Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 09:32 AM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCountyMtnBiker View Post
What religion do you identify with, if you do?

you don't need to answer if you don't wish to. No problem
I'm a Mormon. Look right under my screen name. (Sorry, there isn't an emoji with horns. )

Old 10-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh, well, since this isn't about organized religions...btw, couldn't give you another rep, Katzpur for your thoughtful op.

Your/my religion or belief system 'should' encourage me to know God personally.
Should inspire me to practice the Divine Presence.
It 'should' make me aware that my focus should be on realization of Truth or Reality, because once known all else falls into place naturally as was pointed out--
seeking the Kingdom of God all else is given;
That being kindness, wisdom, clarity, food/shelter, freedom, joy, strength, success on every level...
you get the picture...
Sorry, I can't rep you yet, either, Miss Hepburn. But I did like your response.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Moderator cut: Quoted post has been deleted.
No, it's not. This is not a former poster. This is just some misguided fundamentalist Christian who doesn't know what she's talking about. I'm going to just pretend I didn't read her malicious post, but if she knows what's good for her, she won't keep it up.

Now, please can we get back to the subject of my OP.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-03-2017 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I think Katzpur is genuine.
I believe BaptistFundie was referring to you and not to me, Sierra.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:04 PM

271 posts, read 190,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I believe BaptistFundie was referring to you and not to me, Sierra.
Ok thanks

Old 10-03-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
You sound as if you are scolding me for telling the you truth.
You didn't tell the truth. You told a pack of lies, and the next time you try it, you will be reported.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:17 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Offhand I don't know much about organized religions as I've stated.
But am a little familiar with Mormonism due to a few brief conversations with co-workers
Yeah a few brief conversations should make you an expert. Such that you can confidently dehumanize them without further preamble.

I don't like Mormonism myself (likely for quite different reasons than you) and shoo'd away some of their salesmen from my door just the other night. But Katzpur is a fine human being and I am able to separate decent human beings from their beliefs whether I agree with those beliefs or not.

Can you?

Old 10-03-2017, 12:50 PM

271 posts, read 190,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yeah a few brief conversations should make you an expert. Such that you can confidently dehumanize them without further preamble.

I don't like Mormonism myself (likely for quite different reasons than you) and shoo'd away some of their salesmen from my door just the other night. But Katzpur is a fine human being and I am able to separate decent human beings from their beliefs whether I agree with those beliefs or not.

Can you?
Of course. Hence why not promoting anything you've listed above probably isn't good for this forum. Just some advice from me to you.

As a Christian though, I remain a Christ follower even as a member of this forum. Scripture doesn't allow me to discard it to post on a message board. I've done a ton of things i have no right to do. Hence why I am not good. I've been horrible to people at times so would never consider relying on myself for the definition of good. The definition will surely change per whatever my feelings are at the moment.

Hence why my religion aka my Creator, is not obligated to do anything for me.

I am not God nor will ever be anything close to it. That was Adam and Eves sin we are all paying for. In eating the fruit, hearing from Satan they will be "like God knowing good and evil" if they took a bite of it. "Take a bite" he said

From then on out, people want to BE GOD. Or little Gods.

My religion doesn't owe me anything whether it be non-denominational, baptist, mormonism, church of scientology etc... to get back on topic. I don't know what religion I will be when we move...appears non-denom but if that doesn't work out, I am not totally against organized religion.

My Creator makes promises to me....but doesn't "owe me" anything.

Isaiah 64:6 is explicit our good works are like filthy rags, at least until our Creator came down and died for those who belong to him. Then we are seen in his eyes as pure. He Shed blood for the remission of our sins (because we are not god, and never will be god or little gods). That is when we turn from our filthy rags to being seen as Pure in our Creators eyes. The old testament law was fulfilled by his death and ressurection and now written on our hearts to follow (with his leading via the holy spirit) instead of folllowing legalistic rules and rituals. Which we could never do hence the OT sacrifices. Now we have one sacrifice which fulfilled what WE OWED our Creator. So to think he owes us, or any organized religion owes us, is the exact opposite of the gospel

Old 10-03-2017, 12:56 PM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Let me suggest that our newer members be sure to read the Sticky thread at the top of the Religion & Spirituality forum. There are specific forum posting rules there.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:01 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
My Creator makes promises to me....but doesn't "owe me" anything.
Inherently a promise obligates the promisor to keep their promise. Your statement is a non-sequitur.

Most of the rest of your post is proselytizing / preaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.