U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

477 posts, read 190,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Sorry mam.

Lol, don't get your toes in a twist, I am willing to admit that you can create any kinda fantasy reality you wish, most of the people I know like to invent their own history, and so you are in the majority, everyone gets to believe as they wish.
Thank you for granting me freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It was in response to her opinion/personal belief; it’s not necessary to ‘throw confetti in the air’ in an attempt to sidetrack attention from a simple ‘black and white’ point as it pertains to this thread. It’s her opinion/belief in a forum, which she is entitled to have.
Thank you for granting me the right to my own opinions.

Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

1,315 posts, read 258,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Thank you for granting me the right to my own opinions.
I wasn’t ‘granting’, I was respecting your right (and admittedly, it can be more difficult to do so with some people

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

I hear ya, but sometimes it feels otherwise!

Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

19,082 posts, read 13,875,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
I would likely try to have him committed, assuming he wasn't just high on something.
And yet that is the foundation of christianity.

Quote:
So show me this absolute "truth" or reality you speak of.
Are you for real?

Truth is universal, because it's objective, not subjective.

If you don't understand the difference between objectivity and subjectivity, take an instrument that puts ink on paper.

We can call that instrument a ball-point pen, or a kugelschreiber (German) or a stilou (Romanian), but whatever we call it does not alter its existence or function, because what we call it is subjective, meaning it's totally dependent upon us.

Earth is an object and falls in the realm of objectivity. Earth existed before you existed, will exist long after you cease to exist, and Earth's existence isn't dependent upon your existence, because if you stop thinking about Earth, the Earth just doesn't disappear.

Your thoughts, ideas and beliefs are all subjective, because they cease to exist the moment you cease to exist. Other people can have the same thoughts, ideas and beliefs as you, but that doesn't make it true.

For a very long time, about 1,500 years, everyone believed the Earth was the center of the Universe. That was later proven false, but the fact that Billions of people over the course of 1,500 years believed that didn't make it come true.

There are many universal truths, way too many for one person to even attempt to list.

Old Today, 03:31 AM

14,806 posts, read 10,080,539 times
Quote:
Hey, I'm not a dude! And I still don't get your comment???? And I still stand by my statement...in many ways we each create our own reality or maybe it's in many ways our own reality creates us....or did I just say the same thing?
No, we don't create 'reality'. I say the Earth is round, you say the Earth is flat. Now you can really convince yourself that the Earth is flat to the extent that you believe that it really is true, that it is real, but in fact, it's not real is it... because the only truth is that the Earth is round.

Old Today, 09:44 AM

Well, i believe it's not exactly round...but anyway, we are just going to go 'round and 'round, as we are talking about two different things. I was speaking more of an "internal" reality...our experiences in life create our mind-set about life. If you grow up in a family of gangsters, you probably feel more comfortable committing crimes than someone brought up in a family of police. In general, anyway. As for "external" reality, we are limited by our senses and our brain's interpretation of the information provided by those senses. How do we know what we are seeing is a true representation of "reality"? You can say we can bring in machines to do measurements, but those measurements are still being interpreted by our limited senses and brains. IMO, we can never completely access the true nature of reality or what is being called Absolute Truth, with the limited equipment we possess and since most of the atheist posters on here will state that is the only equipment that is "real", we are where we are. Walking blindly, trying to see.

Old Today, 10:15 AM

30,574 posts, read 31,372,188 times
Quote:
Well, i believe it's not exactly round...but anyway, we are just going to go 'round and 'round, as we are talking about two different things. I was speaking more of an "internal" reality...our experiences in life create our mind-set about life. If you grow up in a family of gangsters, you probably feel more comfortable committing crimes than someone brought up in a family of police. In general, anyway. As for "external" reality, we are limited by our senses and our brain's interpretation of the information provided by those senses. How do we know what we are seeing is a true representation of "reality"? You can say we can bring in machines to do measurements, but those measurements are still being interpreted by our limited senses and brains. IMO, we can never completely access the true nature of reality or what is being called Absolute Truth, with the limited equipment we possess and since most of the atheist posters on here will state that is the only equipment that is "real", we are where we are. Walking blindly, trying to see.
Did you take the blue pill?

Old Today, 10:53 AM

yep...and actually, that's a pretty good example. How do we know we aren't hallucinating all this while hooked up to machines? How do we know we are not in a computer simulation? How do we know we know it's not all a hologram? How do we know we are not the dream of Brahma? There is really no way to know....except maybe take that pill!

Old Today, 11:44 AM

15,857 posts, read 7,971,126 times
Quote:
This rings true to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality