U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2019, 10:14 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,124 posts, read 218,575 times
Reputation: 453

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
And didn't you just answer the question at the same time. Bravo!
I did.

I’m pretty certain arguing (or even contemplating) religion is not why we exist; but rather, making the best of what is here (and learning all we can).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-13-2019 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2019, 03:56 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,760 posts, read 691,958 times
Reputation: 596
Is none existence even an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 08:04 AM
 
37,031 posts, read 9,976,105 times
Reputation: 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The important question for me isnít why we exist - but rather to embrace the here and now (and make the most of our lives) before we donít.

Agreed. That's the important practical question - or one might say, practical answer.

The various 'cosmic origin' questions are very interesting - maybe even important. But academic. The bottom like is 'nobody knows - yet' and so 'cosmic origins' is pretty irrelevant to the whole religious discussion.

But it is a good question - a very good one - and we (atheists) keep a close eye on what the Physicists and cosmologists are coming up with, because they are the only ones trying to find the answer. God -believers think that they know it and their argument is trying to force unbelievers to accept it as the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
14,329 posts, read 11,531,465 times
Reputation: 15809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Is non- existence even an option?
Well, didn't you open up an existential Pandora's box! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
14,329 posts, read 11,531,465 times
Reputation: 15809
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
God -believers think that they know it and their argument is trying to force unbelievers to accept it as the answer.
HEY, hold on there...your on a forum where many of us could care less about you guys and what you believe!
I, for one, am too self absorbed to notice much about you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Germany
3,760 posts, read 691,958 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, didn't you open up an existential Pandora's box! LOL
Will we Greeks (cultural or not) never learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 08:47 AM
 
37,031 posts, read 9,976,105 times
Reputation: 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
HEY, hold on there...your on a forum where many of us could care less about you guys and what you believe!
I, for one, am too self absorbed to notice much about you guys!
I know. Sorry - Because you non religious theists are so not -an-issue for atheists we tend to to forget to include you out.

It is of course the Religious that are the main basis of debate. But also these self -styled "Agnostics" who don't do religion and ought by rights to be with the "Nones" and the brethren and sistren of the atheists (as i regard your lot - provided as you say, that you couldn't care less about atheists, which suits us fine) but so often are not because of a God -belief that is very Personal but has no support other than Cosmic Origins and so they can get very heated indeed when their One argument is demolished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 10:37 PM
 
8,871 posts, read 2,208,483 times
Reputation: 6101
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God came into existence in His greatness and created man to worship Him
An all powerful God like this would not require worship imo though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
14,329 posts, read 11,531,465 times
Reputation: 15809
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
An all powerful God like this would not require worship imo though.
Well, I certainly agree with that, rs...as I usually do with you, ha..
If that sentence were tweeked a bit...as in, God was lonely being the Only One...and created us and
everything else for fun and also to be loved by equals, (people forget the immense power we have!)...cuz who doesn't like to be loved ...I would go along with that, but to require worship...naw.

Worship is a natural by-product of when you exp the Divine, period. Then someone turned that into a religion with ceremonies, rituals, incense, chanting...then dogmas and doctrines....rules for excommunications... rules for all sorts of things...boy, could I get into the Roman Catholic rules!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 PM
 
8,871 posts, read 2,208,483 times
Reputation: 6101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, I certainly agree with that, rs...as I usually do with you, ha..
If that sentence were tweeked a bit...as in, God was lonely being the Only One...and created us and
everything else for fun and also to be loved by equals, (people forget the immense power we have!)...cuz who doesn't like to be loved ...I would go along with that, but to require worship...naw.

Worship is a natural by-product of when you exp the Divine, period. Then someone turned that into a religion with ceremonies, rituals, incense, chanting...then dogmas and doctrines....rules for excommunications... rules for all sorts of things...boy, could I get into the Roman Catholic rules!!!
Well, yeah, God would not experience loneliness anyway, because that is a human emotion, God is unchanging for eternity, he doesnt have any human emotions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top