U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2017, 02:38 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
3,558 posts, read 2,760,482 times
Reputation: 5559

Advertisements

Relax and chill out. It's all ancestral archive simulation. No further inquiry is useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2017, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
17,731 posts, read 8,340,203 times
Reputation: 17368
We Buddhists generally get around the question by saying that since we don't know and probably cannot know, why worry about it.

That doesn't mean I don't contemplate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Status: "Annoy a liberal-work hard and be happy." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
14,823 posts, read 7,996,312 times
Reputation: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I ask this because someone said we don't know why.
But I bet many in this bunch have ideas...
If this has been asked before I am so sorry...I haven't seen a thread on it.
I sure isn't a new question!
According to the Bible, everything exists for God’s glory.

“Everyone who is called by My name, And whom I have created for My glory, Whom I have formed, even whom I have made." Isaiah 43:7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2017, 03:41 PM
 
4,445 posts, read 2,184,442 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I ask this because someone said we don't know why.
But I bet many in this bunch have ideas...
If this has been asked before I am so sorry...I haven't seen a thread on it.
I sure isn't a new question!
Why because God willed it.
God is Not just Creator but also 'Life Giver' (Father) so God loves life and gifts life: spirit life and material/physical life.
We exist for the praise of our Heavenly Father as our Life Giver - Ephesians 1:12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2017, 04:08 PM
 
5,026 posts, read 1,878,118 times
Reputation: 1843
Why the universe exists I do not know even as the how comes closer and closer to becoming understood. That life originated is purely for organic chemical reasons. That we feel important is for purely human centric reasons. With the number if potential life sustaining planets in our universe, life most likely exists elsewhere for the same biochemical reasons,

The why is the question that cannot be knowingly answered even if those of almost every religion will claim credit for their God for it. For the poster who said God made everything for his glory, what need did he have creating everything when the vast majority of the time no living thing had the capacity of even thinking about any sort of existence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2017, 06:31 PM
Status: "To see a world in a grain of sand..." (set 13 minutes ago)
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
11,828 posts, read 10,295,202 times
Reputation: 14609
Funny and some thoughtful posts...thank you so much!!!
Fascinating to me! I hope there are many more responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2017, 07:15 PM
 
6,217 posts, read 9,512,319 times
Reputation: 4593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Funny and some thoughtful posts...thank you so much!!!
Fascinating to me! I hope there are many more responses.
IMO, existence began as soon as the universe became aware of itself. We are the universe looking at itself. The animals and insects are also the universe looking at itself. Depending on the level of consciousness, things are created. Ants build hills, spiders build webs, humans build skyscrapers. Without the consciousness of a spider, the universe would not have webs. Take away humans, and the universe loses everything that we are capable of creating.

My point is that the sum of everything in the universe (throughout all times past/present/future) is "God". And since our consciousness only exists in the present and within ourselves; then in the present/ourselves is the only place we'll ever find "God".

So for me, the idea of "God" being here in the past, returning in the future, but never physically showing itself in the present is the greatest spiritual farce told to man.

Also, I tend to believe that time itself is created by an ever-expanding universe. Since the universe creates time itself, the universe (IMO) can't be measured by time. Time is an illusion that our consciousness sometimes gets fooled by. This explains why we sometimes have dreams about loved ones who have died; without actually knowing that they were in fact dead. It's amazing how the barriers and illusions of a physical world completely crumbles when our bodies sleep; and consciousness gets to roam freely.

Anyway, I do tend to accept things such as the big bang and a 14-15 billion year old universe; simply because I have no desire to debate such things. The reality to me is simple. I'm here, I'm awake, I exist. Existence is all I've ever known and it's all I ever will know; therefore I am an eternal being as far as my consciousness is concerned. The day before my consciousness began is the day I never saw; the day after my consciousness ends is the day I'll never see....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2017, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Divided Tribes of America
12,418 posts, read 4,673,472 times
Reputation: 4747
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Infinite regression is not your friend, but fortunately there are turtles. All the way down.
Dang, you stole my thunder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2017, 10:11 PM
Status: "To see a world in a grain of sand..." (set 13 minutes ago)
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
11,828 posts, read 10,295,202 times
Reputation: 14609
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
IMO, existence began as soon as the universe became aware of itself. We are the universe looking at itself. The animals and insects are also the universe looking at itself. Depending on the level of consciousness, things are created. Ants build hills, spiders build webs, humans build skyscrapers. Without the consciousness of a spider, the universe would not have webs. Take away humans, and the universe loses everything that we are capable of creating.

**My point is that the sum of everything in the universe (throughout all times past/present/future) is "God". And since our consciousness only exists in the present and within ourselves; then in the present/ourselves is the only place we'll ever find "God".** Excuse me, but

So for me, the idea of "God" being here in the past, returning in the future, but never physically showing itself in the present is the greatest spiritual farce told to man.

Also, I tend to believe that time itself is created by an ever-expanding universe. Since the universe creates time itself, the universe (IMO) can't be measured by time. Time is an illusion that our consciousness sometimes gets fooled by. This explains why we sometimes have dreams about loved ones who have died; without actually knowing that they were in fact dead. It's amazing how the barriers and illusions of a physical world completely crumbles when our bodies sleep; and consciousness gets to roam freely.

Anyway, I do tend to accept things such as the big bang and a 14-15 billion year old universe; simply because I have no desire to debate such things. The reality to me is simple. I'm here, I'm awake, I exist. Existence is all I've ever known and it's all I ever will know; therefore I am an eternal being as far as my consciousness is concerned.
The day before my consciousness began is the day I never saw; the day after my consciousness ends is the day I'll never see....

I bet you got high writing this...I did just reading it.
I'm honored you took the time to write all this out!
All I can say is wow and thank you.

I have read this 3xs for sheer enjoyment...that someone here understands just that time is an illusion is enough and that you know you are an eternal consciousness...that we are the universe looking at itself...that the sum of everything is God...and on and on.

I have 2 questions....I know all this; how do you know all this?
and what would you say as to 'why' there is all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,358,878 times
Reputation: 5993
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
IMO, existence began as soon as the universe became aware of itself. We are the universe looking at itself. The animals and insects are also the universe looking at itself.
I would then say that observation began when we began looking at the universe.

It is a composition fallacy to say that because there are conscious, self-aware beings in the universe, that the universe is self-aware. That's like saying that because the universe contains gasoline, it is combustible. Despite gasoline, you can't light a snowball on fire. Or ... it's like saying that because the universe contains non-living things, it's non-living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I
My point is that the sum of everything in the universe (throughout all times past/present/future) is "God".
I'm glad you put "god" in scare quotes there because "everything that exists" is not one of the definitions of god. We already have a perfectly serviceable word for that: universe.

Nor does ancientness or vastness = god.

What you're really saying is that god is supposed to be unspeakably powerful, vast, and ageless / ancient, and since there is no god (in the commonly accepted sense of a conscious agent involved in the creation and maintenance of the universe, typically with interest in and claims upon humans as the imagined apex of creation), the closest thing we have is the most vast, ancient and powerful catch-all, the universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I
And since our consciousness only exists in the present and within ourselves; then in the present/ourselves is the only place we'll ever find "God".
Agreed, given the scare quotes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I
So for me, the idea of "God" being here in the past, returning in the future, but never physically showing itself in the present is the greatest spiritual farce told to man.
Agreed. It is the ultimate game of cat-and-mouse, and a god that "hides" is the same as a god who is absent, or indifferent ... or non-existent. The kindest thing you can say about such a god is that it's irrelevant to our lives in the present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I
The reality to me is simple. I'm here, I'm awake, I exist. Existence is all I've ever known and it's all I ever will know; therefore I am an eternal being as far as my consciousness is concerned. The day before my consciousness began is the day I never saw; the day after my consciousness ends is the day I'll never see....
An extremely cogent executive summary. I don't usually join MissHepburn in doing happy dances, but in this case, I'll make an exception. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top