Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 06:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I just sit here and wonder why a member of a religion that has been decided NON-Christian as long as it's existed.....would want to identify as a Christian?

We have people posting here from several different groups that have historically self-identified as being different from the rest of the Christian mainstream, even claiming to be the only representatives of Christianity on Earth....yet here they are saying they're just ordinary Christians. Why?

Why deny major facets of the faith, and still believe you are one of us? Why is it so important to you?
It could be that they believe in some sort of Christ. Could be that they identify themselves with early Christians and believe all the modern denotations are merely corruptions caused by Satan's military influence giving the upper hand to Trinitarians. Etc.

Christian is a pompous, pseudo-humble, label that variously applies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 06:29 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Seems to me that anyone who believes Jesus lived and that person makes it an effort to follow the teaching of Jesus then he has the right to "identify" himself a Christian, if he chooses.

Some of us choose to identify as simply "Believer", which in my case, pretty much strips all the pomp and circumstance, and legalities of "my church" away and makes plenty of room for daily growth in following the teachings of Jesus.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:44 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Seems to me that anyone who believes Jesus lived and that person makes it an effort to follow the teaching of Jesus then he has the right to "identify" himself a Christian, if he chooses.

Some of us choose to identify as simply "Believer", which in my case, pretty much strips all the pomp and circumstance, and legalities of "my church" away and makes plenty of room for daily growth in following the teachings of Jesus.

Again...if that person belonged to a group that explicitly stated that they were NOT Christians...why would that person WANT to? That's what I'm asking here. That's what I'm curious about.

Appreciate your input, but it's a bit off-topic.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Even though my hometown is Palmyra, NY, I'm not a Mormon. But here's my guess. If Christ walked into this forum today, I think he would welcome Mormons and minister to them just as he would welcome and minister to Baptist fundamentalists.
I haven't said otherwise, have I?

Old 10-05-2017, 07:46 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
When we say ours is the "only true church," we aren't saying all other churches are comprised of people who were "tricked by Satan," or that their members are all going to be either condemned to Hell for eternity or else annihilated entirely. That is the furthest thing from the truth imaginable. We have what could essentially be described as a universal reconciliationist theology, and we don't believe that anyone's ultimate destination is cast in concrete at the time of death.
Well Universal Reconciliation (UR) would allow you to simultaneously claim to be the "only true church" while at the same time not damning all others to hell.

Most Christians would not get this distinction because UR is a minority view in most of Christendom, although it wouldn't surprise me to find that it is gradually gaining some traction in recent generations.

My guess is that rather than making unambiguous-seeming statements like "we are the only true church" a greater emphasis on the notion of "we have the truth, and you'll all see that sooner or later" would get this across. Just a thought. It would certainly differentiate you from what most churches do, and what your church SEEMS to do, which is to claim that disbelief is a sin and if you die in that sin you are eternally separated from god.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:52 AM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Again...if that person belonged to a group that explicitly stated that they were NOT Christians...why would that person WANT to? That's what I'm asking here. That's what I'm curious about.

What group specifically states they are not Christians and then the members go on to say they are? Don't say JW because they do believe in Jesus and the Bible. If you are talking about groups such as the JWs then I would be happy to explain it further to you if you want.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:22 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
I just sit here and wonder why a member of a religion that has been decided NON-Christian as long as it's existed.....would want to identify as a Christian?

We have people posting here from several different groups that have historically self-identified as being different from the rest of the Christian mainstream, even claiming to be the only representatives of Christianity on Earth....yet here they are saying they're just ordinary Christians. Why?

Why deny major facets of the faith, and still believe you are one of us? Why is it so important to you?
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What group specifically states they are not Christians and then the members go on to say they are? Don't say JW because they do believe in Jesus and the Bible. If you are talking about groups such as the JWs then I would be happy to explain it further to you if you want.
Was wondering the same thing. OP indicates that the question was decided FOR them by self-professed Christians rather than that they so declared themselves and I'm wondering why the shift.

I know of some people who wish to divorce themselves from Historical :"Christianity" with all its horrors such as the crusades and religious wars and persecution, and I understand that, so if they are qualifying their commitmernt to what they believe to be what Jesus taught in that way, then the question seems to be badly worded and should read more like "Why would a person who divorces himself from historical Christianity claim to be a follower of Christ?" and that one is easily answered.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:27 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:

What group "explicitly states" they are NOT Christians and yet wish to be considered such?

It makes no sense.

ETA: I see I'm echoing L8.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:38 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well Universal Reconciliation (UR) would allow you to simultaneously claim to be the "only true church" while at the same time not damning all others to hell.

Most Christians would not get this distinction because UR is a minority view in most of Christendom, although it wouldn't surprise me to find that it is gradually gaining some traction in recent generations.

My guess is that rather than making unambiguous-seeming statements like "we are the only true church" a greater emphasis on the notion of "we have the truth, and you'll all see that sooner or later" would get this across. Just a thought. It would certainly differentiate you from what most churches do, and what your church SEEMS to do, which is to claim that disbelief is a sin and if you die in that sin you are eternally separated from god.
It appears you have understood our position perfectly.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:48 AM

11,236 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
What group "explicitly states" they are NOT Christians and yet wish to be considered such?

It makes no sense.

ETA: I see I'm echoing L8.
I'm thinking the OP is referring to religions that have their own Holy book or have their own translation of the Bible that only they use. The two obvious examples have already been mentioned earlier in the thread.

The term "Christian" is broad on this forum. The OP obviously believes the term has been watered down. I get what the OP is trying to say, but the truth of the matter is if they don't like the TOS here there are plenty of other hard line forums for Christians out there. The CD religion forum is not a good place for baby "Christians". It is a lions den that is only one notch above the P&OC forum (and even that is debatable). I would not recommend this forum for anyone that is seriously looking to improve their relationship with Christ. If that bothers anyone they are free to go elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality