Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 02:59 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,301,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
I just hope that people do have a Plan B just in case death isn't the end. I wouldn't like to see gloomy and downcast faces when they find out to their horror that they were so wrong about death being the end of them.
Do you have a Plan B in case there is an afterlife but it's run by a different God than the one you believed in? Pascal Wager. Much better than not living this life with some enjoyment and then dying and nothing happens but being dead. If there is an afterlife I hope my dogs and cats are waiting there for me. Would being buried with some catnip and Breath Busters be a good Plan B?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 03:41 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,027,807 times
Quote:
I just hope that people do have a Plan B just in case death isn't the end. I wouldn't like to see gloomy and downcast faces when they find out to their horror that they were so wrong about death being the end of them.
I'm not sure why a person who believes death is a finality would be horrified to find out that it isn't.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 PM

19,823 posts, read 13,361,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I'm not sure why a person who believes death is a finality would be horrified to find out that it isn't.
Fundamentalism lives in terror of being wrong, and can't imagine anything but shame in it.

If I find, after my death, that there's some sort of afterlife, I'll do what I do in this life, I'll deal with it. I don't at all expect that to be the case, but one thing I can guarantee, if there's an afterlife there's no reason to think it's going to meet the expectations of believers, either.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:16 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,231,599 times
Quote:
It is my understanding that soul is taken out of body when we sleep and returns when we wake up, or never returns and we die in sleep.
Hi Khalif,

How did you come to this understanding? If you have never learned how to Lucid Dream I highly recommend it. Your understanding will certainly change if you can accomplish full blown Lucid Dreaming.
Quote:
I believe it was my soul and my father's soul that had met in a future setting, at a place in a country I had never visited before, seen before or seen a picture of the place before. In fact, the place I had seen in my dream was on top of a bridge that was built well after my dream. It couldn't have been a coincidence.
I also have some very interesting dreams...all of my life in fact. I have been to 1000's of places I have never seen in my life, I have met people I have never seen in my life. I have even had a few dreams come true!

Dreams are deeply interesting to me but I don't think it's the soul leaving the body...could it be our consciousness existing in a different space-time then we are?

Old 10-23-2017, 11:41 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,582,380 times
Quote:
I'm guessing I would need a plan B for each of the huge amount of gods throughout history. I might need some sort of after death catalogue system to make sure I get the right plan B, for the real God.

Last edited by Joe90; 10-23-2017 at 11:51 PM..

Old 10-23-2017, 11:43 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,821,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Do you have a Plan B in case there is an afterlife but it's run by a different God than the one you believed in?
Spot on old horse!

Old 10-24-2017, 04:57 AM

3,640 posts, read 27,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Hi Khalif,

How did you come to this understanding? If you have never learned how to Lucid Dream I highly recommend it. Your understanding will certainly change if you can accomplish full blown Lucid Dreaming.
Dreaming during the time one is fast asleep is different from daydreaming.
Quote:
I also have some very interesting dreams...all of my life in fact. I have been to 1000's of places I have never seen in my life, I have met people I have never seen in my life. I have even had a few dreams come true!
"A few come true" are the interesting ones.

Quote:
Dreams are deeply interesting to me but I don't think it's the soul leaving the body...could it be our consciousness existing in a different space-time then we are?
How do you differentiate "soul" and "consciousness" in order to reach this conclusion?

Old 10-24-2017, 07:10 AM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If a persons consciousness is still active after the body dies, maybe its possible people sort of create their own afterlives, Im sure we all have our own mental theories on what the after life is like, what it looks and feels like...maybe that is strong enough to actually make it come to fruition?

What truly scares me is some of the numerous NDEs I have read where some people claim they end up in a black void, with nothing but their own conscious mind, they say it feels like laying in a room that is completely black, and not being able to move or speak, its just basically your mind existing in a black void...this would be my worst fear, I would panic instantly, but not a thing I could do about it, and knowing that is how its going to be forever..geez, I hate thinking about this.
There's the rub. Belief in "life after death" is not always beneficial. Humans seem to have this desire to "live forever after death" but upon closer inspection it wouldn't necessarily be so great. An afterlife could just as easily be "your worst nightmare" as opposed to heavenly bliss or 72 virgins. As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:20 AM

50,466 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There's the rub. Belief in "life after death" is not always beneficial. Humans seem to have this desire to "live forever after death" but upon closer inspection it wouldn't necessarily be so great. An afterlife could just as easily be "your worst nightmare" as opposed to heavenly bliss or 72 virgins. As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for.
There was a cartoon about the Muslim belief that martyrs spend paradise with virgins...and those virgins turn out to be old Catholic nuns who treat them as children in a Catholic school. Rap those fingers with a ruler!

Old 10-24-2017, 07:27 AM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There was a cartoon about the Muslim belief that martyrs spend paradise with virgins...and those virgins turn out to be old Catholic nuns who treat them as children in a Catholic school. Rap those fingers with a ruler!

I think Family Guy had a similar theme where the virgins were a bunch of stereotypical "computer geeks" writing code and playing World of Warcraft or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality