Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 08:18 PM

108 posts, read 494,429 times

Advertisements

Let's start by saying I'm a Christian. My father is a pastor. I have kids and I'm looking for lessons like a lot of parents. I was surprised to find names like Cheering for Him, Martial arts for Christ, swimming for The Lord, etc. (These are not the actual names of any businesses) I somewhat reluctantly enrolled one of my kids in a class of this kind "for Jesus" I liked the people but then I started getting the emails. The emails said things like "if you don't want your child exposed to non-Christian religions.'.... and protecting your child from non-Christians'. I was shocked and disgusted. Needless to say we haven't attended a lesson at that establishment.
My best friend growing up was a Jew. We both celebrated our differeneces. The places we worshipped welcomed and loved both of us. Her synagouge and my church provided child care services for each other during varios religioius celebrations. It was beautiful. That's how it should be.
In fact, while searching for a pre-school for my eldest child I had concerns about where to go. I contacted a Jewish school where I knew wonderful parents and kids and was told that my child, a Christian, and the grandchild of a Christian minister was welcome.
How dissapointing to learn that in many settings children are being taught to only embrace their own religion rather than to accept and love children from other religions.
Okay, this is getting too long. But this trend gives me the creeps. How do the rest of you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 08:30 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
First let me say I was raised a Seventh Day Adventist, my Father was a minister, retired by the time I was born. I attended private schools until I was in my 20s.
I now consider myself an atheist.

If any other religion had business names like that, they would be considered fanatics. I personally consider the people you mention bleary eyed fanatics.

I used to live in Texas where there was a church on every corner. I don't miss that at all.
However even here, I have noticed attempts made on the part of my daughters friends and their parents to teach her to dislike people based on their sexual orientation, their religion or their race. All people calling themselves christian.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:46 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Another child of a minister here, and I find this terribly disturbing. Attitudes like this are what keep me out of organized religion altogether.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
This is why this atheist is fearful of christians and the damage they do to society.
It is necessary to be ever more vigilant in enforcing the separation of church and state.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
Yet another daughter (and granddaughter) of a minister who finds this disturbing.

How exactly does one "swim for Christ", anyway? If I remember correctly, Jesus seemed pretty adept at crossing bodies of water on his own.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:09 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
LOL that's funny Mrs Steel

But you're all right of course, I agree with you 100%. That's why so much racism and discrimination is alive and well. Actually it's getting worse. It's dispicable.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:14 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,188 times
I agree with you. My church has a church school and one of the things that is so great about it is that they welcome anyone to attend the school. We have over 70 different denominations/religions represented. It is also the most racially diverse school in the area. I think it is crucial to teach our children that we can accept people regardless of their background. I know Jesus did, so why should we hold people to a different standard?

Old 03-17-2008, 01:29 PM

265 posts, read 615,423 times
Default it's too bad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by north_raleigh_spa_mom View Post
Let's start by saying I'm a Christian. My father is a pastor. I have kids and I'm looking for lessons like a lot of parents. I was surprised to find names like Cheering for Him, Martial arts for Christ, swimming for The Lord, etc. (These are not the actual names of any businesses) I somewhat reluctantly enrolled one of my kids in a class of this kind "for Jesus" I liked the people but then I started getting the emails. The emails said things like "if you don't want your child exposed to non-Christian religions.'.... and protecting your child from non-Christians'. I was shocked and disgusted. Needless to say we haven't attended a lesson at that establishment.
My best friend growing up was a Jew. We both celebrated our differeneces. The places we worshipped welcomed and loved both of us. Her synagouge and my church provided child care services for each other during varios religioius celebrations. It was beautiful. That's how it should be.
In fact, while searching for a pre-school for my eldest child I had concerns about where to go. I contacted a Jewish school where I knew wonderful parents and kids and was told that my child, a Christian, and the grandchild of a Christian minister was welcome.
How dissapointing to learn that in many settings children are being taught to only embrace their own religion rather than to accept and love children from other religions.
Okay, this is getting too long. But this trend gives me the creeps. How do the rest of you feel?

it's too bad that some christians think that sand-blasting the world with Jesus will make God great, bring God glory, and give them victory. christians don't need to be in a sinless world, but instead just be a light in this world. if some christians need that much seperation, then let them pray for death. a trip to heaven would solve the real MIX UP, even if some of them don't make it in.

yep......, that's right, I'm christian to.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:46 PM

108 posts, read 494,429 times
Is there a problem w/ the message?

Old 03-17-2008, 02:07 PM

265 posts, read 615,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north_raleigh_spa_mom View Post
Is there a problem w/ the message?

there's something wrong with wanting to isolate your child, or be in total isolation exposed only to christian's just because the person is christian. why are christians even in this world at all if all they want is to be in a place where no one unlike them in faith is. isn't that what heaven is about, and not earth. heaven is for all those who love, and reverance God in all they do which includes being a witness on this earth, which is something you can't do if everyone you are around is already of the same faith. who will you show love to? your friends. that's no real test in service of your faith. I just know christian's alto be where people of all walks are lest we cheat the world of what we have to offer that is good. that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality