Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 02:54 PM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
A god can’t be an absolute ‘truth’ or reality, because it is not knowable or measurable - but it can be your personal opinion/belief. Big difference.
So show me this absolute "truth" or reality you speak of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 02:56 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
LOL!!! I think seriously it is just a different way of looking at things. And, definitely, people are more emotionally involved in being "right" and bashing the other side than they will admit to.
Not everyone thinks in those terms. You have a right to your personal beliefs/opinions (but that is a different thing than absolute truths).

Old 04-04-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
So show me this absolute "truth" or reality you speak of.
An absolute truth - something which is measurable, known, proveable - as in math or science as opposed to a relative truth or opinion (which is this thread).

Old 04-04-2019, 03:04 PM

So you wouldn't call it "luck" to be one of the people who just happened to be born that way? I value knowledge, period. Having an "spiritual experience" is not knowledge.

i disagree. It is knowledge, just not your definition of knowledge.

Maybe not, but surely you can see how saying (multiple times) that your experiences are somehow limited to just you and some other people sounds, right? You sound like the Christian who says, "You just haven't experienced God yet". Or like the JW's who think they are the only people on planet Earth that knows the "true religion". It sounds elitist, to be honest.

I honestly did not mean to sound elitist in any way. Just trying to explain the reasoning behind my beliefs.

Why is that unfair? What would you call someone who admits to not caring about truth, and only caring about things that fit their already held beliefs??? I'm genuinely curious.

I never said I did not care about the truth. My truth is not your truth. And just for the record not THE TRUTH.

I also have very thick skin, and don't let stupid stuff bother me. You should try it.

I fail to see the need for this dig at me. I have taken quite a few insults here, and I honestly don't feel that I have emotionally retaliated in any way.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
An absolute truth - something which is measurable, known, proveable - as in math or science as opposed to a relative truth or opinion (which is this thread).
I would disagree. Absolute truth does not exist. Only approximations to the truth. The true nature of existence remains a mystery. Hence the original post and all the ensuing posts.....

Old 04-04-2019, 03:16 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
This question takes me back to every bad acid trip I had as a teen. The more you ponder it, the more lost you will be. Even though it’s been over 45 years, I remember that lesson.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 PM
nng

695 posts, read 289,181 times
I personally think it's amazing that things, matter for example, exist at all. Why does something exist, rather than nothing at all?

Old 04-04-2019, 03:59 PM

79 posts, read 48,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
I personally think it's amazing that things, matter for example, exist at all. Why does something exist, rather than nothing at all?
same here. i'm actually quite annoyed that people I've spoken to in the past about this never seemed to be as baffled as me. existence itself blows my mind.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I would disagree. Absolute truth does not exist. Only approximations to the truth. The true nature of existence remains a mystery. Hence the original post and all the ensuing posts.....
I was speaking to math and science.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:06 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
I was speaking to math and science.
Godel would agree with Unicorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality