U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2017, 08:28 AM
 
21 posts, read 4,919 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Quantum fluctuations in 'empty' space meant that matter was created out of 'nothing'.


Or so I read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2017, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
11,253 posts, read 9,807,744 times
Reputation: 14348
So far so good...lots of 'opinions'. Thanks all.

mordie....aw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
2,793 posts, read 3,864,198 times
Reputation: 2794
Why does anything exist???? Maybe Descartes summed it up very well, "I think, therefore I am.", and with that "I am" comes a lot of creative thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
11,253 posts, read 9,807,744 times
Reputation: 14348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Why does anything exist???? Maybe Descartes summed it up very well, "I think, therefore I am.", and with that "I am" comes a lot of creative thinking.
Good input.
But, 'why'? It doesn't answer why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 08:56 PM
 
6,066 posts, read 9,270,499 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

I bet you got high writing this...I did just reading it.
I'm honored you took the time to write all this out!
All I can say is wow and thank you.

I have read this 3xs for sheer enjoyment...that someone here understands just that time is an illusion is enough and that you know you are an eternal consciousness...that we are the universe looking at itself...that the sum of everything is God...and on and on.

I have 2 questions....I know all this; how do you know all this?
and what would you say as to 'why' there is all this?
I try not to "know" things that I can't prove. As soon as we begin to know the unprovable, we often close off our sphere of awareness to new information. However, I do have a strong suspicion that the things I mentioned in my previous post are all true. Much of my insight has come from analyzing my lucid dreams.

The answer to the big WHY is anybody's guess. IMO, "why" is a term that applies to a finite concept. In order for there to be a why, there has to be a start, an action, and an ending point. So, before we can ask "why is there all of this" we'd first have to assume that at some point there was nothing. The problem with asking "why" is that we can't prove that there was a time when there was nothing. "Why" simply doesn't apply to things that infinitely exist.

With that said, let's suppose that I asked myself why am I here. My parents is the obvious answer to the presence of my physical being, but what about my conscious state of awareness (or "spirit" as some would say)? Let's flip that question around. Where is the proof that my conscious state of awareness did not exist before I was physically born here? If I existed before being born here, then that would open up the possibility that my own free will brought me here from a place where we all eternally exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Southern California
1,728 posts, read 1,637,173 times
Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Good input.
But, 'why'? It doesn't answer why?
Because God loves being creative... what else does He have to do all day and all night... but come up with the most phenomenal things!

Why are we here and what's the reason for our existence? Because God wanted a family. It's really not more complicated than that. And He obviously loves having a humongous family.

The fact that He adores each and everyone of His children is truly amazing, but then again, that's to be expected. He created us... because He loves being creative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 09:48 PM
 
Location: USA
2,239 posts, read 837,910 times
Reputation: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I ask this because someone said we don't know why.
But I bet many in this bunch have ideas...
If this has been asked before I am so sorry...I haven't seen a thread on it.
I sure isn't a new question!
We only have our senses to rely on, this is true. But if our senses are not reliable, we have to ask ourselves why any of our technology works at all? Because it does seem to work. As long as my air conditioner continues to convince me that I am cool in the summer, and my electric blanket continues to convince me that I am warm and toasty in the winter, I am going to remain a believer in my senses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 10:29 PM
 
35,756 posts, read 23,937,848 times
Reputation: 5701
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Because God loves being creative... what else does He have to do all day and all night... but come up with the most phenomenal things!
Why are we here and what's the reason for our existence? Because God wanted a family. It's really not more complicated than that. And He obviously loves having a humongous family.
The fact that He adores each and everyone of His children is truly amazing, but then again, that's to be expected. He created us... because He loves being creative.
Interesting. It strikes me that we, too, are very creative and spend an inordinate amount of our time focused on creative entertainment and activities in the form of stories, books, films, TV shows, news shows, talk shows, comedians, social media, inventions, innovation, technological development, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Upstate New York
11,736 posts, read 4,299,328 times
Reputation: 4369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

I bet you got high writing this...I did just reading it.
I'm honored you took the time to write all this out!
All I can say is wow and thank you.

I have read this 3xs for sheer enjoyment...that someone here understands just that time is an illusion is enough and that you know you are an eternal consciousness...that we are the universe looking at itself...that the sum of everything is God...and on and on.

I have 2 questions....I know all this; how do you know all this?
and what would you say as to 'why' there is all this?
"Mind altering" ideas.

In school I was warned about the dangers of psychoactive drugs. But I was never warned about the dangers of psychoactive ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
11,253 posts, read 9,807,744 times
Reputation: 14348
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I try not to "know" things that I can't prove.
As soon as we begin to know the unprovable, we often close off our sphere of awareness to new information.
I can't prove one single thing I ever experienced !

I really' know' things (because of being shown, not cuz I'm some know it all!)..and tomorrow
they may expand and thus, change or morph into something
broader even...new, more awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top