Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 PM

678 posts, read 429,360 times

Advertisements

Not many may want to respond to this thread, but thought it could be interesting and I and others could learn from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 07:51 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
I find the basic concepts of Buddhism appealing and largely true -- that life is difficult, all things impermanent, and we spend way too much time living in the past or the future rather than the present. The lack of a deity is also very nice, it keeps things relatively simple, although they do have other crufty mythologies and pomp and circumstance.

I don't personally get much traction out of meditation, though I'm open to it and have tried it. Partly because I'm not a broadly anxious person and have a pretty disciplined mind to begin with. But I respect the basic teachings just the same. Besides, little known fact -- lay meditation has not been a focus of Buddhism until the past century or so anyway.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:17 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Different facets of Paganism--I seem to have "practiced" them all my life without thinking it was...Paganism. Thought it was just normal communion with the natural world. Connections with things like rocks and trees and wind and fire and seeing the ocean as Mother, for example, and my own little made-up rituals centered around those elements. Feeling a connection to birds.

In my more recent studies of Christianity, I became drawn to what's called Franciscan (as in "of Assisi") theology, which is a connection with creation and seeing ourselves as part of it, not apart from it. It resonates.

mordant--my daughter practices Buddhism to some degree (but also has a Ganesh on her wall and refers to her HP, as do most people who are in recovery programs). I also adopted the awareness of impermanence as an important part of my spiritual/life outlook.

In my Christian tradition, we do something called Centering Prayer--it's basically a form of meditation. Silence as the "first language of God", letting thoughts go as they come in, having a sacred word to pull you back from your thoughts.

As far as Islam goes, I like the way they adhere to Inshallah--God's will. Don't worry, Que Sera, Sera, what will happen is meant to happen. That soothes a World Class Worrier With Oak Leaf Cluster like me.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:55 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Re: Christian denominations other than my own, I am truly in awe of so many of the beautiful Catholic cathedrals I've been in around the world. They touch my heart in a way I have a hard time expressing.

Re: Non-Christian religions: I have seen many Baha'i scriptures quoted, and I find them to be eloquent, almost poetic, and inspirational.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:05 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
There are some great aspects of Zen Buddhism, Taoism, and Native American spirituality that I find not only compatible, but mutually beneficial, with the Gospels. They are universal truths spoken in different "languages" in a sense, but you can pick up on the commonality.

Though coming from a different angle, teachings parallel each other, and can make learning stronger by combining the multiple teachings together.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
There are some great aspects of Zen Buddhism, Taoism, and Native American spirituality that I find not only compatible, but mutually beneficial, with the Gospels. They are universal truths spoken in different "languages" in a sense, but you can pick up on the commonality.

Though coming from a different angle, teachings parallel each other, and can make learning stronger by combining the multiple teachings together.
Bingo. Learning makes one's own spirituality stronger and draws us closer to one another.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Re: Christian denominations other than my own, I am truly in awe of so many of the beautiful Catholic cathedrals I've been in around the world. They touch my heart in a way I have a hard time expressing.

Re: Non-Christian religions: I have seen many Baha'i scriptures quoted, and I find them to be eloquent, almost poetic, and inspirational.
Yes, I have a Baha'i quote on my refrigerator.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:40 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
The history, art, architecture and music. Love those early church organs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxwZTfILJDA

And, if ever I visit the Philippines, this is why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTuRk5hO4cI

(one of Bach's Harpsichord concertos performed on the Las Pinas Bamboo organ).

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-24-2017 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 03:32 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The history, art, architecture and music. Love those early church organs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxwZTfILJDA

And, if ever I visit the Philippines, this is why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTuRk5hO4cI

(one of Bach's Harpsichord concertos performed on the Las Pinas Bamboo organ).
I agree. I enjoy the architecture and some of the music. And the bloody history. And yes, those organs in some of the older churches.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:29 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
if you get people to believe in magic, there isn't a thing that you can't get them to do.
Like training a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality