U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 05:46 PM

12,832 posts, read 10,806,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Are you saying it created itself?
OMG, you don't even know how close you ARE!!! Mr. Buddhist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 01:09 AM

5,522 posts, read 2,604,874 times
Miss Hepburn - you are a delight!

Old 10-25-2017, 08:39 AM

12,832 posts, read 10,806,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Miss Hepburn - you are a delight!
And this is why I get invited to many parties!

Old 01-18-2018, 07:51 PM

2,273 posts, read 2,224,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I ask this because someone said we don't know why.
But I bet many in this bunch have ideas...
If this has been asked before I am so sorry...I haven't seen a thread on it.
I sure isn't a new question!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is a variation on the philosophical question, "why is there something rather than nothing"? Of course one could just as well ask, "why expect nothing rather than something"? There is also the problem that there is no such thing as "nothing" ... even the vacuum of space is non-empty. "Nothing" is relative, not absolute. In any case, "nothing" has meaning only relative to "something".

So ... it's basically an unanswerable question, and in my view, not even a useful question.
Asking "why anything exists" or "why is there something rather than nothing" automatically suggests that there is an imputed or assigned purpose and "imputing or assigning purpose" to existence automatically pre-assumes that there is, in fact, a "mindfulness" behind it all . . . so therefore there "must" be a mindful being behind it all (or, in some viewpoints analogous to some form of pantheism or panentheism, that the cosmos itself has a mind inherent in it). But the fact is that we don't epistemologically know nor can we in any way prove that such a being or beings are real . . . or, for that matter, that the cosmos itself has mindfulness. This isn't saying that there absolutely isn't a mindful being or beings (a so-called "god" or "gods" ) behind it all or that the cosmos itself absolutely does not have an inherent mindfulness but just that we are not equipped to validate such an assertion (if we ever will be able to do so, for that matter).

In summary, it is reasonble to state that the "why" question is useless to ask unless we first prove (not just assert or assume based on faith subscriptions) but prove in a valid, supportable way, that there IS, in fact, such a mindful entity (or entities) or mindfulness-at-large behind it all. It is understandable for anyone to wonder about such questions but there appears to be no valid provability regarding a mind or minds being responsbile for it all and hence, unless and until we can FIRST prove such a mind(s) being behind it all, it is fair to say that we can't pre-assume that there is some implanted or imputed "purpose" behind why there is something rather than nothing. All we are left with is to say that "there simply is . . . and it is a mystery". Though Mordant offered up the following food-for-thought: "Of course one could just as well ask, 'why expect nothing rather than something?'''.

Last edited by UsAll; 01-18-2018 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 08:14 PM

14,070 posts, read 8,590,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Asking "why anything exists" or "why is there something rather than nothing" automatically suggests that there is an imputed or assigned purpose ...
Kinda-sorta, but not necessarily.

The Big Bang obviously had a bias toward matter over anti-matter, though the mechanism is not yet understood. So one can imagine an answer to this question that doesn't involve (explicit or implied) agency. The matter / antimatter question is a question of why the BB didn't result in the two canceling each other out (that is, a BB without a happy ending).

But you're right, those who ask the question tend to be theists who are begging the question precisely as you suggest.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:11 PM

2,657 posts, read 1,389,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Why do you think anything exists;here, anywhere?

I ask this because someone said we don't know why.
But I bet many in this bunch have ideas...
If this has been asked before I am so sorry...I haven't seen a thread on it.
I sure isn't a new question!
The answer to why is always cause and effect. One event causing another another. From our point of view this is a perfectly reasonable way of looking at things but perhaps at a deep fundamental level it is wrong. Instead of saying one event causes another event we should instead say that one event influences another event.

The first event was not influenced by any previous event. Asking why that first event happened is just another way of asking what event caused that first event to happen. That is simply the wrong way to look at it. The answer to the question is that it is the wrong question to ask.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:32 PM

37,606 posts, read 25,300,228 times
Default Why do you think anything exists;here, anywhere?

The only phenomenon we actually know about that can create something out of nothing is our consciousness using its ability to imagine. It isn't hard for me to imagine that our reality is the product of a Cosmic Consciousness that we would call God. Many serious philosophers and scientists have suggested that our reality is more like a Great Thought than a Great Machine.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The only phenomenon we actually know about that can create something out of nothing is our consciousness using its ability to imagine. It isn't hard for me to imagine that our reality is the product of a Cosmic Consciousness that we would call God. Many serious philosophers and scientists have suggested that our reality is more like a Great Thought than a Great Machine.
where did the mind come from?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:43 PM

37,606 posts, read 25,300,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
where did the mind come from?
Why does it need to come from somewhere?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:50 PM

Why does matter need to come from somewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality