Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 07:43 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
...soooo...the resurrection of Lazarus is to be understood metaphorically?
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
It could be. Or one could say that Lazarus was in a coma, or was one of the many cases where someone was buried alive.
Thank you both . This refutes entirely the Metaphorical Bible excuse. Many people DO take it literally. Many more take some of it literally, and others don't take any of it literally but think that Jesus is still a real experience for them or the teachings are good, whether or niot he actually said them or not.

Those who take it is any way the affects our society demand our attention and those who don't simply don't concern us. They can believe whatever they like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 09:52 AM

1,220 posts, read 986,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
its the only way to take the story. taking it literal is illogical.
So when you order a cheeseburger, they don't take your word literally...so they serve you up metaphorically?

Honor your mother and father...metaphor? Noah and the flood...metaphor? Adam and Eve...metaphor? You cherry picker you.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thank you both . This refutes entirely the Metaphorical Bible excuse. Many people DO take it literally. Many more take some of it literally, and others don't take any of it literally but think that Jesus is still a real experience for them or the teachings are good, whether or niot he actually said them or not.

Those who take it is any way the affects our society demand our attention and those who don't simply don't concern us. They can believe whatever they like.
I do take God's Word literally...whether it relates the truth through allegory or metaphor. I do not however expect what I take literally to be accepted laterally. Those of you who take "science" (such as the "Big Bang")
literally (and "you" is millions of people) expect lateral acceptance. Tit for tat...back and forth through the ages they battled...assumed authority in Rome vs. assumed authority anywhere.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:14 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
So when you order a cheeseburger, they don't take your word literally...so they serve you up metaphorically?

Honor your mother and father...metaphor? Noah and the flood...metaphor? Adam and Eve...metaphor? You cherry picker you.
what? of course I cherry pick. Its the reasonable thing to do. You literal religious and literal anti-theists types just can't understand the notion of doing the best we can with what we gots.

translate this literally.

"thats one bad set of wheels you got there bro."

yes, honor your father and mother are metaphors. If my father is a bad person i call the police on him. I am bound by a larger set of rules. work hard, earn ones keep, one is responsible for ones actions, and help when you can. Those transcend my team's T-shirt with the big "A" on it.

How I so wish I could pass personal accountability onto a book or blame religion. Not thinking would be so nice. Like a dogs life in a nice family home. But I have whats in front of us to deal with.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:19 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,009 times
Quote:
No it doesn't.
Sorry old thing but anyone that stands in front of me insisting that the Earth is flat is not worth the effort of a discussion.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:46 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

1. This isn't about cheeseburgers. Cheeseburgers are not comparable to Christianity or any other religion or faith system.

2. Cherry picking is what intelligent people do. People who don't or can't think swallow everything handed to them. And here's a good example: honor thy father and mother? So if the father repeatedly molests his child, he deserves the child's respect? If the father repeatedly beats the mother, the father deserves the child's respect? I'll cherry pick that one to pieces.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:59 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
I do take God's Word literally...whether it relates the truth through allegory or metaphor. I do not however expect what I take literally to be accepted laterally. Those of you who take "science" (such as the "Big Bang")
literally (and "you" is millions of people) expect lateral acceptance. Tit for tat...back and forth through the ages they battled...assumed authority in Rome vs. assumed authority anywhere.
You can expect whatever you like, but whatever you believe is not going to be accepted by anyone else just because you expect it.

Your attitude however does point up a persistent blank space in the mindset of theist apologists - because obviously they think that Faith is the only way anyone could come to believe anything at all. The cumulative credibility coming from validated evidence just doesn't seem to matter. As one commentator put it - they constantly try to make out that Science and faith are a lwevel playing field (equal validity as evidence). They absolutely do not.

And yet - Evidence does figure in faith -based apologetics, but only as a means to an end. It is like This trick (like" look around, the horizon is level") or That trick (like 'all those pics and films are faked...prove they are not') and if the point is debunked, it Doesn't Seem To Matter - if it didn't do the job it could be forgotten. That's why sneering references to the Big bang (which some Believers think is evidence for God) is considered valid argument and understanding what it's about doesn't come into it at all.

Is it any wonder fewer and fewer people are taking that sort of apologetics as nothing more than foolishness or dishonesty?

Old 11-12-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
what? of course I cherry pick. Its the reasonable thing to do. You literal religious and literal anti-theists types just can't understand the notion of doing the best we can with what we gots.

translate this literally.

"thats one bad set of wheels you got there bro."

yes, honor your father and mother are metaphors. If my father is a bad person i call the police on him. I am bound by a larger set of rules. work hard, earn ones keep, one is responsible for ones actions, and help when you can. Those transcend my team's T-shirt with the big "A" on it.

How I so wish I could pass personal accountability onto a book or blame religion. Not thinking would be so nice. Like a dogs life in a nice family home. But I have whats in front of us to deal with.
If you're bound by those rules you just laid out, then you're a literalist. Work...the Bible teaches that if you don't...then you don't eat either. Taking responsibility for your actions...helping others...all "things" to be taken literally. If taken metaphorically...then you're (not personal you...general you) probably rude and disrespectful to your parents and deserve a literal ass whoopin.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You can expect whatever you like, but whatever you believe is not going to be accepted by anyone else just because you expect it.

Your attitude however does point up a persistent blank space in the mindset of theist apologists - because obviously they think that Faith is the only way anyone could come to believe anything at all. The cumulative credibility coming from validated evidence just doesn't seem to matter. As one commentator put it - they constantly try to make out that Science and faith are a lwevel playing field (equal validity as evidence). They absolutely do not.

And yet - Evidence does figure in faith -based apologetics, but only as a means to an end. It is like This trick (like" look around, the horizon is level") or That trick (like 'all those pics and films are faked...prove they are not') and if the point is debunked, it Doesn't Seem To Matter - if it didn't do the job it could be forgotten. That's why sneering references to the Big bang (which some Believers think is evidence for God) is considered valid argument and understanding what it's about doesn't come into it at all.

Is it any wonder fewer and fewer people are taking that sort of apologetics as nothing more than foolishness or dishonesty?
You either drink too much and don't pay attention...or you have some sort of cognitive disorder. Whatever the case...God blessing you older brother...literally.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:44 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
If you're bound by those rules you just laid out, then you're a literalist. Work...the Bible teaches that if you don't...then you don't eat either. Taking responsibility for your actions...helping others...all "things" to be taken literally. If taken metaphorically...then you're (not personal you...general you) probably rude and disrespectful to your parents and deserve a literal ass whoopin.

bi
The Bible condones "ass whoopin"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality