Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 10:17 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,574,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Do you realize what you said in the first paragraph -- essentially that you don't think. Man oh man.

No, Buddhism is not a "feeling". Buddhism says that people suffer. How can we as independent thinking people lessen or eliminate that suffering. And we have basic rules (called precepts) that parallel, but are deeper than the Ten Commandments. If you follow those Precepts, and are mindful in what you do, you can reduce or eliminate much suffering of your own, as well as suffering you cause others to endure.

Perhaps there is something to Christianity after all. Your husband must be saint to tolerate the kind of preaching you do here.

Buddha is not "a little fat guy". That is a legendary monk, not Buddha. How insulting.
I'm an atheist, but I think I 'get' Buddhism. It comports with my spirituality (yes, atheists can be spiritual) in many ways. I see us as part of the whole, and the whole is part of us. We are part of nature, and nature is part of us. We are part of this earth, and it is part of us. And so on. Without the elements that exist in this universe, without the sun to warm us, and help feed us, without the plants and animals to nourish us, we would not be.

We are part of the whole; the whole is part of us. No supernatural entities required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 10:32 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Her reply was edited to eliminate this point as you had already answered it.
ty

Old 10-14-2017, 10:33 PM

439 posts, read 344,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Good post. Also brings to mind the Good Samaritan story.

Them as talks holy ain't worth spit compared to one who does holy.
I think I found your girlfriend Billy
We watch all the Billy videos though most aren't clean enough for me to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQV3...pPlW61AiTsDQaZ

Old 10-14-2017, 10:45 PM

439 posts, read 344,083 times
Quote:
Do you realize what you said in the first paragraph -- essentially that you don't think. Man oh man.

No, Buddhism is not a "feeling". Buddhism says that people suffer. How can we as independent thinking people lessen or eliminate that suffering. And we have basic rules (called precepts) that parallel, but are deeper than the Ten Commandments. If you follow those Precepts, and are mindful in what you do, you can reduce or eliminate much suffering of your own, as well as suffering you cause others to endure.

Perhaps there is something to Christianity after all. Your husband must be saint to tolerate the kind of preaching you do here.

Buddha is not "a little fat guy". That is a legendary monk, not Buddha. How insulting.
Well this sounds more like you are viewing it as a religion. Lighten up will ya
I could care less what people call Jesus. A long haired hippy, little fat guy or whatever. I don't take it personal. I may post a verse to
oppose it but no worries

My husband is not a Saint. FTR, A Sinner turns into a Saint at Salvation. He is a great guy though. By the way, he goes to church more often than I do. Even when I miss, he attends. So not everyone is offended by Christianity and/or scripture verses.

Just like not everyone here will be offended when you post Buddhist verses. Even if you perceive such.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:52 PM

50,466 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I'm an atheist, but I think I 'get' Buddhism. It comports with my spirituality (yes, atheists can be spiritual) in many ways. I see us as part of the whole, and the whole is part of us. We are part of nature, and nature is part of us. We are part of this earth, and it is part of us. And so on. Without the elements that exist in this universe, without the sun to warm us, and help feed us, without the plants and animals to nourish us, we would not be.

We are part of the whole; the whole is part of us. No supernatural entities required.
Yes, I fully believe that people who do not believe in God can still be spiritual. I'll tell you where I think there's a fork in the road (so to speak). Those who are fundamentalists basically think they (or at least their religion or Bible) already have all the answers, which, of course, is ridiculous. Those who are not religious, but are spiritual, want to learn and be open to experiences.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:42 PM

63,566 posts, read 39,855,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You stopped too short in John 1, Jeaniee which is why you think the Word is the Bible. It is NOT! Jesus the Christ IS the Word, period.

John 1:14-17King James Version (KJV)

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

As nate and I and so many others keep pointing our the Bible only CONTAINS inspirations from God that tell us ABOUT the Word - Jesus the Christ. Jesus revealed the true nature of God by His life and death and in detailed descriptions in 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5 and the Sermon on the Mount. If you want to know what is truly from God and Jesus you test the spirit of everything in the Bible against those descriptions of the Holy Spirit of God revealed and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus. Anything that is NOT compatible with those descriptions is NOT from God or Jesus.

John 5:37-40 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

37 `And the Father who sent me Himself hath testified concerning me; ye have neither heard His voice at any time, nor His appearance have ye seen;
38 and His word ye have not remaining in you, because whom He sent, Him ye do not believe.
39 `Ye search the Writings, because ye think in them to have life age-during, and these are they that are testifying concerning Me;
40 and ye do not will to come unto Me, that ye may have life;

You search the writings (the Bible) thinking they are the Word of God when they just tell us ABOUT the Word of God - Jesus the Christ and you do not use His descriptions of the Holy Spirit of Agape (Who IS God) to know what is and what is NOT from God and Jesus in the writings. The Comforter, the Holy Spirit, is to be our guide NOT the words "written ink" in the Bible. Those words must be tested against the Comforter.

John 14:26 King James Version (KJV)

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16:7 King James Version (KJV)

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send Him unto you.

John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

When you use the whole Bible as if it is the Word of God instead of Jesus, you are incorporating the OT which is under a veil of ignorance (blind minds). The whole Bible is NOT the Word of God, Jesus IS and you must test everything in there against the "mind of Christ" in the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts."

2 Corinthians 3:14-17

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
Jesus Christ IS GOD. GOD in the flesh during his short time on earth. GOD IS SPIRIT comprised of 3 spirit entities. Otherwise the first 5 words of your verses here make no sense[b]

Actually Really read what you posted a few times. The first 5 words.
You spent all this time arguing about the first 5 words of my very long post and ignored the rest which is the important part. I have no problem with the first 5 words. I posted them because they are important. But I have a significant problem with your failing to read and respond to the rest of my post and its major point that our GUIDE is the Comforter - Holy Spirit - NOT the Bible which tells us about Jesus. Read the rest of my post and TRY to comprehend what it means.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:57 AM

18,926 posts, read 6,927,349 times
Quote:
Jeaniee, you are derailing the thread. The thread is not for quoting scripture, which many participants don't even believe in.
To be fair, you, as well as others, have shown no interest in actually responding to the OP.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"In the Beginning was the Bible and the Bible was with God and the Bible was God...."

or not.
Careful, don't commit the illegitimate totality transfer fallacy. "word" has different meanings throughout Scripture.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Weird, there is no mention of Jesus in my Tanakh...Imagine that...You have the Old Testament, which is not the Tanakh...
Of course there is. He's all over the Tanakh.

And yes--my "Old Testament" contains the 24 books in the Tanakh.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:01 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,582,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
To be fair, you, as well as others, have shown no interest in actually responding to the OP.
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Weird....my "Christian Bible" has 66 books in it---39 of which are OT books. And every single one of them is about Jesus.
"

That's what you call sticking to the topic, is it?

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-15-2017 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote (removed italics)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality