Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:49 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,492,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
You may be mostly accurate, but also foolish to not use the same sub-group for both groups. You could take every poster of every position (religion/politics/whatever) and they'd assume "of course we're not annoying because we're right." Conversely, the "other side" always seems annoying because "they are wrong but somehow think they are right." Endless cycles of fun and annoyance!
True enough. The pains in the ass (to the ones on the other side of belief) are ..how shall I say it - the ones who don't just believe or not as they like, but want to spread the word. Militant atheists (I'm one) do just that. I don't claim that we are not annoying just because we're right, I just claim that we (on logic and evidence) are right. And that is why of course we should govern the world, promulgate laws, revise art and literature to remove all religious references and dictate whom you can sleep with. It isn't a lot to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 02:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,476,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
In my opinion that seems like a laid back approach to ones eternal destiny. But a dangerous one on a personal level for obvious reason. I suppose it really is just a type of atheism. It don’t matter cuz there is no God or life after death. But what if one is wrong? That is a scary proposition.

Oh I don’t care if I cease to exist, go to hell or heaven, whatever.
its only scary when we think what we know is all anybody needs to know. You don't care because you might just not care. I don't care because human life after death means we have to deny a lot of what we do know.

I don't care to do that.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I should think there are doesn't of options for various groups, especially if different names are used for what seems to be the same belief.

It's quite an amusing exercise, hearing a description of what a person's beliefs (regarding the God -claim) are and then (assuming one can make sense of them) trying to find an appropriate label to fit it. Or as you suggest, inventing anouyther label, where none of the others seem to fit.

For me it is just a mental exercise. For me there are only two groups; believers asn non believers, and of the former, two sub groups, those who are a pain in the ass and those who are not.
Like I have been telling you. Black/white, all or nothing, and right/wrong types fit into personality categories. I lump them in milli/fundy mental. Its a shame when some smart chimps can write well and even more of a bummer that we have so many adult child of abuse that mill/fubdy mentals think types resonate with and propagate an unhealthy meme.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
True enough. The pains in the ass (to the ones on the other side of belief) are ..how shall I say it - the ones who don't just believe or not as they like, but want to spread the word. Militant atheists (I'm one) do just that. I don't claim that we are not annoying just because we're right, I just claim that we (on logic and evidence) are right. And that is why of course we should govern the world, promulgate laws, revise art and literature to remove all religious references and dictate whom you can sleep with. It isn't a lot to ask.
you do make this easy for me with post like this.

I know, you don't see it.
Its a view thing.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:28 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,614,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So if we categories ourselves in groups, there seem to be primarily four categories (that then, may have various sub-classes)

1 - Atheists
2 - Agnostics
3 - Spiritual (I don't know exactly what it means?)
4 - Believers

Is there anything else besides this?
If lesbian/gay can turn in LGBTQIAPK and Facebook allows users to choose form 58 types of gender (http://www.city-data.com/forum/46208036-post15.html), you can bet that someone will think of at least a fifth option

Last edited by BlakeJones; 10-20-2017 at 03:24 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If lesbian/gay can turn in LGBTQIAPK and Facebook allows users ot choose form 58 types of gender (http://www.city-data.com/forum/46208036-post15.html), you can bet that someone will think of at least a fifth option
and this is part of the problem. its one of the reasons trump won. getting regular/basic rights for people and then "activists" taking it to this extreme is a huge indicator of how far we have fallen.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:15 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,492,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
you do make this easy for me with post like this.

I know, you don't see it.
Its a view thing.
No, it's an evidence thing. The states I mentioned changed almost overnight, leaving the same party still in power.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:27 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,354,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So if we categories ourselves in groups, there seem to be primarily four categories (that then, may have various sub-classes)

1 - Atheists
2 - Agnostics
3 - Spiritual (I don't know exactly what it means?)
4 - Believers

Is there anything else besides this?
1 - Atheists "know" there is no god/other religious belief. An irrational mindset because it involves something impossible. That is, it is possible to believe, you just need one religious experience. However, it is not possible to defend the position that somethinhg does not exist. I'll explain. Suppose you were to make a claim that unicorns do not exist. However, in the far reaches of the galaxy or another dimension there may in fact be unicorns. In fact it is a theory that things that writers come up with are actually part of another doimension that the writer sees. The point is, in order to definitely prove that there is no God, you wouldhave to be omnipresent like God. Because you are not that, you cannot disprove God, and if you could do that, you would be God, making the point moot.
2 - Agnostics don't know. This is fine. Better to assert you don't know, than make a dumbass claim that is obvious fallacy.
4 -Believers follow a specific religion. The evidence of their life points to some specific truth. They worship and follow the path. This isdifferent from...
3 - Spiritual, who believe that organized religion is garbage, and strongly advocate seeking after one's own path or one's own truth.

Finally, there is
5 - Pantheist - Pantheism is largely the domain of former atheists, who whether they claim to be pantheists or atheists, would assert if pressed there is no god/God is impersonal... because everything in the universe is made of God stuff. The universe itself is God.
6 - Panentheist - The difference both the two is the former means "all god" meaning it is pointless to believe in or worship God because there is no centralizefd God, while the latter means "God in all" and tends to believe in both a personal God and a sort of hive mind with the universe. Panentheists tend to be from a religious background, but moved beyond the idea of one god out there towards the whole God being in everything deal.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:48 AM

describe how the universe works.

then some people call you names.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:55 PM

19,750 posts, read 13,283,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Thank you for your kind post. I have a disinterested view on many subjects. As a musician pipe organs is of some interest, but I digress. The things that pertain to life are in a different category. How can not one care about ones eternal destiny? A hobby is one thing, life is quite another. Your point is well taken (I hate this formal crap! Yea you’re right!) I just don’t get it why some don’t care about their eternal destiny.
Because the notion that humans are immortal is an assertion without evidence and people who don't and never have believed it don't see the point. It is hard for some god-believers to credit the notion that some people really DON'T believe in an afterlife and are totally unconcerned about it and find the very notion of contemplating the unsubstantiatable to be a total waste of time.

But it's true. They exist.

Now of course ... people ARE aware of their mortality and many are greedy for more than the standard-issue "three score and ten" years, and so will listen to most any proposal to extend or circumvent that limit. But there's another category of people you may also not credit: those who have faced and fully accepted the fact of their mortality and its implications, and are at complete peace with it. Who find oblivion a comfort. Who have no need to be remembered or memorialized or recognized beyond the grave.

These also exist. I am one of them in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality