U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:24 AM

5,285 posts, read 1,326,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
But I have. It's not that difficult.

I'm sorry you don't possess the strength of character required to stop hurting your god.
In my opinion, your actions show otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 09:26 AM

23,270 posts, read 12,056,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
In my opinion, your actions show otherwise.
Fortunately, your opinion and a fart in a windstorm have equal merit.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:28 AM

655 posts, read 238,724 times
Quote:
When you guys attack our religion non-stop, what do you really expect us to do? Every single day on this forum, we see folks mock, insult, and make fun of our religion. What would you have us do?
I don't think it's a personal attack. I think it's pointing out what non-believers see as fundamentally flawed and really obvious contradictions (at least to them) and trying to help others become more open minded. But if one has trouble seeing something from any lens other than their own, it's going to feel like a personal attack.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:31 AM

18,888 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Quote:
When you guys attack our religion non-stop, what do you really expect us to do? Every single day on this forum, we see folks mock, insult, and make fun of our religion. What would you have us do?
Actually, very simple:

1. I was so bothered by what was happening "non-stop" on the politics and other controversies sub-forum, that I finally just stopped reading and participating in that sub-forum. Since you just admitted that you are making zero progress, perhaps it's time for you to seriously consider whether your participation is this sub-forum is helping or harming your cause (at least for me personally, it's harming your cause; the more I listen to you, LITERALLY the less respect I have for Christianity; every once in a while, a poster comes along who does remind me of some of the truly good aspects of Christianity).

2. The fate of the Christian religion does not rest on what happens in this little sub-forum. This sub-forum is about like one grain of sand in the desert. Perhaps the time you spend witnessing here...for naught...would be better spent working for your religion in some other setting. And before you say, "But you're here", yes, I am, but I am not trying to sell anyone anything. I'm not trying to convince anyone to be a Buddhist, nor am I trying to convince anyone to be an atheist, deist, or agnostic. I'm just chatting, I'm not on a mission to change anybody's mind.

3. Sticks and stones...

4. I have a number of Christian friends who volunteer their services weekly at a soup kitchen and for other charities. That I respect. How valuable would the time you spend here making things worse, would your time be worth actually making things better in another setting?

Old 10-25-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I don't think it's a personal attack. I think it's pointing out what non-believers see as fundamentally flawed and really obvious contradictions (at least to them) and trying to help others become more open minded. But if one has trouble seeing something from any lens other than their own, it's going to feel like a personal attack.
Regardless of how you view it, it sure feels personal. It's nonstop. It's rude and mean.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:32 AM

5,189 posts, read 1,977,570 times
Quote:
The good news is that we can be forgiven and brought into his unending love by trusting in Christ.

Your opinion of what God "should" be aside..you're not God. You don't get to decide that. He is. He created the universe, and HE gets to decide how things work. We are his creation, and we cannot tell HIM what to do.
So your God hares every person who is not a Christian or perhaps a born again Christian? I don't understand why you can not see why your belief is not respected when you have absolutely no respect for all other religious beliefs. Little wonder you cannot appreciate a single thing of another religion. So your God hates the majority of humans alive today and in the past but he is a loving God full of mercy but only for those lucky enough to have been born a Christian or to convert to onr, otherwise he is hateful and without mercy?

What we can do is point out the fact that your claims of what God does is not borne out in reality. And we can point out where in your Bible he seems immoral and mean spirited. There is no more proof that he created the Universe than there is for any other God having done so.

I am not sure that to me it is Good News that I can join up with one group of people who think everyone else are sinners and hated by God because they are not part of this group. It does not matter how good or bad one is, the only thing your God cares about is that you believe that Jesus died for your sins?

It's rather a depressing mindset to have in my opinion. To look down at so many others "knowing" they are unworthy due to not believing exactly what you do.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Fortunately, your opinion and a fart in a windstorm have equal merit.
You have such a way with words!

Old 10-25-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Actually, very simple:

1. I was so bothered by what was happening "non-stop" on the politics and other controversies sub-forum, that I finally just stopped reading and participating in that sub-forum. Since you just admitted that you are making zero progress, perhaps it's time for you to seriously consider whether your participation is this sub-forum is helping or harming your cause (at least for me personally, it's harming your cause; the more I listen to you, LITERALLY the less respect I have for Christianity; every once in a while, a poster comes along who does remind me of some of the truly good aspects of Christianity).
Progress isn't judged by whether or not a few mean-spirited people suddenly give up being nasty. It's by the people that lurk here, and read my defense of the faith. It's by the ones that have messaged me privately to thank me for answering back to them.
Quote:
2. The fate of the Christian religion does not rest on what happens in this little sub-forum. This sub-forum is about like one grain of sand in the desert. Perhaps the time you spend witnessing here...for naught...would be better spent working for your religion in some other setting. And before you say, "But you're here", yes, I am, but I am not trying to sell anyone anything. I'm not trying to convince anyone to be a Buddhist, nor am I trying to convince anyone to be an atheist, deist, or agnostic. I'm just chatting, I'm not on a mission to change anybody's mind.
But there are people that enjoy reading me defend the faith, and I enjoy sharpening my apologetics skills here. I certainly have as much right to post here as you do, so please don't tell me to stop posting. I believe that's a rules violation.
Quote:
3. Sticks and stones...

4. I have a number of Christian friends who volunteer their services weekly at a soup kitchen and for other charities. That I respect. How valuable would the time you spend here making things worse, would your time be worth actually making things better in another setting?
Why do you make the assumption that I DON'T do anything like that?

Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 AM

23,270 posts, read 12,056,137 times
Quote:
Regardless of how you view it, it sure feels personal. It's nonstop. It's rude and mean.
Maybe if you cut down on your sinning, you'd feel a smidge better.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Old vaudeville routine:

Patient: Doctor, when I do dis (patient bends his arm a certain way) it hoits.

Doctor: Den don't do dat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or