it portrayed in other religions
as the Sat Naam (True Name), Shabd, or So-hung , Hungso, Sohum, Humso...and so on..maybe later?
Could just be you and me.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 09-27-2017 at 09:39 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
LOL...actually I don't exactly know what dharma means...but I do think it is Buddhist ...
so I said 'Eastern'.
Blissful Amrita, nectar of the Gods and Satchitanand are Hindi words coming from Sanskrit or the Vedas.
It is fun to define them.
PS I am a Sikh, semi- Buddhist, Christian, mystic, menopausal, ex-Hippie woman by definition....

Old 09-27-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
So he could drown it, apparently.

It's a funny thing... I never let it show, but I always feel slightly offended by this slightly finger-wagging admonihment about the restrictions, taboos, and Rules about writing the name of God. It's the thin end of the Blasphemy wedge, or perhaps a bit of irrelevant point -scoring, such as when some people insist of writing Jesus as 'Yeheshua", as if it made any difference. And I have to say that nobody has tried to put pressure on me to write "G*d" instead of "God", or add Swit or Pubh after writing Allah. I should lose no time in telling them to get thoroughly stuffed if they did .
You write it however you wish...

Old 09-27-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, Transponder, irrelevant point-scoring is Richard's game. Miss H innocently fell for it and he loves it.
You certainly have your agenda...

Old 09-27-2017, 10:04 AM

5,931 posts, read 1,696,500 times
Quote:
Interesting. Not a verse of Scripture quoted. How does anyone know what God wants if you don't look to his Word?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality